Bonsai on the Road?

Marc Wiehn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We plan to buy a motorcoach in the spring of 2021 and start traveling the country as part-time RVers on weekends, vacation trips, and spending holidays with family. At some point down the road we plan to do it full-time, sell the house, etc. I have had bonsai for the last 30 plus years and really enjoy it. Once we hit the road full-time though I am not sure if I can continue to have a few trees. Ironically I would have a lot more time to care for them and enjoy them. My question is this, can you keep bonsai while being a nomad? I should add that I am not into indoor bonsai. I tried and tried, but for some reason they don't do anything for me. I am aware that traveling in and out of climate zones will be a challenge to outdoor trees. Also, some states might have restrictions about bringing in plant material? I simply dread the thought of giving up this hobby. What do you guys think?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My first thought was, indoor stuff would be the best option, but even still it might be stressful if you change locations abruptly at weird times of the year. Since you're not into it then that doesn't matter anyway.
If your significant other is okay with it, you could plan your trips so you aren't shocking the trees with each relocation. That being said you'd need to keep species that are good from zones 4-9 to give yourself the best chance. There's a couple cockroach trees that are good across the US and hard to kill, but you know that. Unless of course you plan on staying in warmer temperate areas, guess that makes all the difference.
I personally would keep a very small collection of shohin just for ease of moving constantly. But then again my own personal nightmare is being a nomad now that I caught the bonsai bug haha. good luck, hope you find a way to keep a few trees

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Depends if you own property.

If you own property, stick a bunch of trees in the ground, and come back to rough prune them once per year. After 10 years on the road you will come home to some big trees! :) I know a guy who did just that before he went into the military. 200 bloodgood maple cuttings that were a couple of years old - all went into a plot of land on his parent's farm. He got a little side-tracked, and after 20 years came home to some pretty good-sized Japanese maples!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Trade with compatriots for figs, Arboricola, Jade, and others that that are bullet proof tropicals. The sunlight that reaches houseplants varies a lot from day-to-day and those that stay inside don't really know summer from winter, anyhow. I would not put them outdoors in different places to keep from transporting various and sundry life forms from one place to another.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I figure the shaking of an RV, no matter how good the suspension is, might displace the soil to such an extent that the roots might give up.
I have taken plants for bicycle rides and that was what happened. You can tie a plant to a pot, but tying the soil down is something else.
But an RV grown plant would make an awesome windswept design.

I like the idea of club to club movements and leaving things behind for people. Kind of like those 'pay it forward coffees'.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But an RV grown plant would make an awesome windswept design.
I’m sorry I laughed. I just had an image of you riding a bike with a plant in a handlebar basket and your head peeking through masses of foliage as you breezed along.
And I got a laugh picturing a bonsai on top of an RV, or as a hood ornament.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Strap a juniper on the roof top and I see the makings of a nice windswept bonsai in your future. ;)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
run a custom roof rack or hitch mount to take your outdoor trees with you while on the rd
(savage suggestion i know)

i actually hadnt read the comment above mine before my response.
well played @Tiki

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Psst, Benjamin......one word: .............PLASTIC !!

Marc Wiehn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seeing how this quickly got off the rails, I wanted to thank you all for good ideas, advice, and several good laughs. :)
My plan is to have two or three shohin sized trees that are somewhat adaptable to different growing zones. I understand that I will have to put a lot of effort into providing adequate "winter" for some species, and that some plants will require considerable effort to thrive while on the road. I am going to go forward with it and see what happens. Thanks again for all your thoughts, funnies and advice! :)

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don't forget that shohin fit in a refridgerator. Some on this forum have had success doing that. Many more have killed trees. The trick is in the humidity, but I have no experience.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
California may confiscate your trees at their ag inspection check points

Top Bottom