Bonsai mini jade

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I have seen a couple of jade trees on here.
Recently introduced to succulents by my gm at work. She wanted some in our lobby area and asked me to head up a couple displays since she knows I can grow plants. I have never grown succulents before. Except ponytail palm as a houseplant.
So I am enjoying viewing these little dwarf jade plants now and am keeping several types of succulents at my place.
Also I have said and heard the word succulent over 1000 times in the last month.
So where do I go to find a small little dwarf jade? I have seen a website called littlejadebonsai and enjoy those very much. They just don't have one I want yet.
Any other suggestions?
Because they grow so slowly
I would like to get something already styled to a degree.
It's just for my own enjoyment.
If you have seen any of my trees then I bet it's easy to guess my favorite one here.
Also something under 8-10 inches is my favorite size.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's just your standard Baby Jade, P. afra.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are all interesting.

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah I know the name of them.
I just haven't learn how to spell it yet.
Portulacaria

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This one sold at New England bonsai...but thought it creative enough to share. They had this written with it.

Product Description
Mini Jade saikei. Two tree. Saikei is a combination of trees, rocks , mosses, small plants and other interesting landscape features. This one is quite simple ( we forgo the moss and other plants since the trees are succulents). But you could add small drought tolerant trees like hens and cicks et al.

A few stones, well placed and a ‘dry’ river gives a zen garden feel to this indoor bonsai. 10″ pot. Trees have 1/2″ trunks. Overall height is 10″
image.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg image.jpg I got this in the same pot. I don't know what it is called.
It does still look like a type of jade though. They were neglected it seems.
I think I like the smaller one even better and divided it into 3 pots.
I do have an Erin accent pot coming that will fit it nicely.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg Also set two of these outside for the neighbors because I didn't like them after I got them home.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg This is my new (to me) toy.
This is not my actual car but it looks the same

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Think it will live?

Yes, just don't treat it good. Grow your Succulents similar to Cacti, crap substrate and dry between watering, never more then once a week, less if humid. Ours all go outdoors under an overhang in the Summer with North exposure to the Sun. No special treatment EXCEPT - water the substrate only. Do not water the branches or leafs because if water gets trapped between trunk and leaf it almost always causes problems, leaf drop, and for tender varieties death.

My Wife has a VW too! She got the overkill model with the 400 watt custom Fender audio and all of the latest electronics -

GEDC1098.JPG

Grimmy

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, just don't treat it good. Grow your Succulents similar to Cacti, crap substrate and dry between watering, never more then once a week, less if humid. Ours all go outdoors under an overhang in the Summer with North exposure to the Sun. No special treatment EXCEPT - water the substrate only. Do not water the branches or leafs because if water gets trapped between trunk and leaf it almost always causes problems, leaf drop, and for tender varieties death.

My Wife has a VW too! She got the overkill model with the 400 watt custom Fender audio and all of the latest electronics -

View attachment 96566

Grimmy
Good for her.
I have always wanted one.
I like the older style better than the new one but I will probably end up with a newer one eventually.
I might put some succulents outside this summer at my moms. That way I can replace the ones in the lobby at work that I kill in the learning process.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I might put some succulents outside this summer at my moms. That way I can replace the ones in the lobby at work that I kill in the learning process.

Just remember not to much water, and never on the foliage - they will live ;) Also once they are happy most we have grown have flowered(not all do) after a few years.

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The large ones I have in my landscape can go 8 months without ANY water - not a drop. They seem to prefer dappled sun... or maybe only the ones in dappled sun survive :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I water these by the feel of the leaves. If they're plump and hard, no water. When they just begin to soften is when I water.
CW

I was thinking there has got to be a good tell from the leaves.

Thanks for sharing that!

Sorce

Top Bottom