Bonsai nut 2020 expo

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If what I am reading comes to pass this is what I think is going to happen. Everyone will have to have really good pots for their trees, great stands, a scroll behind the tree and an accompany plant to display with the tree. All of this will have to go into a tokonoma and be properly photographed. I have found that there are quite a few individuals that are as interested in the area of display as they are in the trees themselves,----and we have not even talked about moss yet. If you want to discourage the newest members of the forum this is a good way to do so.
Just as there are levels of trees, there are also the same levels of display chops. I would not expect anyone below intermediate to have anything but a tree that they want to show. Intermediate will want to show their skill with pot pairings and display. Advanced should be expected to have the whole nine yards. And BTW scrolls are not actually required, unless the contest is a Kazari competition. I don’t have a tokonama to photograph in, but I do have a backdrop that I do photos against and that works just fine as I’m sure would work for others. I don’t think this would discourage newer members, I think it would help them become interested in moving their trees and displays forward and bettering their skills.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t mind posting a few pictures, but no way no how am I going to go to the lengths I would go for something like the National show.

I might include pictures of my trees that have been to the National show! Lol!!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Love the idea... can’t really participate this year.. as all most of my trees are collections, cuttings, seedlings, and nursery stock initially shaped...

I have never purchased a tree/plant with the word “bonsai” anywhere in the definition. 🤣🤣 (couldn’t afford it anyways)

MY “entries” would resemble complete garbage.. (gimme a few years.. I’m workin’ on it. ;) )

I AM still excited to see “what happens”

🤓
With as much time as you spend in the boondocks, you should be carrying an entrenching tool, clippers and a plastic bag to collect that occasional oddball twig... You should have a collection of such and be the envy of the kingdom.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Food for thought: four rough categories...
1. In situ: in the garden or on a garden bench by itself
2. In front of a plain backdrop to show detail
3. On a mat, with backdrop & tablecloth
4. On a display stand & mat with accent(s), et al.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What’s with the mats?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to agree that with the amount of work involved with getting a tree ready for a show, which typically starts at least a year out if not longer, trying to do this in a couple of weeks for an online "expo" is a bit overzealous and may be irresponsible because it could jeoprodize a tree.

I would suggest making this more of a "backyard expo": Pictures of your trees that are well developed, but not nessarily show ready, in a bonsai pot or even a bonsai pot shaped training pot, companion plants or companion display (doesnt need to be a plant) only for the intermediate and /or advanced level, against an appropriate back ground, etc. It could be used as a critique on the display as well as lessions on photographic technique.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would as soon see a collection of members trees of which they are currently proud. It would be nice to see just how advanced our community is, currently, You cannot compare trees that have been in training for more than forty years with trees that are just starting out, but that does not diminish those beginner trees that reflect the beginnings of talent. Whether your trees are sticks in pots or stumps in buckets; if the tree has a direction it should qualify. Just remember; sometimes the stick in a pot grower as a follower of you may develop a world class bonsai because you showed hie/her hos.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
With as much time as you spend in the boondocks, you should be carrying an entrenching tool, clippers and a plastic bag to collect that occasional oddball twig... You should have a collection of such and be the envy of the kingdom.

HHAHAHAHA!!!! I DO have such tools with me on hikes! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
HHAHAHAHA!!!! I DO have such tools with me on hikes! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
We used to take our fishing poles and fly tying equipment; you never knew. When we went fishing we took our digging tools as well; you never knew ----

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow if I add another week to the deadline, will that be enough time ? I just spent all day unwiring my submission and have it prepped for a photo shoot tomorrow. I can't wait to see what Mister
Adair M is gonna show, the last time I talked to him, he was a talking about the new tree he was unveiling for the NC expo in June. I wonder if we will get a sneak peek of it or better yet a glimpse of the tree he is taking to Nationals in September.

Is it bad form to show a tree before its unveiling in a big show?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow if I add another week to the deadline, will that be enough time ? I just spent all day unwiring my submission and have it prepped for a photo shoot tomorrow. I can't wait to see what Mister
Adair M is gonna show, the last time I talked to him, he was a talking about the new tree he was unveiling for the NC expo in June. I wonder if we will get a sneak peek of it or better yet a glimpse of the tree he is taking to Nationals in September.

Is it bad form to show a tree before its unveiling in a big show?
The Nationals and the Kannapolis Winter show have been cancelled. Try to keep up! Lol!!!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would really like to see an virtual expo on here. Any takers?
I honestly thought this thread was going to go in the direction of a ZOOM presentation or similar.
Is this a viable (additional) idea. A similar show, on a live digital platform?

3 or 4 judges and all, live show. Could be done in phases on weekends, leading up to a "weeded out" show
for same tree, as the entry moves up in judging. Like week 2 lowest quality of skill is purged, and the entries for week 2 will have
received an "invite by PM" for that 2nd week by say Thursday, probably sooner if not at the end of the 1st day
This would give judges time to sort and notify as the week wears on.
Just food for thought for a less prepared for kind of a different show. (trees will get that 4 or so weeks of prepare time
as the "show" advances as a contest.
A judge can ascertain skill level without a tree being in show ready preparedness with good photos.
Say a tree would have had to have been treated in a special way to make it fruit or bloom
but it is either not in season now for that, or those methods weren't applied the previous year
with the tree now being in a different growth phase. A judge is still aware of the quality of what is before them
and the tree would be so judged. If it's dead of Winter in Brasil, and your deciduous trees are naked, they're not
any less quality whether with clothes or naked. It is the same. In Winter many conifers will look off.
A good change up would be to do this Bi-Annually so the trees could rotate to their best side,
and this gives time for those who need to hone their skill level.
@Cadillactaste I LOVE and am envious of your trees :) be proud of your work.

But I'm not a competitive person.
Unusual I would post here. I avoid the competition threads, but would love taking a live virtual stroll
through many of the forums gardens. So many trees to meet, faces to see, ideas to collect.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is what I was going to take to the Asheville Show:

C494250B-0A03-4D6E-9E59-72BE1F9D3B51.jpeg

of course, I would have redone the moss. And have a better accent. That’s just what I have sitting there.

Here are a couple other trees on my bench:

EBF538CD-D356-42B5-A987-60C5526E3E9B.jpeg

9430CE05-AF88-42EC-962D-B55AE9C7CE42.jpeg

F5F274A9-9716-4F31-B7C7-9A3D4F0ADCFF.jpeg

E4DA7F88-B032-4ACF-BB6E-C9D68B3AF005.jpeg

84B52CC0-0503-40A3-8733-96A204C1D07B.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I honestly thought this thread was going to go in the direction of a ZOOM presentation or similar.
Is this a viable (additional) idea. A similar show, on a live digital platform?

3 or 4 judges and all, live show. Could be done in phases on weekends, leading up to a "weeded out" show
for same tree, as the entry moves up in judging. Like week 2 lowest quality of skill is purged, and the entries for week 2 will have
received an "invite by PM" for that 2nd week by say Thursday, probably sooner if not at the end of the 1st day
This would give judges time to sort and notify as the week wears on.
Just food for thought for a less prepared for kind of a different show. (trees will get that 4 or so weeks of prepare time
as the "show" advances as a contest.
A judge can ascertain skill level without a tree being in show ready preparedness with good photos.
Say a tree would have had to have been treated in a special way to make it fruit or bloom
but it is either not in season now for that, or those methods weren't applied the previous year
with the tree now being in a different growth phase. A judge is still aware of the quality of what is before them
and the tree would be so judged. If it's dead of Winter in Brasil, and your deciduous trees are naked, they're not
any less quality whether with clothes or naked. It is the same. In Winter many conifers will look off.
A good change up would be to do this Bi-Annually so the trees could rotate to their best side,
and this gives time for those who need to hone their skill level.
@Cadillactaste I LOVE and am envious of your trees :) be proud of your work.

Unusual I would post here. I avoid the competition threads, but would love taking a live virtual stroll
through many of the forums gardens. So many trees to meet, faces to see, ideas to collect.
Thank you...I'm a backyard hobbiest at best...that's how I am comfortable seeing myself.

I am proud of my trees...it's just for me...I'm a quiet soul... but because I choose to not take it as seriously...I find it hard to classify myself where others put more into it. They put a lot into showing. Its another avenue that is a niche I commend their heart for.

If I had the opportunity...or should I say desire to do it seriously. Then I would maybe take more credit to where I stand in the community. But those who have deep roots in showing. Yeah, I don't think it qualifies me to see myself differently than where I stand today. But...I'm happy... end of the day. That's where I'm at. And I'm content.

I've done walk through strolls of my garden...at a group I helped create. But am no longer part of it on Facebook. Those strolls I think one can enjoy for sure...there are all aspects of this hobby that can feed ones soul.

Maybe we can get some to share their gardens on a slow walk through them. In another avenue of sharing than what this one intends to do.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Just as there are levels of trees, there are also the same levels of display chops. I would not expect anyone below intermediate to have anything but a tree that they want to show. Intermediate will want to show their skill with pot pairings and display. Advanced should be expected to have the whole nine yards. And BTW scrolls are not actually required, unless the contest is a Kazari competition. I don’t have a tokonama to photograph in, but I do have a backdrop that I do photos against and that works just fine as I’m sure would work for others. I don’t think this would discourage newer members, I think it would help them become interested in moving their trees and displays forward and bettering their skills.
For an online expo these seem like good compromises for those that don’t have Access to or their own display material. I for instance am learning to propagate moss and tiny ferns while I’m working on trees so that come time I will have something! But that’s far and away still I will definitely be in category 1 lmao!

Although the tree I think would be closest is my Barbados Cherry and it’s barely been clipped a few times. Just great nursery stock that already had decent branches. I’m trying to promote back budding by removing every apical bud. I’m still deciding if I want to chop it for taper.

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would be totally happy seeing a “backyard expo” with trees that may be bonsai or pre-bonsai that the community at different levels are proud of.

Would anyone have issues with 2 weeks of prep for that? No pressure and no real rules except to please take reasonably decent pictures without beer bottles

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I would be totally happy seeing a “backyard expo” with trees that may be bonsai or pre-bonsai that the community at different levels are proud of.

Would anyone have issues with 2 weeks of prep for that? No pressure and no real rules except to please take reasonably decent pictures without beer bottles
I think there is a thread. I can’t remember the name or who posted it it but it was a show us your best tree thread.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is what I was going to take to the Asheville Show:

View attachment 324578

of course, I would have redone the moss. And have a better accent. That’s just what I have sitting there.

Here are a couple other trees on my bench:

View attachment 324579

View attachment 324580

View attachment 324581

View attachment 324584

View attachment 324585
Absolutely stunning trees...the dedication you have applied shows in spades! Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom