Bonsai magazine index project (volunteers & input needed)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Inspired by this thread, I plan on coordinating a project to build a master index for all the major bonsai magazine publications. This will be in Excel workbook with a tab (worksheet) for each magazine.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?13702-Bonsai-today-index-of-articles

To make this work, we need volunteers who are willing and have subscriptions to these magazines. We can have a list of the magazines people are interested on being included and the volunteers who like to tackle a range of dates he would cover for each magazine.

Again, volunteers can sign-up for 1 issue only (or more).

Initial list of magazines (in no particular order);
1. Bonsai Today - both index covered this already and I will take on the rest.
2. International Bonsai
3. Bonsai Focus
4. Bonsai Clubs International
5. Bonsai Europe
6. ???
7. ???

Though I have an idea, recommendations on what type of data we should include is needed. Feel free to recommend any to be included (or removed). For now here are the included fields in the original indexes.
- Magazine name
- Issue number
- Release date
- Article page
- Article title
- Article type (multiple applicable keywords)* i.e. (bonsai, pots, suiseki, soil mixes/components, fertilizer, tools, etc.)
- Species (multiple applicable keywords)* i.e. (maple, evergreen, pine, juniper, holly, broad leaf, tropical, deciduous, etc.)
- Technique (multiple applicable keywords)* i.e. (grafting, wiring, bending, carving, pinching, pruning, styling, repotting, fertilizing, watering, collecting, sharpening, etc.)

* For the search to be effective & efficient, we need to standardize the;
- keywords
- format
- content
- etc.

We want the format solid before we start...so we can do it right once.

I can consolidate, edit, and disseminate as needed. OR maybe it can be posted by B-Nut here for download by anyone interested.

Comments and input much appreciated.

Thank you.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Quick comments - off to a good start.

(1) Magazine Number and issue date are the same/redundant(?) Do I really care that Bonsai Today Issue #5 is from Jan/Feb 1990?

(2) Don't forget article author(s)

(3) I think you build your keyword list over time. Just dive into a few issues and see what keywords you come up with. The key thing is to make sure that the keywords are not redundant - for example "photos" and "galleries". After you develop the index for 100 issues, you can go back and prune your keyword list - see which keywords are only used once or twice and try to fit them into a different keyword to keep the list focused and refined.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Whenever I look for a magazine, or journal, I always look for that year first then the issue number. They are usually catologed by year as well. It is also possible that some magazines number their issues in terms of the year, ie 2013: 1,2,3; 2014: 1, 2, 3 etc.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick comments - off to a good start.

(1) Magazine Number and issue date are the same/redundant(?) Do I really care that Bonsai Today Issue #5 is from Jan/Feb 1990?

(2) Don't forget article author(s)

(3) I think you build your keyword list over time. Just dive into a few issues and see what keywords you come up with. The key thing is to make sure that the keywords are not redundant - for example "photos" and "galleries". After you develop the index for 100 issues, you can go back and prune your keyword list - see which keywords are only used once or twice and try to fit them into a different keyword to keep the list focused and refined.

Thanks.

1. True.
2. Like #1, people may not care who the author is but I can see that matter for some.
3. True if I am doing all the work. Defining the keywords now will help have a standard set. I do not intend to review and edit every volunteers input or submission.

Same with the format, I want it standard so I can just copy paste and be done with it. Not reformatting everything every time someone send me one. I hope that helps explain the method to this madness.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Whenever I look for a magazine, or journal, I always look for that year first then the issue number. They are usually catologed by year as well. It is also possible that some magazines number their issues in terms of the year, ie 2013: 1,2,3; 2014: 1, 2, 3 etc.

In that case, we can use 2012-6, 2013-1, etc. for issue number :)

One less column to maintain is good :D LOL

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In that case, we can use 2012-6, 2013-1, etc. for issue number :)

One less column to maintain is good :D LOL

Ive done ALOT of data entry for both school and my job and actually, your proposed format (Year-Issue No) will actually be more awkward and perhaps more time consuming to enter than having year and issue in two seperate columns and just tabbing over. Also if someone decides to port it into a true database like Access, the data base will be much happier.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive done ALOT of data entry for both school and my job and actually, your proposed format (Year-Issue No) will actually be more awkward and perhaps more time consuming to enter than having year and issue in two seperate columns and just tabbing over. Also if someone decides to port it into a true database like Access, the data base will be much happier.

I agree and see what you are saying. I guess I never even considered it migrating to a data base. I am also looking at it from the user's perspective. Too many columns can cause confusion.

Thanks for the input!

For now, the idea seem dead anyway since no one expressed interest in helping out. I cannot do this by myself (even if I want to) because I do not have the other magazines. Which is fine...less work for me. ;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree and see what you are saying. I guess I never even considered it migrating to a data base. I am also looking at it from the user's perspective. Too many columns can cause confusion.

Thanks for the input!

For now, the idea seem dead anyway since no one expressed interest in helping out. I cannot do this by myself (even if I want to) because I do not have the other magazines. Which is fine...less work for me. ;)

If your columns are clearly and properly labeled, it shouldnt be confusing.

Too bad there isnt any interest, like I said in the other thread, my bonsai magazine collection consists of 3 isses of International Bonsai from 2013 so there isnt much I can do to help.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I cannot do this by myself (even if I want to) because I do not have the other magazines.

You didn't...I made the BT index 6-108. Add the first 5 and it's done.

Bill adds an index in International Bonsai at least once every year, so that's easier than thumbing through hundreds of magazines like I did with BT. Data entry, yes...just a matter of getting hands on some indices. I have probably 1/3 of all IB magazines, so if you're serious, let me know and I may be able to scan the index pages for you (or someone) to capture in Excel.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would check into copyright issues before you waste any time starting such a project. Most publishers have strict rights defined as do photographers, authors etc. It would be a shame to delve into something so intense and then be slapped with a suit for copyright theft.

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You didn't...I made the BT index 6-108. Add the first 5 and it's done.

Bill adds an index in International Bonsai at least once every year, so that's easier than thumbing through hundreds of magazines like I did with BT. Data entry, yes...just a matter of getting hands on some indices. I have probably 1/3 of all IB magazines, so if you're serious, let me know and I may be able to scan the index pages for you (or someone) to capture in Excel.

If I wasn't clear enough. I apologize. I mentioned several times that the BT index was already done, just need to reconcile the differences between the 2 index I got, and add 5 issues. But I see you've done that too. Thank you.

What I am referring to are the other magazines which I don't have.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would check into copyright issues before you waste any time starting such a project. Most publishers have strict rights defined as do photographers, authors etc. It would be a shame to delve into something so intense and then be slapped with a suit for copyright theft.

ed

Ed,

I am not going to reproduce anything (just compile an index) so no copyright infringement. But I am not a lawyer so my interpretation could be wrong.

Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Top Bottom