Bonsai lighting for night viewing

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got few trees on benches or on ground that I'd like to view better when sitting outside. Any advice on:
- lights from above or below (light from below will be tricky for ones on benches)
-white or green light color?
Would running lighting all night every night affect the trees in anyway?
Thanks

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Got few trees on benches or on ground that I'd like to view better when sitting outside. Any advice on:
- lights from above or below (light from below will be tricky for ones on benches)
-white or green light color?
Would running lighting all night every night affect the trees in anyway?
Thanks
Night lighting + arguileh = creativity

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
White light can give the most natural colors, but it can screw up the way the plant perceives day length.
Some flowering plants are sensitive to day length, others keep their winter/summer dormancy based on the hours of light in a day.
I don't know which plants use what system, so you'll have to google around to find that out for every single one of them.

Green light is the safest, because it doesn't seem to have that effect on plants.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
At our local botanic garden, the bonsai are on stands, that have a frosted glass panel behind each tree. This provides neutral background, against which one can see the branch structure during the day. At night there are lights in the base the glass is mounted in. The light causes the panels to glow, white. This creates stark silhouettes, allowing you to appreciate the bonsai at night. There are also lights on the front edge of the stands, that shine up at the tree. The overall effect is quite beautiful.

As to color of the light. White light looks best to the human eye. I would not worry about "day length" sensitive trees. The lights will likely be low wattage, and majority of trees are not overly sensitive to light issues, or urban landscape trees would be all screwed up by the streetlights. The fact that urban street trees, and city park trees seem fairly healthy, means that they are not overly sensitive to light at night.

You can also control light exposure by simply turning lights off when you are not sitting in the garden. The lights do not need to be on all night.

If you have a wall surrounding one or more sides of your garden, lights aimed up to illuminate the wall at night, will allow you to view silhouettes of trees in front of the wall at night, without having individual flood lights on each tree.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
At our local botanic garden, the bonsai are on stands, that have a frosted glass panel behind each tree. This provides neutral background, against which one can see the branch structure during the day. At night there are lights in the base the glass is mounted in. The light causes the panels to glow, white. This creates stark silhouettes, allowing you to appreciate the bonsai at night. There are also lights on the front edge of the stands, that shine up at the tree. The overall effect is quite beautiful.

As to color of the light. White light looks best to the human eye. I would not worry about "day length" sensitive trees. The lights will likely be low wattage, and majority of trees are not overly sensitive to light issues, or urban landscape trees would be all screwed up by the streetlights. The fact that urban street trees, and city park trees seem fairly healthy, means that they are not overly sensitive to light at night.

You can also control light exposure by simply turning lights off when you are not sitting in the garden. The lights do not need to be on all night.

If you have a wall surrounding one or more sides of your garden, lights aimed up to illuminate the wall at night, will allow you to view silhouettes of trees in front of the wall at night, without having individual flood lights on each tree.

Can imagine that must add a lot to the beauty of the trees. Might try something along those lines but that would make me lose the nice view behind the trees.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The fact that urban street trees, and city park trees seem fairly healthy, means that they are not overly sensitive to light at night.
Our township switched to high powered LED's and the effects are visibly present on trees growing near them. Those older HPS/MH bulbs didn't do much, but the wavelength of those high powered LED's seems to have an effect.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
In my case lights will only be on for 2-3 days a week till maybe 2 am so doubt that would cause any effect.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I use the solar spot light and they would be on until 2-3am every day. I put them on the ground and point up to the trees. I like it.

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Frosted acrylic panels work really well and are super cheap projects to do well

You can also do base light panels in your bonsai stands. harder to do and a more expensive set up/ power usage.

Top Bottom