Bonsai nursery in Portland?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We will be in Portland for a day at the end of a backpacking trip to the Wallowas at the end of the month, and I'm going to see if I can drag us to a bonsai nursery. I'm sure there are lots of them, which ones are the best to visit?
Thanks for any suggestions...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If I was going there, I'd definitely try to get to Ryan Neil's, Michael Hagedorn's, and Telperion...

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would love to see bonsai Miri is person....

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, I'm glad you're able to go packing somewhere that isn't burning up like out here. I would agree with Brian, I really want to visit Tlperion as well as Bonsai Mirai and Michael Hagedorn's.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah Dan, we always fly into somewhere that we can get to at least 2 locations in case one is on fire. (which has happened to us more than several times...) We were planning on Colorado this year, but our summer training regimen has been interrupted too much this year to do that much elevation. Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference... When we come to the Winds out there in your state, we fly into Salt Lake, so can do Colorado or Idaho from there.

We may spend most of the full day we have at Mt. Hood (who can resist?) so may only have time for one of these... If you had to choose, which one???

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
We may spend most of the full day we have at Mt. Hood (who can resist?) so may only have time for one of these... If you had to choose, which one???
I guess the answer depends on whether you just want to gawk at world class trees, or maybe make a purchase. I've never been out there (got to get out there!), but Telperion would be my choice if you're looking at great pre-stock...the two others will have amazing examples of bonsai, with a focus on native western N. American species, that are almost definitely out of my price range. Have fun!!!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Portland, isn't that where the cement is made?

ed

Reaction score
You'll love the Wallowas. Are you going in on the east side or the west side? My wife and I did a 4 day trip into Eagle Lake last year (east side). Beautiful country. Main trails can get busy but it sounds like this is not your first rodeo. Have fun.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You'll love the Wallowas. Are you going in on the east side or the west side? My wife and I did a 4 day trip into Eagle Lake last year (east side). Beautiful country. Main trails can get busy but it sounds like this is not your first rodeo. Have fun.

We've been to the Wallowas 4 times before now.... We go in from the Enterprise/Joseph side. We've always wondered about going in from the southern Halfway side, but I'm not sure I would love all the man made type lakes down on that side...Other than that, we've sorta been most everywhere by now. We usually go in for 7-8 days on these.

Going to go down around Marble Mt, and get up into the drainage behind Cusick and Sentinel, and explore a bit, then head up by Jewitt lake, and Polaris pass. You haven't been on the Boner Flat trail by chance have you? They say it's extremely hard to find...

We try to stay away from the lakes basin these days, unless we can swing going later in the season. But this years schedule makes us actually go earlier than usual.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
as others have said .... depends on your goals.... if looking for material in person ... Telperion is the way to go .... you'll want to buy everything :) ... as for Michael and Ryan i believe you need to make arrangements as each of them are private collections and may not be around ...

if you have a few extra hours and want to drive four hours north..... well I know a couple people who would be glad to show you around Elandan (closed on mondays) :p

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well... My bonsai budget this year is already spoken for, so any looking I do, is strictly for future reference. That doesn't make it an unworthy objective for me, but perhaps not one that I would expect these world class artists to be interested in. So I guess I'm sort of looking for somewhere that actually has "store hours". I know that Telperion would be a great place for me to see, as I've never purchased from them, and would love to see what they have for future reference, but I don't think that they are open except for appointment either....
Or maybe there is a public gardens that has a collection? I see gardens in Portland, but none of them specifically say they have collections.

As to Elandan, the N.Cascades will be up in the rotation either next year or the following, and that will be a destination rubber stamped onto that trip for sure.

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
If you are looking for "store hours" you will need to go to Seattle and visit Bonsai Northwest. Very nice bonsai storefront. I don't believe you will find a location in the Oregon marketplace that has "store hours" dedicated to bonsai.

Well... My bonsai budget this year is already spoken for, so any looking I do, is strictly for future reference. That doesn't make it an unworthy objective for me, but perhaps not one that I would expect these world class artists to be interested in. So I guess I'm sort of looking for somewhere that actually has "store hours". I know that Telperion would be a great place for me to see, as I've never purchased from them, and would love to see what they have for future reference, but I don't think that they are open except for appointment either....
Or maybe there is a public gardens that has a collection? I see gardens in Portland, but none of them specifically say they have collections.

As to Elandan, the N.Cascades will be up in the rotation either next year or the following, and that will be a destination rubber stamped onto that trip for sure.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
At Telperion Farms, we have visitors Fri, Sat & Sun, unless we are away at some event. Just let us know when you are coming.
Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very cool, thank you for that gracious offer!

Luckily, the 31'st (Friday) is our day there in Portland, so I'm excited to take you up on it. :D

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
JudyB,
Sent me an email at tfarms@wvi.com, and I will send you directions to the farm.
Thanks,
Chris

Top Bottom