Bonsai North West show 2021

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No I don't mean Oregon or washington!
Bonsai North West is a club in Melbourne, Australia. For a while now they have been holding the annual club show in a different season each time. This year it was an Autumn show to give the fruiting and deciduous trees a chance to shine.

The venue has very subdued lighting and I only had hand held camera so some of the photos are a bit blurry. My apologies.
IMGP2829.JPG
IMGP2830.JPG
IMGP2831.JPG
IMGP2832.JPG
IMGP2834.JPG
IMGP2836.JPG
IMGP2837.JPG

More to come......

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One member's display of shimpaku junipers.
IMGP2839.JPG

and a closer look at a few of those junipers.
IMGP2840.JPG
IMGP2841.JPG
IMGP2842.JPG

A couple of trident maples. The owner told me this root over rock was imported from Japan around 30 years ago. Great root display!
IMGP2850.JPG

This one is much smaller - only around 10 inches
IMGP2851.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
IMGP2847.JPG
IMGP2853.JPG

White pines are not common here but this show had a couple on display, all grafted.
IMGP2855.JPG

Corky bark pine, also grafted. The owner has used a couple of rocks to disguise the plain bark of the root stock.
IMGP2857.JPG

Shohin display with some quite advanced trees.
IMGP2849.JPG

Closer look at the black pine in that shohin display.
IMGP2848.JPG

Another stand of shohin trees.
IMGP2860.JPG

There were a couple of Aussie natives on the show benches but this group of Leptospermum laevigatum stood out. This group really evokes the coastal bush where these trees grow.
Around 50cm tall and 1m wide.
IMGP2854.JPG

PNW Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing trees!! WOW. You got my super excited because I thought this was Washington State =P

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Some awesome trees.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Did you enter any trees in the show?
Not this year.
The show is actually a club show for members to display their work and I'm not actually a member of that particular club. They will usually find space if I take a tree or 2 but as their members have an abundance of great trees and limited display space I don't feel right expecting to take space. After the year we've had I did not have any bonsai prepared to show standard anyway.

I was asked to provide trees for the trading table which the club runs for a small cut of sales.
It is actually a 600KM round trip for us to Melbourne and back so usually only go down a couple of times each year.

Reactions: n8
Top Bottom