Bonsai on Life Support - Please help!

shogan

Seed
Reaction score
Hello! My roommate and I have been proud owners of this Brazilian Rain Forest Bonsai for 3 YEARS.

Sadly, our neighbor only watered it only once while we were away for two weeks, and all the leaves fell off.

It's been a month, but I'm convinced it's still alive. All of the branches are still green and nimble, and it's shown little buds here and there. The problem is... no leaves, no energy. It needs just one leaf to start a comeback.

Can anyone offer help?

It's on life support so any ideas are welcome. One thought is to prune branches to conserve energy. But we're not sure if we should do that from the main branch or the smaller ones.

* Apologies if this is the wrong thread - I'm new here*
Many thanks!

Attachments

• Bonsai Life Support 1.jpg
    Bonsai Life Support 1.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Bonsai Life Support 2.jpg
    Bonsai Life Support 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Bonsai Life Support 3.jpg
    Bonsai Life Support 3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 50

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

(1) Where do you live and where are you keeping your tree?

(2) The green branches are still alive, the brown ones are not. Brazilian Rain Trees can drop their foliage during stress or times of drought - or even during an unusual cold spell. Keep it warm and in full sun, and it should pop back. Strangely, though you want to keep it watered, be careful that you don't OVER-water right now. Because the tree has dropped its leaves, its need for water is sharply decreased right now - until it pushes new foliage. Make sure the soil stays damp - but not water-logged or swamp-like.

I would not trim anything right now... it doesn't necessarily help, and you might accidentally prune away live parts of the tree.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmm.. I lack specific BRT experience. But it APPEARS that there is life inside.

You said it’s been a month with no leaves... leaves transfer water.. so HOPEFULLY you have not been “panic-induced overwatering”.. ;)

I’ve accidentally “stressed” tropical/arid zone trees into a dormancy before.(Around 40 days)... I’m NOT sure if Brazilian Rain Trees do this as well.. someone will know.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Welcome to the site!

(2) The green branches are still alive, the brown ones are not. Brazilian Rain Trees can drop their foliage during stress or times of drought - or even during an unusual cold spell. Keep it warm and in full sun, and it should pop back. Strangely, though you want to keep it watered, be careful that you don't OVER-water right now. Because the tree has dropped its leaves, its need for water is sharply decreased right now - until it pushes new foliage. Make sure the soil stays damp - but not water-logged or swamp-like.

I would not trim anything right now... it doesn't necessarily help, and you might accidentally prune away live parts of the tree.
Hahaha.. beat me to it!

shogan

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

Wow, thank you so much for the reply! This makes my day. There is hope!

1.) I live in Brooklyn. It's cold right now, so the only sun is right by a drafty window. I do have a lamp, which I could use to protect it from the cold, but I'm not sure if that's enough light. Any thoughts on that?

2.) Ok, good to know. Fortunately, I have not been over-watering it. I remember reading it will use a lot less during a setback like this, but I will make sure to keep the soil a bit damp.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The green branches are green because of chlorophyll. The plant can use light for photosynthesis even though it doesn't have leaves. Direct sunlight is best of course.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also would not trim anything off just yet. The tree will compartmentalize the problem as well as it can...you're just as likely to be fighting what the tree wants to do as help.

The green stems and that little bit of green way out at the tip is not the kind of green you're looking for. What you really want to look for are buds that will grow new foliage. They most often appear at the outside of the zigs often between thorns or a thorn and the branch.

20210220_144852.jpg 20210220_144925.jpg

Unfortunately, drought is hard for many plants to come back from :( If the roots died...it may not be able to come back even though the above soil growth is still "alive".

shogan

Seed
Reaction score
I also would not trim anything off just yet. The tree will compartmentalize the problem as well as it can...you're just as likely to be fighting what the tree wants to do as help.

The green stems and that little bit of green way out at the tip is not the kind of green you're looking for. What you really want to look for are buds that will grow new foliage. They most often appear at the outside of the zigs often between thorns or a thorn and the branch.

View attachment 355629 View attachment 355630

Unfortunately, drought is hard for many plants to come back from :( If the roots died...it may not be able to come back even though the above soil growth is still "alive".
Great info, thank you very much!

I will share an update here if our friend comes back to life. It might be a good case study for the future :)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think there is a fairly decent CHANCE it got “scared into dormancy”..

For instance.. some real young Palo Verde from seed... both repotted/transplanted at the same time. The rest of the seedlings resemble the “leafed” one.. but ONE.. the one whose roots where disturbed the most.. almost immediately blew all it’s leaves... it’s been sittin’ like that for 2 1/2 weeks.. no foliage, still green and drinking. New buds began swelling yesterday.
CF413247-D436-40BB-B3CE-FB29259C10EC.jpegB1C042D9-FC70-40D8-B065-A4D17F8A721B.jpeg

Just giving you an example of stress induced dormancy in a SLIGHTLY similar species.

🤓

Reaction score
I’m no expert but from what I’ve found they tend to be quite drought resistant, not quite like a camel though.. the worst thing you can do now is over water it. That could create root rot and kill the roots if they aren’t already dried up.. I wouldn’t stress about it too much, these can be killed with love as I’ve learned before.. I wouldn’t recommend putting it by a drafty window because that would hurt it more than do it good but it does need direct sunlight amd as much as you can get. Amazon has affordable grow lights that may help but you get what you pay for..

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Be patient with it. It could take a few weeks before it starts to push new growth if it is going to.
Watch the watering. Because it has no leaves, it wont need as much water as usual. Water it ONLY when it needs it which means when its almost dry but not dry yet.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Stab yourself with the thorns, if it hurts, it's still alive.

Joke!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Just make sure you try this, STRAIGHT at it... thorns/barbs take a GOOD while to “work their way out”

🤣🤣

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Just be patient. I had one that sat without leaves for a couple of months. I had little hope, but watered it here and there anyway. Sure enough, it woke up and is doing fine.

Top Bottom