Bonsai people take weird lunches

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So instead of eating lunch, I went to a Tractor Supply Store and bought two 5 gal Acer Rubrum on clearance for $7 including tax a piece. I'm debating on whether to put them into the 55 gal drum cut off or into the ground because though tall their trunks are thin (3/4" caliper).
In ground or big pot?

Last edited:

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The ground will thicken them faster but I like the mobility of a pot. Then again I prefer smaller trees. I only have a few in the ground. I use pond baskets and grow boxes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell Yes we do!

Come back hungry AF!

I have one in a 4in colander about 4 years. I think (no shit) it has grown 40-60 leaves in that time. 6-10 a year!

Slow!

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've found the spots for them in my yard. I'll put them in the ground for 2 year and 3 months. Then it will be trunk chop time in 2021. By that time the trunk should be around 3.5-4" judging on how things grow around here when fertilized properly. At worst they should be around 2.5". Regardless of size, 2021 they will be chopped! I can live with 2.5".

Any and all plan can be changed at whim by LadyRider. If she likes them in the ground, they will stay in the ground. LOL.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Question: Since I'm putting them into the ground, I'm thinking about putting a large tile under them to keep the roots from going deep. Is that OK or would you guys recommend something else?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The natural progression in this hobby is to buy lots of discount nursery trees, put them in pots or grow beds, futz with them for a number of years and eventually plant most of them permanently in the yard. At least, that is my progression :)

Made lots of mistakes early on - not doing enough root work, not putting movement into trunks, etc. Now I have a lot of too big (for my back), straight trees with not so great roots. Fortunately we have 8 acres of land...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I only have 6 acres so I must make 25% less mistakes.
Oh man this is pressure.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plant them far from the house. They make terrible bonsai. They drop branches, so don’t let them grow over your roof.

Oh. I know what you’re going to say: you’ve seen some great ones. Well, I haven’t. And I’ve been doing bonsai 45 years, and go to shows all over.

I seen some “not bad” ones. I’ve seen lots of “well, I guess I learned my lesson” ones! Lol!!!

My point is: if you are going to spend a lot of time messing with a tree, get a species that has a good track record.

Oh, I know, they were cheap! Doesn’t matter. You can make more money. You can’t make time. We all get some finite amount of time. Some of us get more than others, but if you want more time, you can’t get it. Spend your time wisely. Foolishly spent money is replaceable. Time never is.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Plant them far from the house. They make terrible bonsai. They drop branches, so don’t let them grow over your roof.

Oh. I know what you’re going to say: you’ve seen some great ones. Well, I haven’t. And I’ve been doing bonsai 45 years, and go to shows all over.

I seen some “not bad” ones. I’ve seen lots of “well, I guess I learned my lesson” ones! Lol!!!

My point is: if you are going to spend a lot of time messing with a tree, get a species that has a good track record.

Oh, I know, they were cheap! Doesn’t matter. You can make more money. You can’t make time. We all get some finite amount of time. Some of us get more than others, but if you want more time, you can’t get it. Spend your time wisely. Foolishly spent money is replaceable. Time never is.
Good advise. I need lots of trees in my yard any way so I'll just plant them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So don’t spend all 2 years and 3 months on those 2 trees.
Well. Instead of planting them into the ground, I can also chop their trunks soon for practice. They are dormant now so it will be just like a big pruning event. And for the price of a McDonald lunch I have two maples to play with trunk development. I need practice before getting better bonsai trees.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trunk chops are pretty easy. Not a lot of practice is needed.

What you need is proper guidance. Join a club, take some workshops, sign up for some on-line classes, take Bjorn’s on line class, or Ryan’s program, or rent Boon’s videos. Something to give you some proper direction.

I can sense you have enthusiasm. That’s good. Now, you need some one to properly direct it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Trunk chops are pretty easy. Not a lot of practice is needed.

What you need is proper guidance. Join a club, take some workshops, sign up for some on-line classes, take Bjorn’s on line class, or Ryan’s program, or rent Boon’s videos. Something to give you some proper direction.

I can sense you have enthusiasm. That’s good. Now, you need some one to properly direct it.
I've watched a lot of Ryan's video. He makes sense to me. Some of the biology stuff he speaks is a bit dated but the basic science is solid. Some of his critique videos are very good to me. Haven't seen many of Bjorn's yet but he seems good. Haven't seen Boon's videos so I guess they are next. I'm planning to join the local club next year. I'm no stranger to planting, propagating, pruning of trees in the yard, and have done various type of grafting, air and ground layering etc.. The area I need help with at this moment is trunk forming, wiring, development of ramification and the peculiarity of each species etc.. So your comment on Acer Rubrum not a good species to play with or about the use of colanders is not all that is spot on and make sense to me. I appreciate honest and direct advice. Thanks.

Top Bottom