Bonsai Nut's personal pine entry thread

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Growing like crazy. Having problems because some of the pines in the interiors of the trays are getting shaded out by the pines on the exterior and are not growing as quickly. I may split them up into every other row (with empty soil-filled containers between rows) so that all pines get a little more sun and fresh air. Wire is getting deeply embedded. Some of the fatter pines are getting close to finger width at the wire swelling locations.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No doubt! What a difference sun and heat makes! Are these getting full sun all day? They look a full year ahead of mine and similar height and girth to my 2017 crop!

Yes they get full sun all day, but we have also had more than our fair share of marine layer this year. It has been much cooler than average.

If I had to attribute the health/growth to a couple of things it would be:
(1) Heavy fertilization with acid fertilizer
(2) Letting the roots run out of the bottoms of the pots

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing like crazy. Having problems because some of the pines in the interiors of the trays are getting shaded out by the pines on the exterior and are not growing as quickly. I may split them up into every other row (with empty soil-filled containers between rows) so that all pines get a little more sun and fresh air. Wire is getting deeply embedded. Some of the fatter pines are getting close to finger width at the wire swelling locations.

View attachment 252975

View attachment 252976

View attachment 252977
Are you leaving the wire on?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are you leaving the wire on?

I haven't decided. I was talking to Ed Clark of Round Valley Nursery because he had some young JBP at the Bonsaiathon back in Feb. He leaves the first wire on, and then rewires in the opposite direction the following year. The second layer of wire he allows to bite in heavily, and then removes. He basically said "you need to do the exact opposite of what good bonsai wiring should look like - you need to make sure the wire isn't parallel and the loops aren't equidistant". It makes the scarring look more natural and less like a barber pole.

I'll have to decide when I transplant - which I plan to do in December.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't decided. I was talking to Al Clark of Round Valley Nursery because he had some young JBP at the Bonsaiathon back in Feb. He leaves the first wire on, and then rewires in the opposite direction the following year. The second layer of wire he allows to bite in heavily, and then removes. He basically said "you need to do the exact opposite of what good bonsai wiring should look like - you need to make sure the wire isn't parallel and the loops aren't equidistant". It makes the scarring look more natural and less like a barber pole.

Sometimes it feels like Al Clark!

Reaction score
I haven't decided. I was talking to Al Clark of Round Valley Nursery because he had some young JBP at the Bonsaiathon back in Feb. He leaves the first wire on, and then rewires in the opposite direction the following year. The second layer of wire he allows to bite in heavily, and then removes. He basically said "you need to do the exact opposite of what good bonsai wiring should look like - you need to make sure the wire isn't parallel and the loops aren't equidistant". It makes the scarring look more natural and less like a barber pole.

I'm really curious about letting wire grow in. There was an article in bonsai focus where they let wire grow in (bonsai grower in japan) and then i saw this on sylvestris: http://www.giacomopappalardo.com/shopping/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=382
Cool tree's wish i can grow this.

Still i'm getting more and more respect for people that are growing bonsai from seeds.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For the record - the tree seed vendors used:

#1: eBay seller "mikenguyenstore" (Hong Kong) - 110 seeds into the soil
#2: eBay seller "pandoragarden" (Thailand) - 477 seeds into the soil
#3: eBay seller "bkseeds" (domestic) - 165 seeds into the soil
#4: eBay seller "seeds-on-sale" aka "treeseeds.com" (domestic) - 1724 seeds into the soil
#5: eBay seller "treeseedsplus.com" (domestic) - 160 seeds into the soil
#6: eBay seller "mine222012" (domestic) - 95 seeds into the soil

My two international sources are doing really poorly.

Total spent for all seeds (including shipping) $60.15 - however almost 2/3rds of my seeds came from treeseeds.com because he included 350% of my original order quantity. My treeseeds.com order was $17.
Oh i jumped the gun... nvmd disregard previous message

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So how am I supposed to cheat if you don't update your post this year? I'm repotting all mine tomorrow got all my Decidous trees going now for conifers. I'm thinking it's about right

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So how am I supposed to cheat if you don't update your post this year? I'm repotting all mine tomorrow got all my Decidous trees going now for conifers. I'm thinking it's about right

I'll post some soon... as soon as I get a break from rain and get some nice weather. I may be screwing my chances for nice trees because I was unable to repot them (so far) because I am expecting to move shortly and I wanted to repot AFTER the move, not before. They are all still alive however.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I am in a huge bind. I am supposed to move this week, so I have been holding off repotting anything. However I'm not sure (given the current situation with CoViD-19) whether we will be able to complete our move or not... and how long we might be delayed.

So my contest pines are in a state of suspended animation right now. They desperately need work, but I am holding off because I want them to be strong for the move. This is a representation of what they look like.

pinez.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t care for the pines that have the wire left in. No matter what is done to them they still look artificial.

oh, I know it’s done in Japan. It’s how they make their mallsai. But that doesn’t mean we should copy it. Better bonsai can be made by removing the wire before severe scarring has occurred.

The commercial growers in Japan grow thousands of these things. They don’t care about the scars. A home hobbiest can spend the 15 minutes per tree to remove the wire!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Newcomers will be as welcome as the plague, so to speak, until this too, shall come to pass. You're going to be stuck for some time, repot now.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t care for the pines that have the wire left in. No matter what is done to them they still look artificial.

oh, I know it’s done in Japan. It’s how they make their mallsai. But that doesn’t mean we should copy it. Better bonsai can be made by removing the wire before severe scarring has occurred.

The commercial growers in Japan grow thousands of these things. They don’t care about the scars. A home hobbiest can spend the 15 minutes per tree to remove the wire!
I see what you are saying. But in BT#12 or BT#20 wasnt it part of the technique to let the with bite in a bit after the first time wiring to promote bark growth. Just curious cause I just put my 2 year old in colanders and wired them for the first time. Should I let wire bite in some? Will it help with trunk bark.

Top Bottom