bonsai Jedi?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When do you know that you've advanced past beginner stage? Is it years invested, or bonsai to show for it, or being able to see the "tree within?" Is it knowing the definition of nebari and tunuki? Maybe it is when you know the different needle plucking and candle work schemes for JWP vs JBP? Perhaps its when you can shamelessly plug your very own bonsai sites at any given opportunity? I'm just a beginner (I think? :confused: ) and was wondering when one should stop posting in the beginners section.

-Dave

p.s. this story is fictitious any likeness to actual persons or events is strictly coincidental.

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
A difficult question with too many possibilities. I think you never stop learning even when at some stage you may think you know it all. As far as the beginner section I think its your personal choice.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Never, help all you can for our hobby to grow......

keep it green,
Harry

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your trees will show it.

While this is true I don't think it is the entire criteria for advancing from Padawan bonsai learner to bonsai Jedi. I think it starts when you can, as Dave said, "see the tree within". You might not be able to afford material worthy of your talents....but you can still "see the tree within" for the material you do have....and it may take years to develop the "tree within" the material, but you as an artist are at the bonsai Jedi level long before your trees can show for it. Unless you can buy nice "finished" trees that are already at that level.....but then that might take you to the dark side;):D

HB Smith

Seedling
Reaction score
Unless you can buy nice "finished" trees that are already at that level.....but then that might take you to the dark side;):D

Buying finished trees gives the bonsai Jedi food and shelter. It's when you are doing a demo and push the tree too far for the sake of the demo that you have begun your journey to the dark side.

Howard

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buying finished trees gives the bonsai Jedi food and shelter. It's when you are doing a demo and push the tree too far for the sake of the demo that you have begun your journey to the dark side.

Howard

LOL....true!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When die, your trees do not, bonsai jedi you are.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Howard

I thought it was when you started braiding trees.

Darth Ficus

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like how this thread turned out. Thanks for posting. The funny thing is that I didn't title it until the pop up apperared that said I had to come up with a title. So on the spot I just typed in "bonsai jedi"
Now the geek in all of us has appeared. Some of you are very clever and creative. Thanks again.

-Dave

TrsH

Seedling
Reaction score
when you have mastered the skill to wax on wax off you are a true jedi my young padwansan.

wait i'm mixing 2 movies here :S

anywayz... i am your father luke! :cool:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You get past being a beginner when you realize the stuff you have been buying and working on set you back several years, and you vow to never do it again. That and you don't ask if it's ok to put a juni inside in a bright window.:D

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One day with no warning you walk out to your trees the light goes on and...."you get it"

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"When do you know that you've advanced past beginner stage? Is it years invested, or bonsai to show for it, or being able to see the "tree within?" Is it knowing the definition of nebari and tunuki? Maybe it is when you know the different needle plucking and candle work schemes for JWP vs JBP? Perhaps its when you can shamelessly plug your very own bonsai sites at any given opportunity? I'm just a beginner (I think? ) and was wondering when one should stop posting in the beginners section."

None of the above. There is no bright line that you step across into the land of advanced bonsai--there is, however, a secret handshake:D

You are no longer a beginner when (and this list is far from complete):
You stop buying little pagodas and pandas
you stop buying serissa
you stop thinking little bonsai grow into big bonsai
you consider spending more than $50 on a tree
you stop thinking you can get terrific material from Home Depot
you realize most outstanding bonsai are taller than 15 inches and mame and shohin are extremely difficult to pull off succesfully

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
"When do you know that you've advanced past beginner stage? Is it years invested, or bonsai to show for it, or being able to see the "tree within?" Is it knowing the definition of nebari and tunuki? Maybe it is when you know the different needle plucking and candle work schemes for JWP vs JBP? Perhaps its when you can shamelessly plug your very own bonsai sites at any given opportunity? I'm just a beginner (I think? ) and was wondering when one should stop posting in the beginners section."

None of the above. There is no bright line that you step across into the land of advanced bonsai--there is, however, a secret handshake:D

You are no longer a beginner when (and this list is far from complete):
You stop buying little pagodas and pandas
you stop buying serissa
you stop thinking little bonsai grow into big bonsai
you consider spending more than $50 on a tree
you stop thinking you can get terrific material from Home Depot
you realize most outstanding bonsai are taller than 15 inches and mame and shohin are extremely difficult to pull off succesfully

You don't have to have a drink befor cutting a branch.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
none of the above. There is no bright line that you step across into the land of advanced bonsai--there is, however, a secret handshake:d

lol.....:d

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
When you start considering trees with three zeros.............

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few more "you know you're past being a beginner when":

You find yourself thinking of new ways to sneak new trees past the spouse and into the backyard.
You carve $200 off the cost of a new tree when the spouse catches you and asks "how much was THAT?"
You know the difference between Tokoname and Yixing
You inadvertently and unknowingly use "nebari" in casual conversation about yard trees with your sister-in-law
You neighbors think you have some kind of mental problem
You water your trees even when it's raining a bit...

Top Bottom