Bonsai Nut Discord (Beta) for live discussions

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wanting to try this out...is it still operational? Tried to join via the link but I'm getting a message that the invite has expired.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It seems that the invite is expired? Could you post a permanent invite link?

This is a great idea! I love Discord and use it for all sorts of communities.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It seems that the invite is expired? Could you post a permanent invite link?

This is a great idea! I love Discord and use it for all sorts of communities
I have been admining my clubs bonsai club on discord for the past year, even the permanent invites expire after a few weeks, discord is a great resource but I feel its just not being used enough by my club or bonsai nut. I think the admins were afraid that it would replace the website.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have been admining my clubs bonsai club on discord for the past year, even the permanent invites expire after a few weeks, discord is a great resource but I feel its just not being used enough by my club or bonsai nut. I think the admins were afraid that it would replace the website.
Almost all of my hobbies existed previously on vbulletin forums. Now, like you, everything is Discord. I don’t mind the change. Although, I am a sucker for the nostalgia of classic forums.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Bumping this, as I forgot to join when this thread started!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Added the new people to the member list.

Yea it hasnt been very active but thats fine. It is winter and most of us have trees that are asleep right now (although with it being 50 and 60 degrees here in February.....,, :eek: ).
Its there if people want to do something with it
If someone wants to host a discussion, you all should be able to do it if you have been added to the member role

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I joined the Bnut Discord when it first opened, and at the time, there was a lot of rules being discussed of "What types of post should be in Discord" vs "What types of posts should be on Bnut" and a lot of concern with detracting from this site. I think those initial discussions and the rules that are still stated on the community guidelines deterred people from using it more.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I joined the Bnut Discord when it first opened, and at the time, there was a lot of rules being discussed of "What types of post should be in Discord" vs "What types of posts should be on Bnut" and a lot of concern with detracting from this site. I think those initial discussions and the rules that are still stated on the community guidelines deterred people from using it more.

That’s probably for the best. The main goal is to keep it available for the voice chat, like @HorseloverFat’s tiny tree study group.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes that makes sense. In addition to utilizing the voice server for a study group, I could see like a once per month (say the first of every month) discord chat hangout working and being fun.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

The "guidelines" not rules (I specifically didnt use that word so people didnt get their panties in a bunch over OMG rules} are

To be respectful of others
Keep the topics mainly to bonsai and related stuff only
and to change your server nickname to match your forum name so we know who the hell you are.

You consider that too much?

Yes there is a concern that people will stop posting here and post there instead.
If that happens, there is no reason for Gregg to continue funding the forum which is a great resource has everything nicely and neatly arranged and easier to find.
The point of the discord was to provide a place for live discussions in voice and not to replace this forum.
I admit part of this was my not wanting to feel like I am to stepping on Greggs toes so to speak and take away all that he works hard for this forum for.
It was out of respect for that if nothing else.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes that makes sense. In addition to utilizing the voice server for a study group, I could see like a once per month (say the first of every month) discord chat hangout working and being fun.

Something like this would be nice but someone has to come up with an topic idea if there is something they specifically want to discuss
It could just be a general get together too if that is what people want to do.
They also need to decide on a time and let people know about it so they can participate if they want.

I set it up so anyone can announce an event. If everyone just expects others to do it then it wont get used much.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
well with the added discussion of the discord, 5-6 more people joined in the last 2 days

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The "guidelines" not rules (I specifically didnt use that word so people didnt get their panties in a bunch over OMG rules} are

To be respectful of others
Keep the topics mainly to bonsai and related stuff only
and to change your server nickname to match your forum name so we know who the hell you are.

Yes there is a concern that people will stop posting here and post there instead.
If that happens, there is no reason for Gregg to continue funding the forum which is a great resource has everything nicely and neatly arranged and easier to find.
The point of the discord was to provide a place for live discussions in voice and not to replace this forum.
I admit part of this was my not wanting to feel like I am to stepping on Greggs toes so to speak and take away all that he works hard for this forum for.
It was out of respect for that if nothing else.
discord is such a powerful tool that can be used for many things like hosting a stream, I have tried to do this numerous times for the members of my club but it just goes over their heads, I have also tried to set up discord as a replacement for zoom meetings for our board meetings but that too is too complicated for the boomers on my board. Maybe we should set up a time and day each month to go on discord and join one of the voice channels up to 99 people can join a single voice server and have someone stream working on a tree or sets of trees, maybe have a room for conifer work, maple work, etc.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I was actually referring to the "Lets try to keep general questions to be posted on the forums. This discord isn't meant to be a replacement for the forums..." part and your concern that discord would be used as an alternative to Bnut. Discord serves a different user base then a message board like Bnut does. I don't think one detracts from the other. I am still in there participating where I can 👍

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
discord is such a powerful tool that can be used for many things like hosting a stream, I have tried to do this numerous times for the members of my club but it just goes over their heads, I have also tried to set up discord as a replacement for zoom meetings for our board meetings but that too is too complicated for the boomers on my board. Maybe we should set up a time and day each month to go on discord and join one of the voice channels up to 99 people can join a single voice server and have someone stream working on a tree or sets of trees, maybe have a room for conifer work, maple work, etc.
I am away from my computer but I think there is a channel for people to announce a discussion, event, get together, etc.

If someone would like to host a monthly discussion, anyone has the ability. Can even rotate hosts each month if people want.

I don't have the time to come up with topics and host monthly meetings.

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Added the new people to the member list.

Yea it hasnt been very active but thats fine. It is winter and most of us have trees that are asleep right now (although with it being 50 and 60 degrees here in February.....,, :eek: ).
Its there if people want to do something with it
If someone wants to host a discussion, you all should be able to do it if you have been added to the member role
I was trying to get a "Mid-Winter meetup chat" going in my(our) Tiny Tree Study forum..

I put out some feelers, but not a lot of interest back to me (or maybe I missed it).. which was surprising, considering how excited we all were to have Sandy set this up.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am away from my computer but I think there is a channel for people to announce a discussion, event, get together, etc.

If someone would like to host a monthly discussion, anyone has the ability. Can even rotate hosts each month if people want.

I don't have the time to come up with topics and host monthly meetings.

I'm totally down,... I'm an adequate EmCee... And used to host open mics.

Top Bottom