Bonsai Nut's personal pine entry thread

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
11/2 Ordered 1000 seeds from a range of vendors.

11/6 Got my first 200 seeds. Two different eBay seed vendors - treeseedsplus.com and mine222012. I'm keeping track of how long each order takes to arrive. Treeseedsplus.com threw in a bonus 20 seeds! (I ordered 100 and she sent 120!)

11/7 Got another packet of 100 seeds from eBay seller bkseeds. I have to admit they look small and nowhere near as consistent as the other two vendors. I am not very optimistic about this group of seeds.

11/10 Received a packet of 500 seeds from eBay vendor seeds-on-sale. They look large and quite uniform.

11/15 My seeds from Hong Kong are on their way. They are expected to arrive some time between Nov 22 and Dec 28 :) My seeds from Thailand have a similar delivery window.

11/16 My seeds from Thailand arrived. I ordered 100... and they sent 501! eBay seller pandoragarden.

11/27 My final seed packet came from Hong Kong. Exactly 100 seeds - but he threw in about 30 rose seeds as a gift. Pine seeds look a little dry / desiccated.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What 100 Japanese Black Pine seeds look like. I ordered 100 JBP seeds from eBay seller pandoragarden. It was clear he sent far more than 100. Because I am keeping track of germination rate for each vendor, I counted them. The bottom (small) pile is what 100 seeds looks like. The top pile is 401.

jbpine-seeds.jpg

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And i thought i was crazy with the 600 or so seeds i got! Awesome.

I'm probably going to lose at least 10% on the float test... I'll see in the morning.

And for the record... I ordered 1000. I thought it would be a nice even number. The 2798 is due to "extras" that various vendors threw in. I almost feel bad about reporting germination rates - because they should all be well above 100% (based on number order versus number received).

Only one vendor sent me EXACTLY the number of seeds I ordered. 100 ordered, 100 received. It also happened to be the vendor who sent my seeds in a ziplock bag. I'll wait and see the results, but he may need to up his game.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interestingly... my seeds from Hong Kong, which visually looked the best - very large and uniform - suffered the 15.4% failure rate on the float test. The seller provided extra seeds, as well as throwing in a bonus of "rose seeds" which I may plant just to see what the heck pops up, but I was surprised because I thought the seeds would yield better results.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When do you plan on taking them out of the fridge and planting them?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When do you plan on taking them out of the fridge and planting them?

Probably first week of February. I have a problem because I am about to have my kitchen gutted, so I am little worried about stable temps in the fridge if we are moving appliances around. I may just plant them up to get them outside sooner.

Reaction score
I placed mine in an isolated bag to cope with temp swing. You can put in a cooling element if you worry.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You think tree seeds are bad, I have an open container with a rabbit leg sticking out, and a zip lock with the torso. My wife made me label my containers because she got tired of opening a repurposed yogurt container and finding half a quail. I had to get my own freezer when the fur/feathers in the ice cube trays got to be too much.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Down here, there is an old fridge, used for stuff like that and the wintering
of trees.
Not exactly hygienic to be putting Bonsai stuff in the fridge for the family.
Good Day
Anthony

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Not just wives. My hubby learned long ago not to look at or question weird baggies/containers in the fridge.
You think tree seeds are bad, I have an open container with a rabbit leg sticking out, and a zip lock with the torso. My wife made me label my containers because she got tired of opening a repurposed yogurt container and finding half a quail. I had to get my own freezer when the fur/feathers in the ice cube trays got to be too much.
Down here, there is an old fridge, used for stuff like that and the wintering
of trees.
Not exactly hygienic to be putting Bonsai stuff in the fridge for the family.
Good Day
Anthony
My son has 3 ball pythons as pets... guess what is sitting on top of the bag of frozen peas in the freezer in the garage???:p

Top Bottom