Bonsai NOT character assasinations

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Just some thoughts. I've been into bonsai for 4 years and I'm pretty intent on learning as much as possible. I read and research quite a bit and love to experiment with new trees and techniques. Unfortunately, some people I've come in contact with through conversation and even in our bonsai club, like the "idea" of bonsai. It's the "cool" thing to do. It's not a passion or an expression of art for them............and that's fine. There are people in our club that have been into bonsai for several years and still are not sure when they should repot or prune or wire. A stick in a pot IS bonsai to them.

My opinion only: I dislike when someone says "That's not a "real" bonsai. It may be an amateurish attempt, or an ugly tree, or have hideous wiring, but, at least give it the courtesy of calling it a bonsai. Along with a little constructive advice, that would go a long way in welcoming newbies into the fold.
I agree with that. I think if you wish to call a gallon juniper a bonsai I think that is a good thing. My hats off to you. There is a beginner section at this forum. That's where they should go. If there are some intermediate guys here that feel they can contribute to your needs I am all for that. If you think I am going to hang out in the beginner forum and help every person here that has a gallon juniper stuffed into a bonsai pot already, then no I don't have time for that. Actually I am not really on the forum that much at all. If you wish to seek the advice of someone more seasoned and you think that by looking at their trees this might be someone you might wish to get a real assessment of your tree, then by all means send out that PM. Only if you feel you can take the criticism, I mean why subject your self to false praise? Your here to learn and if its shit, wouldn't you want to be told that or just keep working on the shit? If you wish to keep working on the shit, please, don't send me the PM.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is one person here who can tell me to "take my shit and leave this thread", and it ain't you. If that person feels I'm stepping over the line, he can contact me and I won't say another word about it.

Nah you good

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bananaman, there's a world of difference between "Your tree is shit and you shouldn't even bother with such shit." .....and ...."Your tree is not a really good candidate for a classic bonsai. It's got X or Y fault." Even if the tree IS shit, there are better ways to respond than that. I've seen some pretty homely kids in my day, but I would NEVER, EVER let a proud parent know what I really thought.

Not every tree has to be a world class, show-winning bonsai. Not every bonsai enthusiast has to be 24/7/365 hard core bonsai master. Some people just want to coast along in a cool hobby.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Charles,

My advice:

1/ name your plant with its botanical name (when you know it).
Quite a few people here are not from the US, knowing what plant/tree you're talking about helps ("cedar"?.... Er...)

2/ don't take part in the friendly conversations in the tea-house when it's about politics or religion. There's so much to learn from here than losing time in trying to convince people that will never change their mind :D (could have posted that to myself :rolleyes:)

3/ this place is a place where people from different origins will always be welcome - I know. Most, verrry most people here will be happy to help you.

Welcome to the forum, I hope the winter in NZ is not too harsh. :cool:

Here, it's 33°, unsually hot and dry. Its been like that for about three weeks, but fortunately, no deadly forest fires so far...

Hi AlainK,
Thank you for your advice regarding plant names and the “Tea House” discussions.
Also I do enjoy reading all your threads about the different Jap Maples and how you have created your bonsai.
As far as Winter here, it has been a bit mild for about 3 winters now with no snow, and no heavy? snow(25-50 cm) for 5-6 years. I guess some people call all this “global warming”. But that is another discussion for another thread. We get enough frosts to give most deciduous trees some winter dormancy, but lately I been wondering if they get enough.
Great autumn colours but for how long?

Pleased you haven’t seen any fires this summer, which is sadly not the case in the USA (west side).
Anyway spring is around the corner, so repotting is well under way, and I am looking forward to more trunk growing this next season ?
Charles

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Let me explain it with a tree.

I purchased this KiyoHime maple in 2016. My wife started to take a turn in her cancer and I did not work this tree. It sat for two years. I began this year.

The tree was large, not very big in the trunk but a huge canopy. about three feet in diameter. This is what it looked like when I bought it.
View attachment 203682View attachment 203683

I brought it home and later in Feb I cut it back, This is what the canopy looked like. Take notice of the internodes. They are well over four inches between buds.
View attachment 203684

This is a shohin size tree. I can't have branches growing like that so I cut it down to this.
View attachment 203685

That is the way the tree was for the last two years while my wife died. This year in spring 2018 I decided that I would cut off all the stubs that I left because they had bad beginnings. They would never sprout close to the trunk. I need buds close to the trunk and a canopy about 9 inches or less. does that make sense? So I cut it back to this in Feb 2018.

View attachment 203686
?? I like it. Reminds me of my Kyohime so much.

Top Bottom