Bonsai nursery curious practice

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thought I'd open up discussion on a practice I've observed at a local bonsai nursery. I've noticed them digging around the perimeter of the pot, pruning roots and eventually returning the soil. Their soil is largely inorganic and the soil around the interior and the rootball doesn't appear to be in a state of collapse or soggy, just in a happy state. Is this just a lazy man's repot to avoid a rootbound condition, or is there more than meets the eye to the practice. I've also observed him start and the stop if he isn't digging up too much rootwise and replace the soil, minus the trimmed root. Its always around potential repot time sooo...

This is everything from starter trees and pre-bonsai to aged specimen costing thousands. His trees are virtually always in great shape so I'm curious if anyone could elaborate that this a fairly sensible practice or notso much. I can hypothetically see the merits to it , but haven't found much regarding this as a horticultural 'practice' so I'm apprehensive. Maybe I've just read too many books where some guys using a pneumatic jack and rebar while barerooting a 500 y/o pine, in early summer (sarc.) Sometimes less is more. Your thoughts?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sounds like a quick and dirty repot..but a repot never the less. It helps eliminate long circling roots and encourage new fine root growth.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I do this every Spring to any tree in a bonsai pot that I am not repotting. Keeps the tree from getting rootbound - or so I believe. It's like a mini-repot. Seems to keep the trees strong while not stressing them much at all.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems like that would help it from become root bound. At the same time it brings up a question. Without cutting the roots extending down from the base, but cutting the roots extending laterally, wouldn't that be a bit backwards in terms of what you want to do to encourage good nebari? The roots going down would still fill the pot while the laterally growing roots would backbud (so to speak) and not add to the girth of the surface roots. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do this every Spring to any tree in a bonsai pot that I am not repotting. Keeps the tree from getting rootbound - or so I believe. It's like a mini-repot. Seems to keep the trees strong while not stressing them much at all.

Thanks for sharing the experience. It makes complete sense. I was still a little apprehensive though. A lot of things have made 'sense' over the years to me that wound up being notso sensible after all.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We do similar with all of our larger Maples and Fruit trees to get rid of all the fine roots. It allows us to inspect the root system and trim away what is not needed and still keep them in pots rather then baskets. In a "growing" situation I would think it helps them maintain larger plants in the same space as well as giving them a chance to check root systems. I am not a grower but it makes sense to me stated that way :rolleyes:

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Removing the soil from the perimeter of the pot reduces stress from expanding soil during the winter. Then a complete repot is necessary.

Check out my blog:
www.internationalbonsai.com

Go to the Archives, then scroll down to September, go to September 22nd "Preparing For Winter Protection." There are photos from Japan showing what they do in AUTUMN.

Doing this in spring to a bonsai is the lazy way and not correct. The soil in the center of the root mass must be periodically replaced. Usually "V" shaped sections are removed from around the root mass UP to the trunk, between the surface roots. This is the correct and common method of repotting.

Bill

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
quietobserver;What would you have them do?[/QUOTE said:
To each their own in my book. I'm just trying to learn if the practice will help or harm my collection; especially this year when the weather is fluctuating so wildly. It was in the 70's again today where I live, but will be in the 20's again supposedly next week. And, like a lot of things bonsai related there may or may not be a consensus of opinions regarding what works and what doesn't.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I do it from time to time. I noticed a tree with decomposed top soil. The under soil is still good so i replaced the entire top inch or more of soil. Disturbed quite a few roots but the majority of the root ball is left undisturbed. It'll get a complete repot next year or the following one.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Doing this in spring to a bonsai is the lazy way and not correct.

Just to emphasize what Bill said - I do not consider my practice "correct". It is definitely a shortcut and not optimal. However there are some years when I just can't get to all my trees - and I do this rather than leave the tree in the pot without any care whatsoever.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just to emphasize what Bill said - I do not consider my practice "correct". It is definitely a shortcut and not optimal. However there are some years when I just can't get to all my trees - and I do this rather than leave the tree in the pot without any care whatsoever.

Yep, a little is better than none. :)

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To each their own in my book. I'm just trying to learn if the practice will help or harm my collection; especially this year when the weather is fluctuating so wildly. It was in the 70's again today where I live, but will be in the 20's again supposedly next week. And, like a lot of things bonsai related there may or may not be a consensus of opinions regarding what works and what doesn't.
Since the weather IS fluctuating wildly, then it is not time to pull trees out of over-wintering storage. Remember that bonsai is about patience. There have been very strong opinions voiced here by veteran bonsai artists that soundly discourage the practice. I fall into the "not a good idea" camp. But do what you want. Maybe you can turn this into an experiment. Do it to half your trees and leave the other half alone. Just be sure to use some of the same variety of tree in both groups to increase the likelihood that the results are valid.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was just an editing error. It was a quote from Quiet Observer that was in turn quoting you. When Lordy responded, the wrong quote author was left.
?? The quote I responded to is the one in my post. Or did I misunderstand something?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
hmmmmmmmmm, I just leave mine outside and honest when the weather is "crazy" I "wonder" but it has been six years that have done well with very little concern and no loss... I do a few small things to make sure that happens but until they "push" I do not dance or concern myself. These things are NOT complex even if the weather is.

Grimmy

Top Bottom