Bonsai Nut Discord (Beta) for live discussions

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I added a "how to set up an event" channel in discord with instructions on how to get feed back on interest or possible times using the react emojiis.
If people need help just setting up a poll like that, reach out to me and I can help you do it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was trying to get a "Mid-Winter meetup chat" going in my(our) Tiny Tree Study forum..

I put out some feelers, but not a lot of interest back to me (or maybe I missed it).. which was surprising, considering how excited we all were to have Sandy set this up.

I think it needs to be announced both in Discord and here on the forums since people are in both places.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, I tried joining the discord server but the link appears to be invalid.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am a big Discord user; would love to have something like this with a broader audience. I already have one with my study group, but only 3 of us are really active on it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, I tried joining the discord server but the link appears to be invalid.
When you join, please make your server name match your forum name so I know who you are and I'll add you to the members group. I do this to prevent trolls joining the discord.

Also remember if people would like to schedule a live discussion, anyone can.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Discord in general is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
From TOS, business practices and devs/staff down to userbase. Heavy users tend to be the worst. Of course some good and normal folk use it too because of its decent functionality and somewhat monopoly position for its niche.
I recommend staying away from it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From TOS, business practices and devs/staff down to userbase. Heavy users tend to be the worst. Of course some good and normal folk use it too because of its decent functionality and somewhat monopoly position for its niche.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but my experience has been otherwise. I interact with 1000s of people on the platform and most of them are good people. The community is no different than people you come across anywhere else in the world. It's just people.

I have been using Discord for seven years and am a member of over 20 servers mainly in the video gaming community. Aside from the occasional user that is a troll, which is common in the realm of video games, I have never encountered a problem with any thing else you mentioned. I don't think I have ever interacted with any Discord devs or staff.

I have heard of a couple of scams perpetrated by people but just like with your email and cell phone texts, don't click on a link in a private message from someone you don't know.

People here asked for a Discord to use to have live discussions so I created one. I have put things in place to prevent trolls and people that are not actually part of BNut from causing a problem. It's been in existence for over a year and we have had no problems.

If you don't want to participate, don't. It is your choice but don't disparage others for participating.

Last edited:

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I think you have Discord confused with Reddit.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow, why the trolling mate?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow, why the trolling mate?
I'm not. Its my genuine opinion coming from actual (increasingly coerced) use of the platform, and looking into it further.
I encourage people to use other means of communication. I'm sure the creators of this thread had good intentions though.
You can use what you wish.
Bonsainut posts and DMs have worked well enough for me in regards to the bonsai hobby.
That's all I care to say about this.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, my experience with Discord has been entirely positive, and I've been using it since 2017. The audio has always been excellent, and now that they've added video, it's become an extremely versatile platform. I use it once or twice a week for RPG night with my college friends, plus some new internet friends we've added over the years.

Top Bottom