bonsai Jedi?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few more "you know you're past being a beginner when":

You find yourself thinking of new ways to sneak new trees past the spouse and into the backyard.
You carve $200 off the cost of a new tree when the spouse catches you and asks "how much was THAT?"

I've become an expert at these two :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My biggest tell was when I found that the number of people who could ANSWER the questions I had left, backed by experience and not theory, were only counted in the handful instead of hundreds. Didn't mean I was a Jedi... but I also found there was nothing left for me to post in the beginners section.

You'll find you are answering more questions than you ask. Even better... the answers you gave (based on all those fabulous books and blogs you've read) when you first started, have been replaced by real world experience and the wisdom to know that it is not likely that the person who is asking the question can approach a tree the same way you did because the variables are vast.

In photography forums the members list all of the gear they use, almost to the ridiculous. I thought it was odd at first, but then it started to help me quantify their results/experience by having a sense of the equipment they used to get the great photographs I was enjoying. Then you could tell who the real artists were, because their photographs transcended the gear they used to get them. It went beyond the craft of getting a clear clean shot to being something that changed the way I could view the world through a lens, and became art.

Maybe we could do something like that... :) But it has to be less than 500 characters. ;)(see example below)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
When do you know that you've advanced past beginner stage? Is it years invested, or bonsai to show for it, or being able to see the "tree within?" Is it knowing the definition of nebari and tunuki? Maybe it is when you know the different needle plucking and candle work schemes for JWP vs JBP? Perhaps its when you can shamelessly plug your very own bonsai sites at any given opportunity? I'm just a beginner (I think? :confused: ) and was wondering when one should stop posting in the beginners section.

-Dave

Dave, no matter where you ARE. you are never THERE. The journey is what's important.The destination is always just out of sight.

Mike

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The journey is what's important.The destination is always just out of sight."

Weeellllll, I dunnno....:D The destination IS pretty important. If you have no idea where you're headed you will have a long arduous trip filled with avoidable hardship...The destination isn't out of sight, It should be in the bonsaiist's head at some point. A trip without an idea of a destination is mostly aimless wandering...

Trees DO get completed and can stay that way for a year or so:D. Knowing what you want is more than half the battle in getting it...Also knowing when to stop has always been a struggle for artists....When did Michelangelo know the ceiling was "done" Knowing when to stop is a big ingredient in any art.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
"The journey is what's important.The destination is always just out of sight."

Weeellllll, I dunnno....:D The destination IS pretty important. If you have no idea where you're headed you will have a long arduous trip filled with avoidable hardship...The destination isn't out of sight, It should be in the bonsaiist's head at some point. A trip without an idea of a destination is mostly aimless wandering...

Trees DO get completed and can stay that way for a year or so:D. Knowing what you want is more than half the battle in getting it...Also knowing when to stop has always been a struggle for artists....When did Michelangelo know the ceiling was "done" Knowing when to stop is a big ingredient in any art.

A lot of the time Mother Nature or her sidekick Murphy will decide for you, so don't worry too much about it........

keep it green,
Harry

Hisaoka

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beginners Forever!

Never Stop Learning.

As it was told, on his death bed Jigoro Kano, the founder and therefore best Judo practitioner of his time, called together his top students and asked to be buried in his white belt.

Top Bottom