Bonsai Meme War

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Haha. I feel I gain an attachment and each is unique and it’s hard for me to cull them down. I think that I’ll miss out. Let winter and summer choose for me
You GOTTA do it though..

I grew hundreds (300-400) of Native/Naturalized Acer seedlings last year (People are probably sick of me saying that! 😂)...

Let me count quick..

I kept 25 for Bonsai purposes (A few for me, but also for "Attractive, bonsai-in-mind" Stock... for YOU guys! 🤣)

I sold 15 for yard trees, kept 5 for THIS year's "Landscape Stock"..

The rest are ashes... in my glazes or used to mud my kiln. ;)

If you start with a bunch.. you have higher likelihood of spotting those small leaved (this is often "unstable" THIS early ((1-2 years-old))), short-internoded (THIS is SEEMINGLY more cemented at this stage) Seedlings.

I'd imagine it's similar with ALL acers (or plants, for that matter)...

There are long and short, fat and skinny..ect ect ect.

Each seed gives way to the reading of unique RNA .. every... time..

GOD I LOVE PLANTS!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You GOTTA do it though..

I grew hundreds (300-400) of Native/Naturalized Acer seedlings last year (People are probably sick of me saying that! 😂)...

Let me count quick..

I kept 25 for Bonsai purposes (A few for me, but also for "Attractive, bonsai-in-mind" Stock... for YOU guys! 🤣)

I sold 15 for yard trees, kept 5 for THIS year's "Landscape Stock"..

The rest are ashes... in my glazes or used to mud my kiln. ;)

If you start with a bunch.. you have higher likelihood of spotting those small leaved (this is often "unstable" THIS early ((1-2 years-old))), short-internoded (THIS is SEEMINGLY more cemented at this stage) Seedlings.

I'd imagine it's similar with ALL acers (or plants, for that matter)...

There are long and short, fat and skinny..ect ect ect.

Each seed gives way to the reading of unique RNA .. every... time..

GOD I LOVE PLANTS!
You’re crazy! Haha

I just don’t have the space for hundreds of seedlings. I got my 50ct tray

What time during the season do you decide to cull? End of the growing season?

The mesquite seedlings I got going are just getting to their 2nd growing season only one is starting to branch. I have a few “runts,” but have an idea for them

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You’re crazy! Haha

I just don’t have the space for hundreds of seedlings. I got my 50ct tray

What time during the season do you decide to cull? End of the growing season?

The mesquite seedlings I got going are just getting to their 2nd growing season only one is starting to branch. I have a few “runts,” but have an idea for them
I do one round of culling during summer lull.. next one when leaves START to drop. .. for that one, you need to be careful... roots don't like too much action 'round that time of year..

But your climate is fairly... opposite mine! 😂😂😂

Feel it out.. communicate with your plants... learn to read what they are trying to communicate/portray.

In your climate, it's FRIGGIN hot when I do my first round.... So maybe skip that one. Your climate also would allow the "As the leaves START to drop"-timed round to be much less careful and protected than I, personally, HAVE to make sure it is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I do one round of culling during summer lull.. next one when leaves START to drop. .. for that one, you need to be careful... roots don't like too much action 'round that time of year..

But your climate is fairly... opposite mine! 😂😂😂

Feel it out.. communicate with your plants... learn to read what they are trying to communicate/portray.

In your climate, it's FRIGGIN hot when I do my first round.... So maybe skip that one. Your climate also would allow the "As the leaves START to drop"-timed round to be much less careful and protected than I, personally, HAVE to make sure it is.
I may have missed something. Why do roots matter when culling?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I may have missed something. Why do roots matter when culling?
Any root disruption close to freezes/frosts is problematic, and would require extra protection or consideration. I mean be careful because you are using trays.. so pulling ONE'S roots... will inevitably disturb roots AROUND that plant.

But then again... My first frost'll be in October!!

Different Worlds.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Any root disruption close to freezes/frosts is problematic, and would require extra protection or consideration. I mean be careful because you are using trays.. so pulling ONE'S roots... will inevitably disturb roots AROUND that plant.

But then again... My first frost'll be in October!!

Different Worlds.
Ohh, got it. I use individual seedling trays, soo

Our first freeze is beginning of Nov, lol

Back to the memes!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He is having his first annual Open House of Pedagogy Bonsai. At my new home, the compound is looking great! New photos to follow soon.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 85

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
AND YET we all get half our stuff from them.
Everybody starting out does For sure, myself included. But if you are still doing it after a few years, you’re doing it wrong.

Top Bottom