Bonsai Maples- Andrea Meriggioli

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yup.. 14 is specifically about improving the root system.
I was still thinking of that picture where he used washer to constrict the trunk at the base, helping the roots to develope better radial patterns.
Afterall, whether you're talking layering, root grafting, or chimichanga, you're always ending up with the base, and you can tell Andrea covers it quite extensively.

folks talk about doing this with maples, but what about other species like crape myrtle?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
folks talk about doing this with maples, but what about other species like crape myrtle?
I would suspect it works on all species that thicken up reasonably fast and that take well to layering. THinking while writing.. I could imagine this is a method that also works for species that layer poorly, as the tree has more time to respond to the reduced sapflow to the roots before the root gives up (Reduction over time).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would suspect it works on all species that thicken up reasonably fast and that take well to layering. THinking while writing.. I could imagine this is a method that also works for species that layer poorly, as the tree has more time to respond to the reduced sapflow to the roots before the root gives up (Reduction over time).

that was sorta what i was thinking

i don’t know if it makes sense to do, but it’s a thought i had last night.

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I emailed Andrea through their website and received a copy from Italy to the US in 2 days! Looks like an excellent book, can't wait to dig in

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s an awesome book. It’s great to have a comprehensive book out there on maple techniques. This was my winter read. Now I have to go back an reread it!

best
DSD sends

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh very cool. Yes I just messaged him. Yo order a copy. My winter read. Was the new ( shohin through the seasons ) book by Morton albeck. It was good and gives a lot of knowledge on shohin specifically through each season

Nuffel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone,

I found the following quote in an older post:
"Peter Adams is the only one with a book on bonsai with maples worth buying. "
However, the Meriggioli book didn't exist at that time if I'm correct.

Are there people here who own both books?
What's the best maple book between the 2?

Thank you

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have each book. You are correct, that’s old news.

Both books have their merits, but Andrea Meriggioli’s book beats the Adams book hands down. It is the most comprehensive Maple book I’ve seen to date. I highly recommend it!

Cheers
DSD sends

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have each book. You are correct, that’s old news.

Both books have their merits, but Andrea Meriggioli’s book beats the Adams book hands down. It is the most comprehensive Maple book I’ve seen to date. I highly recommend it!

Cheers
DSD sends
Exactly, One is a good reference from some time ago, the other is very detailed and takes maple care to another level. They are very different price points, both of very good value. I have both in my collection.

Nuffel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I guess I better buy the Meriggioli book ;)
Thank you for the quick answer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello everyone,

I found the following quote in an older post:
"Peter Adams is the only one with a book on bonsai with maples worth buying. "
However, the Meriggioli book didn't exist at that time if I'm correct.

Are there people here who own both books?
What's the best maple book between the 2?

Thank you
I have both,
My vote goes to Meriggioli, the only reason is the book has more info. Peter book is good too and have good visuals and pictures.

Top Bottom