Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For the record - the tree seed vendors used:

#1: eBay seller "mikenguyenstore" (Hong Kong) - 110 seeds into the soil
#2: eBay seller "pandoragarden" (Thailand) - 477 seeds into the soil
#3: eBay seller "bkseeds" (domestic) - 165 seeds into the soil
#4: eBay seller "seeds-on-sale" aka "treeseeds.com" (domestic) - 1724 seeds into the soil
#5: eBay seller "treeseedsplus.com" (domestic) - 160 seeds into the soil
#6: eBay seller "mine222012" (domestic) - 95 seeds into the soil

My two international sources are doing really poorly.

Total spent for all seeds (including shipping) $60.15 - however almost 2/3rds of my seeds came from treeseeds.com because he included 350% of my original order quantity. My treeseeds.com order was $17.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha ha, Interesting, thus far my Brunei seller is almost 100%
And with the smallest seeds.
Re-ordered three more packs, they come in foil.

Now looking for super seed/s.
Best of Growing
Anthony

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah... my Hong Kong seller had the best looking seeds. They were all big and uniform. But they had the highest failure rate on the float test, and as of right now I think I have a total of three seedlings :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice. That's 2/3 more than I started.

I am going to start the cutting process today. We'll see how many last. I am going to do some cuttings, some tap roots, and leave some alone, and compare the three at the end of the year... at which point I will winnow down my collection of contest seedlings to 100 or less.

FWIW, I have a number of leggy black pines that have been begging for some grafts for years now.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm new around here. Are you guys that are planting 1000s of seeds, in this commercially, or just really obsessed with the hobby?! :D

@substratum We are starting a 6 year black pine bonsai from seed contest. People have been planting lots of seeds because they plan on killing a fair number of them :) Or because you order 100 seeds... and they send you 400 :)

It is not too late to start some seeds yourself, and join the fun. You could order them, pop them in the soil and have tons of seedlings by the end of March.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's about how I feel and only did like 35 cuttings. Between everything else that's been going on in bonsai world all at once this spring, I'm whipped. I have about 1000 Japanese maple seedlings I'm trying too. Going to fill up whole yard I guess and get the boot from my wife. I'm thinking about another 50 from this second batch, then the third batch I will probably go poor in the woods somewhere and start a black pine forest!!:)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have had one (of 90) cuttings fail so far. I simply replace it with another out of my seedling tray.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great! Though I have to say I am in the great unknown from this point forward since I have never done pine cuttings before. I lost only one pine cutting, so I think that is pretty good(?)
Would you mind explaining how you got from seedlings to cuttings? In essence, explain your purpose and plans for what you are doing.

Every time I log in here, I learn something significant.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In essence, explain your purpose and plans for what you are doing.

If you let a pine seedling grow normally, it will develop a long central tap root first, and then will shoot a long thin trunk second, with few low buds.

If you cut the seedling, it will develop radial roots without a central leader, and will develop much lower growth with more lower buds for low branch development.

Last edited:

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
If you let a pine seedling grow normally, it will develop a long central tap root first, and then will shoot a long thing trunk second, with few low buds.

If you cut the seedling, it will develop radial roots without a central leader, and will develop much lower growth with more lower buds for low branch development.
And if you cut again, and again the radial roots are crazy good. Marks future is secure. :cool:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You only lost one in 2 months? I think you are good to go. I have noticed some of mine are starting to dampen off. I waited too long and we are getting to the really humid stagnant summer .

Top Bottom