Bonsai photography with iPhone?

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone use an iPhone as their primary photography source? If so, are there any links to some tips or tricks. I would like to start taking better pictures of my trees and am debating buying an actual camera.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
An actual camera takes better low light pics than a phone camera. Use as much light as possible then when using the phone. Use a white or Neely white background in the brightest room in your house. I use the edit function on the phone with good results. I took this with my phone.
20170724_131252.jpg

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very helpful. I typically take my pictures outside with a white background. I think I have probably been suffering from not enough light in the area I am taking the photos.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use both and select the best image once I bring them up on my computer. More often than not my iPhone takes a better picture when I just want to snap a quick image. When I use additional lighting and backgrounds the camera usually wins out.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Outdoor bonsai photography can be very tricky. Contrast is the biggest problem.

I bought a couple plastic poster board sized sheets in white to give a white background, but they never come out quite right. I am thinking about spray painting them with a more matte finish.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought a couple plastic poster board sized sheets in white to give a white background, but they never come out quite right. I am thinking about spray painting them with a more matte finish.
Gray is the best background to use per @barrosinc . He is a professional photographer and I trust everything he says about the subject.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's some trial and error. I find indoors to be a more controllable situation and therefore more reproducible. A good sunny day helps. I use both daylight and cool white bulbs to even out the white balance. Sometimes a few table lamps strategically placed help with spot lighting but the simpler the setup the better.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My Samsung Android phone has a 14 megapixel camera in it and adjusts for low light. It takes way better pictures than my old 10 MP Canon sure shot with zoom lens.

The only thing that probably takes better pics than my phone is a full SLR camera which costs several hundred dollars.

White is too harsh for a background and tends to overwhelm the camera's light sensor with too much light reflecting off it so it closes the aperture and/or reduces the exposure resulting in a picture like the one in the first post.

I try to take my pictures against a uniform background. I use a black felt background if I really want to get fancy. A black background works fine if you have enough light. The picture posted above lacks enough light for it to work. The light is also distant and side directional cresting the dark shadows on one side.

If I am lazy, the redwood stained siding of the house works fine. I try to get bright shaded light or a bright cloudy day rather than direct sunlight which tends to be too harsh.

This picture was taken with my phone and the black felt background in bright shade outside. The tree was also placed well in front of the background so the camera focused on the tree more than the background.
Sept2016.jpg

Last edited:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
my V10 still takes great pictures, and i solely use it for all my bonsai stuff

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Use the zoom feature to fill the frame. It's better to step back a little, than zoom in. It's gives a greater depth.

If you have the iphone 7 Plus, it comes with two lens. One is wide angle, and the other is a telephoto. Switch to the telephoto lens, it acts like the zoom feature, but it's done with optics rather than digitally.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
All I have ever used is my phone. If you really get fancy you can buy a tripod attachment off ebay for under $10 and use a regular camcorder tripod. That's what I do. Don't know about iPhone but android I can take pictures with voice commands so I don't even have to touch it.

They are even selling clip on lenses for phones. I have not used them but they are apparently pretty good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The more megapixels the better for getting great detail in lower light. You may go to darker backgrounds as well with much greater definition. You may want to decide what quality of pictures you desire. If you are after a clear simple pic to document your trees development a cell does fine. You can do the dramatic lighting thing rather well. For higher quality magazine like portraits a good camera is better.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I take everything on my iPhone 7. Sometimes I use HDR, mostly not. I'm never really satisfied with the pics it takes but all I got.
I looked at spending a bit on a good camera but was advised, without going in to DSLR range and spending 400-500, might as well use iPhone..
These pics I did recently, I really like.

IMG_6396.JPG IMG_6397.JPG

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Use the zoom feature to fill the frame. It's better to step back a little, than zoom in. It's gives a greater depth.

If you have the iphone 7 Plus, it comes with two lens. One is wide angle, and the other is a telephoto. Switch to the telephoto lens, it acts like the zoom feature, but it's done with optics rather than digitally.
I would suggest otherwise
Using your legs to move towards or away from the subject will give better results imo

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
The more megapixels the better for getting great detail in lower light. You may go to darker backgrounds as well with much greater definition. You may want to decide what quality of pictures you desire. If you are after a clear simple pic to document your trees development a cell does fine. You can do the dramatic lighting thing rather well. For higher quality magazine like portraits a good camera is better.
ISO is the option you need in lower light mega pixels just allows for larger images when printing. I'm sure I read the eye cannot tell the difference after 5mp

Top Bottom