Bonsai newbie - winter care for Juniper

kmonokwe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Hi! I just received my first bonsai for Christmas. I've been reading just enough to know how little I know... you know? :)

I live in NE Kansas. I understand keeping a Juniper inside all the time is a bad idea, but I'm concerned about whether the little guy can handle the freezing temps. On the other hand, I know he needs that dormant period. What to do?

I could keep him inside, on a window sill. Probably the coldest place in the house, but still pretty warm. I don't think warm enough to go dormant. What happens if a Juniper tree doesn't go dormant??
I could keep him outside. I've got a small porch area that would provide relative shelter from adverse weather, but not from freezing temps. No direct sunlight in this location, although I could move him around out there to get sunlight when the weather is nice. I have no idea what the root situation is or when he was last repotted. This tree was purchased from a local garden store.
I could keep him in the garage - I think that might be a perfect temperature situation for a dormant period, and good for shelter from wind and the like, but he'd get virtually zero sunlight. Does a Juniper need sunlight while in dormancy??

I know this tree has been kept inside for the last few weeks. He's looking good so far (as far as I can tell), but since this isn't the growing season, I'm nervous about keeping him alive while I wait for him to show me what he needs. Help! What would you do?

I'd also love to know if anybody has a favorite book for novice/intermediate bonsai care, and specifically for Juniper or evergreen types?

Attachments

• IMG_8717.jpg
    IMG_8717.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 62

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Garage is probably best. I'd rather provide cool consistent temperatures and better humidity with less light, than inside with good light, but a hot, dry indoor climate. Choose a spot and don't move it around.

Don't repot it. Most trees can go far longer between repotting than we tend to do. Also, be aware that most newbies kill trees through overly-aggressive pruning or repotting. I suspect it can easily make it until spring 2016 without needing a repot. I have junipers in my collection that haven't been repotted in 5+ years.

Don't let it dry out. You can use a chopstick inserted and left in the soil to the bottom of the pot to check the soil moisture. Each day, pull the chopstick out and check the moisture like a dipstick. When it is starting to feel dry, water again. It will probably need water every 4-5 days in the garage if it's not frozen.

Read online about care of Procumbens juniper, you can find plenty of good care advice before throwing down for a book.

kmonokwe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thank you!!

I was also leaning towards the garage, but unsure about whether zero light would be bad news. I am glad you said not to repot - I'm itching for information, but I don't want to shock it with too much attention. I'll go easy to start :)

kmonokwe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thank you! Yes, no glue apparent, and I think its beautiful. I received the tree from my brother and sister in law. They did good!! :)

A few days ago we had a couple of warm days in the 50s and I took the opportunity to move it outside. After posting here I moved it into the garage, and hopefully won't have to move it again for awhile.

Question about pruning:
To my inexperienced eyes, it looks a little overgrown. There is some foliage coming off the underside of the main branch and not much shape to the needles. I don't plan to do much (if any) pruning over the winter, but when the time comes, where would you start? Is there anything I should do now, or just let it be for the winter?

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Normally you should let it like that for the winter and prune it in spring only.

Btw: my junipers are outside during the winter and handle it perfectly well (and the T here should be lower than in NE Kansas even if this year winter looks like falls)

kmonokwe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Good to know! Hopefully in the future, I'll find a year-round spot for it outside.

Top Bottom