Bonsai Pepper - Growing Indoors From Seed To Bonchi

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Lately I've been reading about Bonchi (Bonsai Peppers/Chilli) wondering if I could grow them indoors under artificial light. After much research it is advisable to grow the plant to full size outdoors then cut down and bring indoors. Much like bonsai are field grown, they are grown to size outdoors. Since it is fall/winter here in Maine I have started them indoor in 10" pots. Most are already sprouted and some are still in the mail.

This thread will be a place I can journal the progress of these Bonchi.

To start this thread here is a picture of the biggest one so far (Banana Pepper) and an overview. Sorry for the hard water stains in the tent I'll be cleaning it soon.

I hope you enjoy

Attachments

• 100_0709.JPG
    100_0709.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0710.JPG
    100_0710.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 19

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It has now been 8 days and the peppers are sprouting/growing. I've decided to grow 1 of each type of pepper to find out which will be best or if all do well.

The peppers are as follows Sweet Banana, Hugarian Hot Wax, Mini Bell, Pepperoncini, Medusa, Big Jim, and Murasaki. For now I'll just show you the biggest one (Pepperoncini).

Attachments

• 100_0719.JPG
    100_0719.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_0718.JPG
    100_0718.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would think in the long run, the pepper varieties that have smaller peppers, would be more proportioal. Banana, and Hungarian Wax peppers are rather large.

Also look for the more "wild types" for example "Chillie Arbol", the name means "Tree Pepper", it is a wild type native to Mexico desert regions, and has a natural tree like appearance. The 'Pequin' pepper is quite similar to Chillie Arbol.

The types grown in Central and south America are more likely to be longer lived perennial, where the ones developed for northern gardening will likely be more seasonal.

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would think in the long run, the pepper varieties that have smaller peppers, would be more proportioal. Banana, and Hungarian Wax peppers are rather large.

Also look for the more "wild types" for example "Chillie Arbol", the name means "Tree Pepper", it is a wild type native to Mexico desert regions, and has a natural tree like appearance. The 'Pequin' pepper is quite similar to Chillie Arbol.

The types grown in Central and south America are more likely to be longer lived perennial, where the ones developed for northern gardening will likely be more seasonal.

Thanks for the great advise.

Medusa and Mini Bell are smaller peppers. But I do see your point smaller peppers would be more desirable. However the various varieties were picked because they are almost all good for eating. I don't personally like eating peppers but know many people who do and give the peppers away for free. I just like growing them. These plants will be grown fairly large and will produce peppers before cutting back to grow the trunk thickness. In the end it's all an experiment.

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It has now been 10 days since the last pictures and as of today all of the peppers have sprouted.

As a side note I've also planted some heirloom Marigold "Tagets" from seed saved 3 or 4 years ago stored in the freezer. Hopefully to see if it can be bonsai as well.

On to the pictures

The big plant is the Pepperoncini same as last time. Next pic is also Pepperoncini from above. Next is Purple Murasaki showing a beautiful purple color to it's baby leaves. Lastly there is an overview. Hope you enjoy

Attachments

• 100_0720.JPG
    100_0720.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_0721.JPG
    100_0721.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_0722.JPG
    100_0722.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_0723.JPG
    100_0723.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 7

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ah yes, the Chilli Arbol, and the Pequin peppers I have eaten, and used in cooking. They are hot, about twice as hot as a commercial jalapeno. I consider grocery store jalapeno to be the dividing line between mild and medium heat peppers. The Chilli Arbol and the Pequin are similar to the small Thai bird peppers, just not quite as hot as the Thai peppers. Definitely use in moderation if you are not acclimated to "really hot" food. But more so than commercial peppers they are long lived perennials, with woody stems.

The small Thai bird peppers would be another variety to use for bonsai.

The wild types and the types bred for tropical climates, such as the Thai peppers, will tend to be more perennial in their growth habits.

I like fire hot food, at least occasionally. Not every week, but especially if there are complex flavors behind the heat, like in Thai curries, the combination of heat and complex flavors is delightful.

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know this isn't a pepper but I had to try growing it. Below is Spirea Candy Corn. If it survives until spring it will most likely be planted in the apartment shared garden. Almost no one plants anything in the garden besides me planting peppers each summer.100_0725.jpg

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's an update to the peppers. Some of the weaker plants were culled. Only the strongest remain.

Sorry for the quality. As you can see the peppers are starting to flower. Shown below is Hungarian Hot Wax

100_0737.JPG

The 3 bigger ones are flowering now and the smaller ones are still putting on new growth.

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
First up is not a pepper it actually my Candy Corn Spirea. I'm growing it indoors until may when it can go outside to grow into a beautiful flowering bush.

100_0744.JPG

Next is a side view of the Pepperoncini pepper with quite a thick main trunk already

100_0743.JPG

Next is the sweet purple pepper I forgot it's name

100_0742.JPG

Lastly an overview

100_0741.JPG

I just bought a Micro Miniature Rose bush called "Citrine" that will make a beautiful addition to the indoor garden. Also ordered a dwarf everbearing Mulberry to develop into bonsai.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
First up is not a pepper it actually my Candy Corn Spirea. I'm growing it indoors until may when it can go outside to grow into a beautiful flowering bush.

View attachment 347784

Next is a side view of the Pepperoncini pepper with quite a thick main trunk already

View attachment 347785

Next is the sweet purple pepper I forgot it's name

View attachment 347786

Lastly an overview

View attachment 347787

I just bought a Micro Miniature Rose bush called "Citrine" that will make a beautiful addition to the indoor garden. Also ordered a dwarf everbearing Mulberry to develop into bonsai.
Love that Candy Corn Spirea.

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Time for an update.

Some peppers got culled due to being weak or not growing fast enough plus I needed room. Here is whats left.

Pepperoncini

100_0746.JPG

Purple Sweet Pepper

100_0745.JPG

Hungarian Hot Wax Pepper

100_0748.JPG

Banana Pepper

100_0747.JPG

Mini Bell Pepper

100_0749.JPG

Overview

100_0750.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0749.JPG
    100_0749.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looking good!.. I have a Good bit of experience with peppers...
I apologize if these things have been said..

I Keep them small during their indoor period.. I do this, not only because they can take full defoliation ANY time, but also to make “de-flowering” work much easier (which has to be done onLARGER specimens DAILY, if your plants are really healthy)
The deflowering is NOT just to conserve energy and resources.. but also because PEPPERS are “softwood” pest MAGNETS... and their blooms are ESPECIALLY “sought after” in the “pest world”

Also my peppers have separate INDOORS and OUTDOORS soil..
They are biennial.. so you get to choose HOW and when... just keep in mind the kind of climate that EACH pepper is from.. cause they do vary.

Here’s some of my “momentarily smallest” peppers.. and a shot of this year’s seeds!

I can’t wait to see how all your projects go!
28C2704C-5CEF-4F4E-AE41-18E0D01C203A.jpeg6CA33BEC-82C5-4420-A07B-D896F57B5695.jpeg15CB27F3-164E-4D1B-B552-28303A5ADB22.jpegE6839B7F-D26C-4C37-9DC8-EC530EDFF03C.jpeg
(PS.. your “pepper area” looks radical!.. VERY “thought out”.. NICE job!)

rorror

Yamadori
Reaction score
My progress so far, pictures are from sept2020. Its has since been defoliated, cut back, repotted and wired. The 'bonchi' will be two years old next week. Also had a decent harvest of this one.

Attachments

• yivzz0rosil51.jpg
    yivzz0rosil51.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 20
  • l5dccm8osil51.jpg
    l5dccm8osil51.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 21
  • joedqhqnsil51.jpg
    joedqhqnsil51.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 23

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My progress so far, pictures are from sept2020. Its has since been defoliated, cut back, repotted and wired. The 'bonchi' will be two years old next week. Also had a decent harvest of this one.
Fantastic!!!

rorror

Yamadori
Reaction score
Don't forget to wire the seedlings lower stems, before they get to tick and break/snap easy. That way you have some movement in it when you cut it back next winter before bringing it back in.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don't forget to wire the seedlings lower stems, before they get to tick and break/snap easy. That way you have some movement in it when you cut it back next winter before bringing it back in.
Yes! This is also why the few chilis that i decided to bring in FOR these specimens are little stumps.... because LAST year’s peppers weren’t originally grown with “miniaturization” in mind. 🤣

I bet if you consciously work them toward a “tiny tree” goal from the start.. you end up with pretty attractive specimens. (As recently shared)

🤓

Top Bottom