Bonsai Orange Tree questions

the miniaturizer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone, I was down to the Bonsai Nursery in Dallas last week and I noticed that they had quite a number of Orange trees for sale. I didn't catch the scientific name.

I did some googling plus searched on this site and it doesn't look like they're widely used. Is there a reason for that? Are there drawbacks that make them unpopular?

Are they hard to work with? Are they leaves hard to reduce? The few pictures that I found looked like the leaves were out of proportion to the size of the branches and trunk.

This would be my first bonsai tree.

The nursery also had a number of maples (the ones I liked were out of my price range), quinces, elms, etc. I'm really interested in the deciduous and fruiting trees. Any advice and recommendations are welcome.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I checked my dictionary of common-to-scientific names and quickly found thirteen trees which might be called "orange" trees in some part of the world -- that is aside from the common Citrus.

It is unlikely that anyone can give much help if you don't know at least the Genus. Of all the things you might "catch" about what tree you have, the scientific name is MOST important. I suggest you give the nursery a call.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone, I was down to the Bonsai Nursery in Dallas last week and I noticed that they had quite a number of Orange trees for sale. I didn't catch the scientific name.

I did some googling plus searched on this site and it doesn't look like they're widely used. Is there a reason for that? Are there drawbacks that make them unpopular?

Are they hard to work with? Are they leaves hard to reduce? The few pictures that I found looked like the leaves were out of proportion to the size of the branches and trunk.

This would be my first bonsai tree.

The nursery also had a number of maples (the ones I liked were out of my price range), quinces, elms, etc. I'm really interested in the deciduous and fruiting trees. Any advice and recommendations are welcome.

If you are talking about Orange (citrus)...not finding many bonsai sample is your clue. Being new...stir away from it and try when you are better equipped (if you really want it).

For now, try elm. It will tolerate most of the abuse you can throw it's way. ;)

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
here is a pic of john nakas tree with and without flash

Attachments

• NIKON CAMERA PICS 760.jpg
    NIKON CAMERA PICS 760.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 58
  • NIKON CAMERA PICS 761.jpg
    NIKON CAMERA PICS 761.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 52

the miniaturizer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
here is a pic of john nakas tree with and without flash

Very nice! Besides the low price, the thing that attracts me to them is the contrast that the fruit would give to the leaves. I love that they would stand out that way when they ripen.

But I do want to get something fairly forgiving and easy to work with for my first tree. The guy at the nursery suggested an elm, and now that it's been recommended here I'll probably go that route.

Top Bottom