Bonsai opportunities during the pandemic?

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Anyone know of any good opportunities caused by the pandemic?

I know hardware stores are still open and surely garden centers too, and while food plants might be in demand, there may not be many people buying ornamentals.

The streets are far more empty than usual, maybe a good time to go collecting as well.

Maybe there are some bargains to find on Craigslist on account of people needing quick money.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone know of any good opportunities caused by the pandemic?

I know hardware stores are still open and surely garden centers too, and while food plants might be in demand, there may not be many people buying ornamentals.

The streets are far more empty than usual, maybe a good time to go collecting as well.

Maybe there are some bargains to find on Craigslist on account of people needing quick money.

I would say don't be stupid, don't take advantage, and don't put someone else at risk for your short term gain.

You need to realize that if you scoop a bonsai up from someone that really needs some cash you are probably just depleting the stock of trees around you.

It might be better to trade, buy the tree short term, or help another bonsai nut out rather than robbing them while they're in a tough spot. Their are few enough of us as it is.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Forced to say home from work. So yeah, lots of opportunity for work on bonsai.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How dare you not live in fear.

How dare you, sir.

Now roll over and let the ankle biters eat you bowels first.

BonsaiGnome

Sapling
Reaction score
Sowed probably 200+ maple seeds that I collected out of the creek while kayaking a week or so ago...

opportunity

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just stay home and keep away from stores if you dont absolutely need to go. Doing otherwise is criminally irresponsible
Perhaps my wording wasn't the best given the current hysteria.

All it takes are a few basic precautions to avoid contributing to the pandemic. A face mask, hand sanitizer, and some social distancing goes a long way.

Sowed probably 200+ maple seeds that I collected out of the creek while kayaking a week or so ago...

opportunity
That's the spirit!

Last edited:

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm sorry, but I find even the title of this thread a bit reprehensible.
This thread might come across a little tone deaf but I don't have malicious intentions. This forum has a more positive vibe than most other places on the internet, and so I would like to encourage the discussion of good natured opportunities and not taking advantage of vulnerable people.

I would say don't be stupid, don't take advantage, and don't put someone else at risk for your short term gain.

You need to realize that if you scoop a bonsai up from someone that really needs some cash you are probably just depleting the stock of trees around you.

It might be better to trade, buy the tree short term, or help another bonsai nut out rather than robbing them while they're in a tough spot. Their are few enough of us as it is.
Not looking to rob anyone. I'm looking more in the realm of rescuing discount material rotting away in a garden center.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nobody at work is taking out the plastics to the recycling bin. So I managed to collect a bunch of pipette tip containers that make great training pots.
Too bad they're bright orange.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

One could ask why you self righteously automatically take such a negative perspective of the question? It is an honest question unlike your condemnation! YOU should also realize many of us HAVE sold things under similar circumstances. What goes around comes around even if it is to someone elses good instead of ours. Buying from one in such a circumstance IS helping them. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread might come across a little tone deaf but I don't have malicious intentions. This forum has a more positive vibe than most other places on the internet, and so I would like to encourage the discussion of good natured opportunities and not taking advantage of vulnerable people.

You overestimate the positive "vibe" on this forum. Several anal jerks exist here as you see:rolleyes:.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Not looking to rob anyone. I'm looking more in the realm of rescuing discount material rotting away in a garden center.

I was ok with it until your last sentence where you implied that you'd take advantage of someone who needs money for groceries.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

My bad. It just looked bad at first but I get what you're saying.

I got most of my stock from the garbage pile in nurseries. I'm not sure how much that will change during said pandemic but it never hurt to try. I probably would go picking too, if the wife would let me out of the house.:(

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

One could ask why you self righteously automatically take such a negative perspective of the question? It is an honest question unlike your condemnation! YOU should also realize many of us HAVE sold things under similar circumstances. What goes around comes around even if it is to someone elses good instead of ours. Buying from one in such a circumstance IS helping them. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

See above for my misreading and appology.

You overestimate the positive "vibe" on this forum. Several anal jerks exist here as you see:rolleyes:.

You must not see the irony.

Top Bottom