Bonsai on the Bayou Houston, TX April 11-14, 2019

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL - I’ve made the drive from Seattle to Houston a couple of times. I’m pretty sure it’s eleventy million miles. At least that’s how it felt.

Scott
Last fall we drove from Vancouver island to Newfoundland ( two ferry's) and then back through the northern states. The first time across Canada in 2012 we went through the states to Maine and then up to Nova Scotia and back across to Vancouver Island the northern route in Canada. We have not seen many of the southern and eastern states so that will likely be the next road trip. I think you are pretty accurate on the distance and in 2017 the trip across and back totalled 16,500 km. Give or take a few left turns and back tracks. The van stops for all Quilt Shows and Bonsai Events along the way.
I would love to take in a day workshop with Will and pick up some carving ideas. The line up for the convention looks really interesting and very high talent level.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Last fall we drove from Vancouver island to Newfoundland ( two ferry's) and then back through the northern states. The first time across Canada in 2012 we went through the states to Maine and then up to Nova Scotia and back across to Vancouver Island the northern route in Canada. We have not seen many of the southern and eastern states so that will likely be the next road trip. I think you are pretty accurate on the distance and in 2017 the trip across and back totalled 16,500 km. Give or take a few left turns and back tracks. The van stops for all Quilt Shows and Bonsai Events along the way.
I would love to take in a day workshop with Will and pick up some carving ideas. The line up for the convention looks really interesting and very high talent level.

It’s going to be a GREAT convention, if I do say so myself, and we’re lining up workshop and demo material commensurate with the talent. I hope you make it - I’ll personally give you a big Texas welcome.

Scott

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm really looking forward to this! I started my bonsai journey about ten months ago and have yet to attend a show. Really looking forward to seeing Ryan work, as well as the others!

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
LOL - I’ve made the drive from Seattle to Houston a couple of times. I’m pretty sure it’s eleventy million miles. At least that’s how it felt.

Scott
How many days? I have been thinking of flying to Seattle to visit my son, rent a truck to shop for trees and drive back.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How many days? I have been thinking of flying to Seattle to visit my son, rent a truck to shop for trees and drive back.

Hi Hoe. I used to do it in 4 days. Seattle to Bozeman, Bozeman to Denver, Denver to OKC, OKC to Houston. I think that was about 10 hours a day driving.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I will be there! Thanks

Look forward to seeing you. We’re working hard to make sure there is something for everyone. Including shiners at the pub committee meeting every evening.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is there an email list so I can have a chance at getting a slot I actually want? I don't want to miss out.

Hi Bill. We’re working hard to open registration in September. A link to the online registration forms will be posted to the HBS, LSBF and ABS websites. I’ll also post it here, and to various Facebook pages. I really think you’ll like the number and variety of workshops and seminars available. Looking forward to seeing you there!

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
May be a dumb question, but this will be my first convention to attend; will there be a vendor area? I'm really hoping to pick up a new tree or two...or six.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
May be a dumb question, but this will be my first convention to attend; will there be a vendor area? I'm really hoping to pick up a new tree or two...or six.

Absolutely! There will be a very large vendor area.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
*Crosses fingers* come oooooon somebody with a ton of bald cypress!

You’re in luck. Clark Long will be there. He will be leading a workshop and will have many collected Bald Cypress for sale. You can purchase whatever you like from him for his workshop. There will be several other vendors with collected bald cypress as well. Also one of the demo trees is a beautiful collected bald cypress.

S

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice! I really hope I can get a spot in that workshop. I've been incredibly intrigued by bald cypress since I started in bonsai last year and I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You’re in luck. Clark Long will be there. He will be leading a workshop and will have many collected Bald Cypress for sale. You can purchase whatever you like from him for his workshop. There will be several other vendors with collected bald cypress as well. Also one of the demo trees is a beautiful collected bald cypress.

S
Who's doing the demo?

Top Bottom