Bonsai or Not?

Is Dracaena Varigata a possible Bonsai material?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello, Erika! My wife - a native Filipina - and I just relocated to Baguio from the United States for retirement. We own a lot in Pine Woods, planning start construction soon.

It would be great to meet some time so I can learn more about the bonsai scene and people here. I met an architect who had some bonsai - can't recall his name - and I ran into a guy named Rocky at the orchidarium shops in park downtown near here: he told me of two upcoming showings by local clubs, and we went to one down "in front of the church" in a small town down on the plains last weekend, but he must have got the date wrong ... I'm a little familar with the artist "Michael" down in the bonsasi commune there in Manila, where my wife's sister has recently started the hobby. I've got a few trees I'm starting on here in Baguio, with recent posts, as well as two still down in Maniula with my sister-in-law. You may also want to check out some of my old USA collection in my album here in the "media" section, and in a couple of the Tutorials in the the Resources section of this site.

We're renting an apartment downtown currently, but will move to a rental house in Park View at the first of the month, so things are rather hectic here at the moment, but let me know if you'd like to meet us. In any event, welcome to BNut, and I hope you like it here.

Hi Grouper... Thanks for the warm welcome... And welcome to the Philippines.... I live in Dominican Hill just few minutes walk from the Lourdes Grotto... You mentioned your wife as being native Filipina, did you mean to say that she is a highlander like me? I would love to meet you and will let you know when as soon as I am done with my family meetings... I'm sure you will love Baguio...

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Grouper... Thanks for the warm welcome... And welcome to the Philippines.... I live in Dominican Hill just few minutes walk from the Lourdes Grotto... You mentioned your wife as being native Filipina, did you mean to say that she is a highlander like me? I would love to meet you and will let you know when as soon as I am done with my family meetings... I'm sure you will love Baguio...

Thanks, Erika for the warm welcome. My wife - her name is Zenah - is from Bicol, and though it has some mountains, and the farm she grew up on has a little bit of elevation, neither she nor I can stand the heat down in the lowlands at all any more. Baguio seemed like a logical choice of location here, and the weather here is really beautiful to us both. I take it you are originally from Baguio? Our coding day is Thursday, BTW, so we'll have to coordinate our meeting around that. One of my wife's brothers-in-law, and a taxi driver in Manila years ago, acts as our driver here (and as my body guard when needed) so neither she nor I have learned to drive in this challenging traffic yet ... but we will need to learn before he returns to his family in Bicol in about four more months ...

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently unilaterally declared the legitimate existence of a separate category, for all the trees we have in pots that by traditional bonsai rules are ugly, low-class mutants, that for our own reasons we cherish and love. It might be the flowers, the bark, the place or time we obtained it....whatever. The category is called ‘nonsai’. Forget about scalene triangles, branches inside the curve, wide nebari, perfect taper, and so on. The only rules in nonsai are these two: [1] try not to kill the tree, and [2] if it pleases you and makes you happy, it’s cool.
The American Nonsai Society’s first interplanetary convention will take place at a time and location to be announced in the near future. Sites currently under consideration include a sushi and hibachi restaurant, and an Irish pub, both on the east side of the city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
The ANS has no membership application, no dues, no website, and no meetings. If you think you might be a member, you are. I’m still working on the official gang sign and the secret handshake.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Composition is good. Trunk of tree looks aged. Maybe not Bonsai but can still make look like tree which is good;).

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
I recently unilaterally declared the legitimate existence of a separate category, for all the trees we have in pots that by traditional bonsai rules are ugly, low-class mutants, that for our own reasons we cherish and love. It might be the flowers, the bark, the place or time we obtained it....whatever. The category is called ‘nonsai’. Forget about scalene triangles, branches inside the curve, wide nebari, perfect taper, and so on. The only rules in nonsai are these two: [1] try not to kill the tree, and [2] if it pleases you and makes you happy, it’s cool.
The American Nonsai Society’s first interplanetary convention will take place at a time and location to be announced in the near future. Sites currently under consideration include a sushi and hibachi restaurant, and an Irish pub, both on the east side of the city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
The ANS has no membership application, no dues, no website, and no meetings. If you think you might be a member, you are. I’m still working on the official gang sign and the secret handshake.

I'm gald that I'm not alone in exploring the possibilities of non-traditional bonsai...

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks, Erika for the warm welcome. My wife - her name is Zenah - is from Bicol, and though it has some mountains, and the farm she grew up on has a little bit of elevation, neither she nor I can stand the heat down in the lowlands at all any more. Baguio seemed like a logical choice of location here, and the weather here is really beautiful to us both. I take it you are originally from Baguio? Our coding day is Thursday, BTW, so we'll have to coordinate our meeting around that. One of my wife's brothers-in-law, and a taxi driver in Manila years ago, acts as our driver here (and as my body guard when needed) so neither she nor I have learned to drive in this challenging traffic yet ... but we will need to learn before he returns to his family in Bicol in about four more months ...

Yes I was born here in Baguio and my parents are from the Mountain Province just outside of Baguio City. Traffic is one of the growing problem of the city, it being the summer Capital of the country but i'm sure you will learn how to deal with it in no time... Our coding is Wednesday and I don't drive as well... My partner drives me around.

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you ... I'm still hopeful about it growing a nebari since the roots are starting to get thicker...
I have a young Dracaena cinnabari tree that I was planning on growing in a pot (so bonsai-like). Are there any special considerations when it comes to the roots of a monocot? How have you repotted/root pruned your tree? Has it been similar, in terms of procedure, to any of your traditional trees? Did you bare root it? What percentage of roots were you able to remove? The development of adventitious roots has probably probably been relatively quick, but, good nebari?

I know people always say that you can turn any tree into bonsai. The roots seem like a good place place to start when considering, for the first time, how exactly this is possible with a monocot tree.

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Can you wire the "branches"?
Lol good question! Mine hasn't branched yet and they don't usually branch for a while in the wild. I' m wondering/hoping though that I can get it to branch sooner in a bonsai pot by "pruning." According to wikipedia "Branching [for the dragon blood tree] tends to occur when the growth of the terminal bud is stopped, due to either flowering or traumatic events (e.g. herbivory)."

Top Bottom