Bonsai or just trees in pots?

blb110

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I seem to like this size of tree. I am new to be bonsai and have some smaller trees. Are these bigger trees even bonsai or just landscape trees?2C6967CC-69FB-4C9C-801B-C3912881E74C.jpegF1CC936E-19BA-4FB2-A06E-13D01579FDC4.jpegB9B7A493-EC78-42B8-860B-41CC2BBB3B42.jpeg2AB4F0A0-B2C0-4A99-9A04-67AB9D42B8B0.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Trees in pots... atm. Just like oil paintings are simply oil and canvas before an artist starts to work.

Do you look at any of these trees and feel that you are looking at an ancient tree in the wild? Does it create an emotional response, like when you are walking through a grove of giant sequoias? Does it stop you in your tracks and you say "wow"?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In addition to what @Bonsai Nut
is saying.

While there ARE large.. bonsai trees... quite large in some cases...

The methods in which you train a bonsai tree, are essentially MINIATURIZED versions of that same tree... full-sized, exposed to all sorta of natural events that age, shape and mature a tree... the trees that STAND out of the 100's of Thousands that you see....

Miniaturized, Ancient nature...

The INTENT and attention to scale and taper is partially what creates this. It's the work you put IN...

You'll see soon enough, I'm sure. ;)

On the plus side.. you have some DECENT (said like Bubbles) material to begin with, If I'm being honest.

Soak up some Youtube videos

Just search "Bonsai from Nursery Stock"... look for some of the species you have...

I STRONGLY recommend checking out the "Growing Bonsai by Jelle" channel. SUPER informative and entertaining.

Peruse the threads... search "Nursery Stock".

Keep us posted..

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you, sounds like I just like to use bonsai pruning and potting techniques on landscape plants :)

If they STAY in containers... they aren't landscape plants.... if you use bonsai techniques on them, and CREATE this miniaturized "scale and taper"... they are large bonsai trees..

If you train them IN the ground... and still style them attractively, using bonsai techniques... THIS is called "Niwaki".

What you HAVE right now... is (pretty good quality) rough nursery stock.. in bonsai TRAINING.

🤓

It only gets better from here.

WimA

Sapling
Reaction score
The first one is very aesthetically pleasing to me, which I believe is one of the key points in bonsai (but also for landscape trees, I guess). The other ones not as much. Just my opinion. Lines are blurry.

I am a strong believer in doing what suits you ;)

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All trees pictured can be bonsai. First maple could be a potential cascade or semi-cascade bonsai. Last 2 trees could be informal upright, leaning, or windswept.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that first one a Tiger eye sumac?

I dig those for the landscape.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The INTENT and attention to scale and taper
However not all Bonsai have fat trunks. Elegant trees such as (often) Mtn Hemlock, Literati trees. Generally happens that reasonably fat trunks highly desired😁.

Sumac in first pic is very good start at a Bonsai, Just needs trunk😜🤣.

blb110

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have always had many plants in pots so I can take them with me when I move, change their locations around the yard when I want and because I don't have enough space to put them in the ground. so my goal is not really bonsai, I was just looking for ways to keep them healthy over the long run and figuring out how to keep them from getting rootbound.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Minor bone to pick with @HorseloverFat bonsai is NOT miniaturization of trees. Bonsai trees are NOT exactly to scale miniatures of their normal forms. Bonsai is an abstract representation meant to evoke an emotional response of a scene from nature. All our "rules" about trunk diameter and tree height are from Art Appreciation and Art classes not from measuring trees in nature. "The Rules" are about visual arts, not botany.

Bonsai is like Jazz with horticulture, it is free form. It is not as structured as music of the Baroque. Think Monet rather than Rembrandt. Or even Salvador Dali than Rembrandt.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Minor bone to pick with @HorseloverFat bonsai is NOT miniaturization of trees. Bonsai trees are NOT exactly to scale miniatures of their normal forms. Bonsai is an abstract representation meant to evoke an emotional response of a scene from nature. All our "rules" about trunk diameter and tree height are from Art Appreciation and Art classes not from measuring trees in nature. "The Rules" are about visual arts, not botany.

Bonsai is like Jazz with horticulture, it is free form. It is not as structured as music of the Baroque. Think Monet rather than Rembrandt. Or even Salvador Dali than Rembrandt.
I can dig this...

Definitely not ONLY scaling down.... But scaling down, and parameters of miniaturization are DEFINITELY present, in my soft, yellow opinion.

But as you said, artistic expression through this living medium, and the "feelings it evokes" are what REALLY matter in a presentation.

I spoke too narrowly, you are definitely correct.

I take for granted, as a person involved in predominantly artistic outlets for the majority of my life, that some people don't just INCLUDE "Art" and "Expressional Creation" into ever facet of their existence. I just "breathe" the warm air of artistic fabrication ( if even in theory) every step of my walk.

But Leo (the ORIGINAL Leo) is absolutely right, for me to term it as broad miniaturization is insulting to the art... And I apologize.

Also ...

"Monet rather than Rembrandt" is PERFECT!!

I had a hamster, who would come when called, loose in a room...

His name was Claude.... After that great impressionist.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(I'd like to talk about a fun piece of trivia.... Those "Visual Rules" that NE Illinois Studmuffin is speaking of... Relate to a pattern of numbers which graphs as a spiral... Which directly effects our perceptions of beauty( ('sublime' is a whole other set of rules and orders( ((good book)). And these rules, appear to have been FAR more important to the Japanese interpretation of Penzai, than China's Penzai itself.

It's fascinating to then, also, observe ONLY the trees on Hon Non Bo Compositions.... They appear to be LESS concerned with the spiral ((((visual rules))))), than 'bonsai Compositions, too.)

Top Bottom