Bonsai on int'l flight

• Thread starter Deleted member 38190
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38190

Hi everyone, I'm going to see my relatives this winter (they live in a different country, I'm going to be gone for 3-4 months), and no one is going to be here to take care of the bonsai. Any suggestions? Should I ship it in the mail to my destination? Do I need any special certificates? I have no idea.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi everyone, I'm going to see my relatives this winter (they live in a different country), and no one is going to be here to take care of the bonsai. Any suggestions? Should I ship it in the mail to my destination? Do I need any special certificates? I have no idea.

Probably wont be able to get it back into the country.

D

Deleted member 38190

I know.
Probably going to keep it there.

D

Deleted member 38190

Anyway I'm going to visit every few months.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some bonsai nurseries will "board" trees -- you might find someone willing to mind it while you're away. Good luck!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You are asking for official trouble importing live plants into another country without a permit. You might be subject to a big fine or worse depending upon where you're going. Customs officers are always watchful of "plant" material because of drug mules, so it's not like nobody is interested in little ol' you. Gift the plant to someone, anyone.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not worth the effort and the risk.
Tons of regulations, rules, paperwork an time you probably don't have.

Find/pay someone to care for it, sell it or give it away.

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you leave your trees behind, is there somewhere you could plant them in the ground and have someone water them from time to time?
Watering trees in a flower bed is a lot easier for someone inexperienced to manage then properly watering prized bonsai in pots.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you leave your trees behind, is there somewhere you could plant them in the ground and have someone water them from time to time?
Watering trees in a flower bed is a lot easier for someone inexperienced to manage then properly watering prized bonsai in pots.
Don't burden others for the low value of a plant that can be replaced later.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
going to be gone for 3-4 months
Been on a sabbatical once while growing bonsai. I asked someone to care for my trees. Made sure I was gone in winter so minimal care was needed.
Anything else is just problematic.

D

Deleted member 38190

Never mind. I just realized that EVEN if I ship my plant in the mail, it's still going to arrive half dead.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Never mind. I just realized that EVEN if I ship my plant in the mail, it's still going to arrive half dead.

They ship Chinese elms from China to Europe all the time - they are in the dark for 30-35 days...they just lose leaves and regrow them again. That's yet another reason they are used as bonsai.

Where are you going?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will NOT be able to bring the plant back into the U.S. If you pack it your luggage, it stands the chance of confiscation by Customs and Border Protection. If you try to bring it aboard with you on the flight, it will most likely be refused or confiscated. Live plant material such as bonsai face strict quarantine rules on shipping into the U.S. because of agricultural disease concerns.

See "Artificiallly Dwarfed Plants for Planting section--

Depending on what country you're traveling to, similar rules could apply on your outbound trip too.

Give the tree away. Get another when you're more settled.

Top Bottom