Bonsai in Vietnam

GreenDwarf

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I was watching videos on youtube about bonsais in Vietnam and came across a few good ones about people like you and me showing off their trees. There is a channel where every month the best trees are selected for the videos. Nothing special but worth watching if you are passionate about bonsais and interested in tropical south east Asian style bonsais. Check out the channel when you get a chance.
It seems that the most popular trees over here are the Wrightia religiosa aka Water Jasmine, the desmodium unifoliatum aka BlueBell and the ficus Benjamina.

Here are a few links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP-AhfQoOEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrPLrwV9r5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxlBiKneWAM

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And...trees are also everywhere...private and public collections. I was very impressed with the trees up in the Da Lat area. Trees in pots are common....and create the landscape effect in many locations.

Hon Non Bo (I can’t provide the Vietnamese accent marks) displays are numerous also and have good aged appearance as a result of a healthy humid growing climate.

Reaction score
I also saw this video about bonsai in Vietnam, from a Brazilian bonsai blogger (it's in Portuguese). Starts roughly at 1:40 into the video

The big difference appears to be that it's not just about the trees, but they try to mimic landscapes... so they create everything...

GreenDwarf

Seedling
Reaction score
Funny thing is that only a few people use Akadama here. It seems that the very hot climate requires a soil that keeps more moisture. The high price makes it also difficult to afford it for locals, even though it's only $11 for 35 lbs bags which is way cheaper than in the US I believe. I repotted all my trees with Akadama and have been watering twice a day my trees on the balcony and no problem with root rot. The heat makes the water evaporate quickly. No need for chopsticks here lol
I also saw this video about bonsai in Vietnam, from a Brazilian bonsai blogger (it's in Portuguese). Starts roughly at 1:40 into the video

The big difference appears to be that it's not just about the trees, but they try to mimic landscapes... so they create everything...
Nice video brother. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

GreenDwarf

Seedling
Reaction score
And...trees are also everywhere...private and public collections. I was very impressed with the trees up in the Da Lat area. Trees in pots are common....and create the landscape effect in many locations.

Hon Non Bo (I can’t provide the Vietnamese accent marks) displays are numerous also and have good aged appearance as a result of a healthy humid growing climate.

I hope you had a blast during your visit. I myself just got into bonsais so I wasn't really paying attention to trees before when I went to Dalat

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Funny thing is that only a few people use Akadama here. It seems that the very hot climate requires a soil that keeps more moisture. The high price makes it also difficult to afford it for locals, even though it's only $11 for 35 lbs bags which is way cheaper than in the US I believe. I repotted all my trees with Akadama and have been watering twice a day my trees on the balcony and no problem with root rot. The heat makes the water evaporate quickly. No need for chopsticks here lol

Nice video brother. Thanks for sharing.
$11 is a lot in Vietnam. The native clay type soil works just fine. The trees are fine with that choice....holds moisture during the dry season and drains well during the wet season.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

What kind of tree is this?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Wild compositions towards end of that vid. Taiwan or Vietnam have ficus root live bridges if I remember right

Top Bottom