Bonsai or Pre Bonsai Soil for wild Collected Trees

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello to everyone, I need help with some wild collected trees which i intend to work as bonsai in the future. I want to know if i can use bonsai soil directly with these collected trees or i should first train them with any special pre bonsai soil. If soil other than bonsai (pre bonsai) how to make that soil mixture ?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can use bonsai soil directly, but.. depending on the type of tree, there will be old soil stuck to the rootball. That soil has to stay there for a while, because of the micro flora it holds. You want those bacteria and fungi in your new bonsai soil.
Every repot, some of that old soil can be removed and switched for bonsai soil. And yes, that can take up to 8 repotting cycles sometimes. Sometimes just 3.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
All my collected trees go straight into the same bonsai mix that I use for all potted plants. There may be some species where that is not best but I haven't found those ones yet.
Leaving a little native soil on the roots won't hurt (and can often help transfer important bacteria and fungi as W.G.W. told you above) but trying to grow a tree in a container full of native soil can cause many problems with roots.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello to everyone, I need help with some wild collected trees which i intend to work as bonsai in the future. I want to know if i can use bonsai soil directly with these collected trees or i should first train them with any special pre bonsai soil. If soil other than bonsai (pre bonsai) how to make that soil mixture ?
What options do you have to work with in your local area of Pakistan. If you are restricted in options then a lot of the advice will be wasted.
Use the materials available that will allow for free drainage, some moisture retention and the particle sizes that will promote the root structure you desire.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What options do you have to work with in your local area of Pakistan. If you are restricted in options then a lot of the advice will be wasted.
Use the materials available that will allow for free drainage, some moisture retention and the particle sizes that will promote the root structure you desire.
This is probably the best piece of advice you got here

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got Pumice 6mm, 12mm and 30mm, Crushed Granite 8mm, Crushed Fired Clay 10mm, River Sand, Peat Moss, Compost, Coco Husk Chips, Coco Coir

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Most of the successful collectors in California and Western United States use pumice in a wooden box. Roots grow into it pretty quickly. Once that happens, the next step is removing the old mountain soil, and generally compacting the root structure. Finally, bonsai Mix is used once the tree is ready to go into a pot.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got Pumice 6mm, 12mm and 30mm, Crushed Granite 8mm, Crushed Fired Clay 10mm, River Sand, Peat Moss, Compost, Coco Husk Chips, Coco Coir
I would recommend using particle size of 6 to 8 mm of inorganic particles. Also check the PH of the materials you use to ensure the balance is not too acidic or alkaline.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would recommend using particle size of 6 to 8 mm of inorganic particles. Also check the PH of the materials you use to ensure the balance is not too acidic or alkaline.
how much inorganic and organic ratio please. Will these size inorganic suitable for large pots or to us large size in large pots ?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also vote for your pumice. No additional organics.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
how much inorganic and organic ratio please. Will these size inorganic suitable for large pots or to us large size in large pots ?
Personally i do not use organic components for Bonsai Soil. This is a product of my climate, species i prefer and the training i have received. If you choose to do so i would keep it on the low side 20% to 25 % at most. This is often dependant on the tree species and the climate. The particle size I use is basically the same regardless of the pot size. Particle size is often adjusted depending on the desired root structure not the size of the pot. There are different approaches , not just one method. One needs to make choices based on their own climate, watering practices, and types of trees. Economics are often considered if certain materials are costly to obtain. You will need to make decisions based on your own circumstances and product availability.
For collected trees i use pure pumice, the amount of original soil i leave initially is dependant on the species and its particular needs. Keep in mind the soil mix is one variable and other variables play a key role in their ultimate survival such as temperature, humidity and collection technique.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
100 percent inorganic fior 90
Percent of collected . Material . Lava . Pumice . Crushed granite . Fir drainage min 50 percent as much as 80 percent . Oil dry turface for moisture retention . Some inorganic for select few trees that love organic soil or slow to recover 10 percent max . Pine bark . Some trees common needle juniper example pure granite very carefull watering

Top Bottom