Bonsai place to see in the Tampa area?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a few hours before my flight out of Tampa FL. What would you suggest?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are a few in Tampa. I can't suggest any as I have not personally been to any of them.

I Googled "Bonsai shop Tampa Florida"
One called "Artisans Bonsai" came up that looks interesting

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Went to Mai Vang Florida at Sarasota. Large wholesale development of Ochna integerrima specifically developed for Vietnamese target buyers. Bot some thing that traditional bonsai people would really like. It is by appointment only. Bot a place to browse and look but not buying at all.

Went to Artisan bonsai. Very friendly folks. Much much smaller place than I thought even though the
“Artisan” name kinda gave the warning. Saw some good but pricy bald cypress. Also saw a good
Tamarindus indica
8721AF4C-11EF-4BD5-800E-51814F2771F8.jpeg
459F53FA-1AB0-45A4-8CD9-279EDE56D9DA.jpeg
93F979EE-ADB1-4D11-A46F-86AC3A17BA1A.jpeg9DFB80DA-52CA-4239-B190-5BBD0B5FD064.jpeg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I was in Florida a couple days ago about an hr away from Maivang, called Maivang to scheduled an appt and told them I will be there around 12pm, showed up at 12pm and the gate was closed, Sang the owner walked toward the closed gate and I told him that I called earlier, he said its 12pm already and its his lunch time so he cant let me in, I told him I came from far away but he still insisting that his lunch time its from 12-2pm and if I want to come in I can come after 12 ( There was never a mention when I called to make the appt that his lunch time was from 12-2pm). I was so pissed because I have bought thousands of dollars with of trees and bonsai from him online the last couple years, he knows who I am and even mentioned my name when he makes YouTube videos to get my attention. Before heading to Maivang I even stopped at the bank to get a couple more thousands to spend there because I wanted to buy some more Desmodium and other bonsai to bring back home. I was beyond furious, worst customer service I have ever encountered, this is no way to treat your fellow Vietnamese loyal customer, if the table was flipped and I was the owner of Maivang....I would have invited him to have lunch with me and a beer or two. Never again I will have anything to do with them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I was in Florida a couple days ago about an hr away from Maivang, called Maivang to scheduled an appt and told them I will be there around 12pm, showed up at 12pm and the gate was closed, Sang the owner walked toward the closed gate and I told him that I called earlier, he said its 12pm already and its his lunch time so he cant let me in, I told him I came from far away but he still insisting that his lunch time its from 12-2pm and if I want to come in I can come after 12 ( There was never a mention when I called to make the appt that his lunch time was from 12-2pm). I was so pissed because I have bought thousands of dollars with of trees and bonsai from him online the last couple years, he knows who I am and even mentioned my name when he makes YouTube videos to get my attention. Before heading to Maivang I even stopped at the bank to get a couple more thousands to spend there because I wanted to buy some more Desmodium and other bonsai to bring back home. I was beyond furious, worst customer service I have ever encountered, this is no way to treat your fellow Vietnamese loyal customer, if the table was flipped and I was the owner of Maivang....I would have invited him to have lunch with me and a beer or two. Never again I will have anything to do with them.
Agree!
I called on the same day and was turned away. I was planning on getting an Ochna integerrima from them and you know it wasn’t going to be cheap.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's beyond sad! Am furious just reading your post. What? lunch time? What? I have bought a few Mai Vang from them. All dead but I will not be buying any from them anymore. Just terrible customer service... left alone you are from far away and fellow Vietnamese. Am not sure how one can do that.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's beyond sad! Am furious just reading your post. What? lunch time? What? I have bought a few Mai Vang from them. All dead but I will not be buying any from them anymore. Just terrible customer service... left alone you are from far away and fellow Vietnamese. Am not sure how one can do that.
Thats why I was so mad, I can understand if I showed yup unannounced you know, but I did call first and confirmed the time. I let him know before I left though..never again. Coi khach hang nhu rac.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
You should give Artisan's a try. He used to buy his trees from Wigerts wholesale and then resell them at retail. In the last year the owner took a partner and they're changing up that practice. We were there once since and there was nobody minding the store. It was a Sat. and he was teaching a class and we could have walked off with anything. He has some nice trees but they go very quickly. So go, but it's not a nursery like most bonsai places in central Fl. Here's a video done on him...Bear in mind these trees are not for sale. They're his.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You should give Artisan's a try. He used to buy his trees from Wigerts wholesale and then resell them at retail. In the last year the owner took a partner and they're changing up that practice. We were there once since and there was nobody minding the store. It was a Sat. and he was teaching a class and we could have walked off with anything. He has some nice trees but they go very quickly. So go, but it's not a nursery like most bonsai places in central Fl. Here's a video done on him...Bear in mind these trees are not for sale. They're his.
His workers that I ran into were super nice.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You were in Tampa area? I would have invited you over to my backyard but there is no bonsai stock huge enough for your taste :D. So how did you enjoy our weather... same as yours?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You were in Tampa area? I would have invited you over to my backyard but there is no bonsai stock huge enough for your taste :D. So how did you enjoy our weather... same as yours?
Same weather. Beautiful beaches.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d love to see wigerts at some point. I’ll be in Cocoa Beach/Merritt island at the end of this week and it turns out American Bonsai is headquartered there. I’m going to pack my tools and see if they will honor their warranty with a sharpening. I’m also hoping they will let me look at there pot selection. It’s a by appointment only situation so we’ll see.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yes ..Went to Wigert last year and they were awesome!
I've only had trees shipped, but they are awesome. If I actually got to visit the nursery, it would be very dangerous to my bank account.

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
Artisans is a good place. They have a good selection and a good collection to oggle. They have classes, and will take trees you f up and nurse them back to health, a service I have used a few times.

I wouldn't try to rip them off though, they are wired out the gazoo with security cameras, only a few of which are visible. He was telling me a few tales of those who tried. 😁

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Artisans is a good place. They have a good selection and a good collection to oggle. They have classes, and will take trees you f up and nurse them back to health, a service I have used a few times.

I wouldn't try to rip them off though, they are wired out the gazoo with security cameras, only a few of which are visible. He was telling me a few tales of those who tried. 😁
I was traveling through on a tight schedule so I didn’t buy anything. As I mentioned before, they were friendly and helpful.

Top Bottom