Bonsai Inspirations - Harry Harrington

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
As long as they're not obnoxious about it, it's OK by me.

Yeah, me too. I guess obnoxious is in the eye of the beholder though. The comparison to the thread you linked is laughable though, as Walter did not initiate the thread to advertise his site or services, he merely chimed in and provided a link when others initiated a discussion on their own. Also, I don't think anyone would accuse Walter of not contributing to this board. As far as I recall he has always been helpful and chimed in with advice from time to time without merely promoting himself or his products/services. It is the self-promotion without contribution to which I took exception, Bonsai Basho gave his explanation and I left it at that. I see a distinct difference in the threads you're comparing, but apparently I'm off on my own on this one so I'll just let it go...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't get it.....why get all upset over something as little as this? He took the time to write a review and is sharing it with us. What's the big deal?

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
OK Ross

You know what Ross. I wasn't going to say this but you got to me - you really did and you are the first who did - you just can't leave it can you ?

It's none of your damn business but what the heck it's no secret. I lost my wife 12 years ago, had to bring up my 2 kids alone. Met someone 8 years ago who introduced me to Bonsai. I found peace there, with her and in bonsai. I wanted to share what I found that's why I do Bonsai Basho. I have a business but it isn't BB and I don't do it for money or ego.

Why don't you do something instead of insulting people who do. Where's your book Ross?, your website that people can go to for free? Hey perhaps you can host an exhibition and I can come and protest because you weren't 'pure' and had traders there. Hey,Start your own Forum and I'll come and question your morals! You don't sell trees on Ebay do you - shameless!

I did BB so I could give something back, no agenda, no politics and no profit - just good bonsai and good informaion. Finding peace in this art was one of the things that put me back together. I want to pass that on - why do you do it?

If you really want to know about what I do then have the guts to ask before you start bad mouthing me. PM me and we'll do some straight talking if you are capable of it. I have a suspicion that you'll just post here so you have an audience.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
You know what Ross. I wasn't going to say this but you got to me - you really did and you are the first who did - you just can't leave it can you?

First off, I'm sorry for your loss and glad you were able to find peace through bonsai, but to be clear, I was reasonably satisfied when you first explained that BB is not set up to make money, and I only posted again because I came under attack. I still wish that you would post content here instead of merely linking to content on your own site, but you don't seem willing to do that, and that's your right. However, in the posts I have seen of yours in the last few months, it is impossible to carry on a reasonable, on-topic discussion without clicking your link and viewing content from BonsaiBasho.com. Seriously, every single topic you have started here just links to content over there! I wouldn't have taken exception to anything if you had just posted the content here, followed by a link to your site. Additional content here is good for BNut, and the link you provide will still drive traffic to your site - a win-win situation! Ultimately my opinion is just one voice in the crowd though, and the buck stops with BNut, so if he's cool with it then great, it's his site, and I'm here because I think he does a good job with it. I spoke up because I took exception with what I perceived as a slight to this community, and I am very probably in the minority on this point, but that doesn't mean I can't say my piece. I don't know you, your family, your trees, even your name, and I never tried to make this personal so I don't know why you are taking it as such. Obviously we are both probably very passionate about bonsai, and I suggest we just agree to disagree, and put our differences of opinion aside in favor of something more productive.

Peace,
Ross

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what Ross. If you really want to know about what I do then have the guts to ask before you start bad mouthing me. PM me and we'll do some straight talking if you are capable of it. I have a suspicion that you'll just post here so you have an audience.

You used to be a cop Phil?

You take over a web site a few years back when someone bailed on another web site?

You kinda remind me of that guy a few years back......His name was Phil too.....I don't remember the web site.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Just in case it was seen, I deleted my last post. I have been wrong before, hard to believe I know but it is true.

Ross, ya know, you have always been an agreeable sort. I apologize for being a little belligerent.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I saw it and I thought you made some good points, and you didn't have to delete it because I deserve a little heat. Reading through this thread again I come off like an ass and for that I owe you and Bonsai Basho an apology. I could have made my point without being such a dick and for that I am sorry.

Peace,
Ross

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I saw it and I thought you made some good points, and you didn't have to delete it because I deserve a little heat. Reading through this thread again I come off like an ass and for that I owe you and Bonsai Basho an apology. I could have made my point without being such a dick and for that I am sorry.

Peace,
Ross

As grouper said above, "Here at BNut, we tend to operate like old mountain goats, frequently establishing respect and friendship by first bashing heads together." I tend to get carried away for the sake of arguing at times... not proud of that just a fact. Olive Branch?

OliveWoodTrees.gif

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the Apology

Dear Ross Thanks for the apology, accepted and respected. I'm sorry I let rip at you. Lets move on.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pleasure butting heads - I'll get to your book, I'll be honest and I'll re list it :)

My pleasure as well - you put the "Bash" in Basho.

Your post's not clear, though - do you want me to send you a promo book on which to write your review? The books I've set aside as promo books are usually ones that were slightly marred in printing or shipping, but should suffice for your purposes.

If I send you one, though, my only stipulation is that you must write a review making it clear that - except for Harry's book, of course - Gnarly Branches is so darned special and wonderful that it's the ONLY worthwhile bonsai book ever written. Fair enough? :D

Seriously, though - my only request, which I've asked of all those I've sent promo books to, is that you actually read the entire book before writing the review, and that you write an honest review, not one all gussied up for the sake of any post-headbashing affection we've developed for each other here. Like my dear old Mama taught me, "If you can't say anything nice, then make darned sure you say it to the entire world, as loud and as often as you can, and shout 'em down and threaten 'em with a baseball bat if they disagree." My Mama said that, bless her soul. She done raised me real good.

PM me with your address if you want to take me up on that. If not, no problem.

Will

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks Will

Thanks Will please do send the book, It has to get all the way over to England tho. I'll send you a PM and if you let me know the shipping cost I'll send you a paypal to cobver it.

As for the review, I will read the whole book and I'll probably ask you some questions about it before I write.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Any Idea when this will be out in the states? I would love a new book and bonsai4me has always been a go to website for info, I look forward to Harry's new material.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't look like it has local distribution in the US yet. I gave up waiting and just ordered a copy yesterday. It'll most likely come over by boat, so I might be waiting awhile. Of course for the truly impatient it's apparently available on the Amazon Kindle store online for a fraction of the cost. I'd still rather have the hardcopy, though.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Doesn't look like it has local distribution in the US yet. I gave up waiting and just ordered a copy yesterday. It'll most likely come over by boat, so I might be waiting awhile. Of course for the truly impatient it's apparently available on the Amazon Kindle store online for a fraction of the cost. I'd still rather have the hardcopy, though.

I may have to just give in soon and order it too. I feel the same way about having a hardcopy.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got my copy in the mail today. It took just under 2 weeks to get to the US. Not bad! I've had a quick flick through it and it looks like it has tonnes of useful info. It's not so much a gallery book or general bonsai info book, as it is a detailed process book. It follows the progress of a bunch of trees over time and what work he did to them, along with the results years later. I can't wait to get stuck into it :)

Top Bottom