Bonsai newbie looking for knowledgeable friends!

thinwaifer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My name is Kait, I live outside of Washington D.C. and this year for Christmas I told my boyfriend I wanted a bonsai tree. Not having researched, not having thought about it more than "hey, that would be a cool thing to have." I grew up gardening with my mom since I was old enough to sit up in the dirt while she worked in the garden, and we had a glorious garden room with plants of all kinds where I used to go and read in the afternoons after I got home from school. Since I moved away from home (in Texas) I've been living in apartments and thought the family green thumb and desire to decorate my home with growing things had skipped me.

Apparently I thought wrong. My thoughtful boyfriend bought me a beautiful bonsai tree, and a hands-on beginner 101 class to take at the nursery where the tree was grown. I had my class on Saturday, and I am happy to say I believe I am firmly hooked. I left the nursery that afternoon with new knowledge about my first tree (believed to be a Korean hornbeam, I got conflicting accounts) as well as a Schefflera bonsai-to-be that I potted and shaped myself and a bougainvillea starter bonsai that I bought from the nursery. I've also acquired several other plants in the last few months, a couple cacti, an African Violet, a Money Tree and a baby aloe vera. It's fair to say I am hooked on brightening my spaces with growing things now.

Any advice for a first time owner of Schefflera, bougainvillea, and hornbeam trees? I've moved the hornbeam outdoors to my sheltered balcony where I am checking on it daily, but as it is still dormant the teacher of the class told me I don't need to worry about it too much until the weather begins to warm. The other two I am keeping with a plant light, daily water checks and spritzing from a spray bottle a couple times a day. I'm wondering should I rotate all the plants, since the light they're getting is stationary? I'm planning on taking the Schefflera to my office, I've purchased a smart plant-light that mimics the day-night cycle of the changing seasons and has a built-in moisture sensor and humidity tray. I'll bring it home over extended weekends or when I'm gone on vacation (I have a friend who checks on my cat while I'm away and I'm sure she won't mind checking the trees as well). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey kait you have the will and love of growing things so you have a good start. The Scheffelera come in two varieties The one called Scheffelera Arboricola have smaller leaves but either like lots of light and moisture and like Ficus will happily throw aerial roots when kept in the right environment and have fairly crowded roots in their pot. The Bougie actually Flowers better when it has crowded roots but likes to be a little drier, not dried out but not as wet as your Scheffelera. I have never had a Hornbeam but I have seen some pretty ones here and I believe its JudyB who has a beauty in a thread here. The two I mentioned can be kept inside when the weather is bad under good lighting but they will really thrive outside in full sun. Plus the leaves get smaller as well when they have the correct light. Have fun you made some good plant choices now keep em green !

ed

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome Kait. I just sent you a PM regarding clubs around DC. 2015 is going to be very exciting here. A big convention is coming to Ellicott City in June. You should try to go. Look up American Bonsai Society and find upcoming events.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Good info on this forum and others.

See the articles at evergreengardenworks.com

Good info at bonsai4me.com

Join a club, avoid problems and learn how to do it right.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome Kait! Sounds like you've got a few good plants to learn on, watering is the first and most important thing to learn to do properly. Not sure how you are checking for watering, but a lot of us use wooden skewers stuck down in the soil. If you pull it out and it's still moist, then wait till it gets a bit dry (depending on the type of plant) to water again. Believe it or not, most new bonsaiists kill things with too much attention (and water ;)) than anything else. The second rule that is good to start with, is one major insult to a plant in a year. At least till you learn which ones are tough enough to do more with.

Have fun, and try to find a good local club. Lucky you have Lordy in your area to help point you in the right direction.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome Kait

Hi Kait
I also share your love of growing plants. African Violets, Bonsai, Cactus,conifers, Succulents, orchids, carnivorous plants, etc. Soothes the spirit. Your in the right place for trees in pots. Lots of useful info well organized. Don't know how knowledgeable i am but I've been around the block once with most plants.
Yes as Judy has mentioned, watering is the hardest to get right. Seems like a simple task but there is more involved. Soil, for one is a big part of watering. The Right soil helps you water correctly. The chopstick is probably easier than the instruction I learned. Which was:

'Let the soil completely dry and water the day before.' Still trying to get that one right. john

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Saw this Schefflera

Saw this Schefflera posted on Lindsay Farr's FB group. I thought you might like it for a little inspiration!

1380232_10204905371207712_6427023551804336817_n.jpg

thinwaifer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well since I posted this my bougainvillea has lost all of her flowers (I've decided her name is My Lady), the hornbeam seems to be loving being outside, and I've moved the scheffalera to my desk at work with a dedicated smart-light purchased from Amazon that supposedly mimics the lighting patterns of the seasons. Of course it starts the cycle at "dawn" for winter, and I don't actually get to my desk till closer to 10:00 am every day, but what can you do.

I'm looking forward to taking a look around the forum and getting to know knowledgeable people, and have already been looking a bit around at Bonsai clubs in the area - I'll definitely check some out! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

thinwaifer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Worried about my bougainvillea

:( The bougainvillea is continuing to drop leaves. There seems to be one branch of relatively new growth, but most everything else is bare at this point. I am going to take it to the nursery this weekend (I should have done it last weekend, or when I went there on Monday, but I didn't) and I hope it's not too late. Has anyone else had a bougainvillea drop all flowers and most of its leaves within a few weeks of acquisition?

I'm concerned that I either watered too much or that I used a spray bottle with impure or old water in it. Any advice greatly appreciated by this new plant parent!

Sarsonator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there,

I have a fairly new bougie also, and I was advised when I bought it that they like to be kept fairly dry, so I have used a piece of bamboo skewer to check for water, and I only water when the stick is dry. I'm wondering if the bougie may have dropped leaves due to overwatering.

I've also read about people whose bougie's dropped leaves when going from outdoors in the summer, to indoors for the winter. So it may also be the change of environment if you got it recently.

The good news is that they will often bounce back if not overwatered.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The are many reasons the bouginvilla would drop leaves- too much or not enough water, too cold or even just the change in growing conditions. As long as the branches are still green and piable I wouldn't worry too much. The best thing is to leave it alone , under the light and only water when dry. Most likely they'll grow back in a few weeks. Just be careful not to overwater . More often than not new to bonsai people kill plants with too much attention and care. They need some but not too much. The biggest thing is watering especially with plants indoors. The advice to try and find a local club will really help shorten the learning curve and mortality rate. Good luck and enjoy.

Top Bottom