Bonsai Plaza

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking about ordering a couple of trees (Chinese Juniper and a Deshojo Maple) from Bonsai Plaza (Netherlands) as they look really reasonable even with delivery costs. I'm just worried about them being inside a box for up to 10 days given that we are about to break dromancy. Does anyone think that it would be long term harmful?

Thanks,
Nick

South West UK

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello,

I'm thinking about ordering a couple of trees (Chinese Juniper and a Deshojo Maple) from Bonsai Plaza (Netherlands) as they look really reasonable even with delivery costs. I'm just worried about them being inside a box for up to 10 days given that we are about to break dromancy. Does anyone think that it would be long term harmful?

Thanks,
Nick

South West UK
Greetings, Wanderer!

Rest here on the fertile soils of the riverbank. Dig your roots in, stay a while. The Woody Dwarves (Pa-Is) are filling the goblets now... Ayahuasca and Mescalito punch all 'round, they see the fire in your eyes. (Or EYE.. in my case. ((I only have one good one!))😂)

Glad you found your way here, this place is a wonderfully freaky bazaar of knowledge and experience.. take what you need, share what you can.

That 10 days would most likely break dormancy...

How cold are you in South UK, right now?

How cold are your garages/sheds?

Do you have a window?.. what about grow lights?

More help
can be provided once these questions are answered.

🤓

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,
It's unseasonally warm (and wet) in my part of the UK at the moment, but until March we can still have severe cold weather (-5C) if the wind comes from Russia. I keep most of my trees outside in a shealtered area, but my more expensive buys are in a cold greenhouse (a heater keeps it above 0 degrees C). I have a deshojo that is just breaking into leaf (the ones outside are still dormant). I just shudder at the thought of a maple in leaf being inside a box for 10 days. No grow lights I'm afraid - electricity prices in the UK about to go through the roof!
Nick

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Considering the delays already in logistics across Europe, without considering the closed border between UK and EU, I would be hesitant to have things delivered into the UK

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
Considering the delays already in logistics across Europe, without considering the closed border between UK and EU, I would be hesitant to have things delivered into the UK
Thanks for confirming. I might wait until next winter!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Jelle ( @leatherback knows about this, so trust his judgement)

What I will add.. it sounds like things are "waking up" by you anyways..

I JUST had a low of 0F last Night (that's seasonably warm ;) ) And just had my first day ABOVE 0C 😂..

Plants here are still
quite dormant.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't even know if importing live plants from the EU is still allowed without phytosanitation papers. See https://www.rhs.org.uk/prevention-protection/importing-and-exporting-plants
There are just a hand full of companies in the netherlands that actually have such paperwork in place.

11 days in transport, means about 3 days in storage (at room temp) and the rest of the time in an unheated truck. So I guess it wouldn't matter much.

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't even know if importing live plants from the EU is still allowed without phytosanitation papers. See https://www.rhs.org.uk/prevention-protection/importing-and-exporting-plants
There are just a hand full of companies in the netherlands that actually have such paperwork in place.

11 days in transport, means about 3 days in storage (at room temp) and the rest of the time in an unheated truck. So I guess it wouldn't matter much.
Good point. I assumed we were still under equivelence rules, but it looks like that has lapsed.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have very good experiences with Bonsai Plaza. But that is not really the topic you want to discuss. I thought that the UK wouldn't allow in any plants from the EU. Even with a phytosanitary certififate.

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
I have very good experiences with Bonsai Plaza. But that is not really the topic you want to discuss. I thought that the UK wouldn't allow in any plants from the EU. Even with a phytosanitary certififate.
Looking at the regulations and websites, it seems that plants are allowed in, but the paperwork involved would be out of reach of individuals.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have purchased from bonsai plaza a couple for times during the summer into France and the soil is always nicely wrapped in plastic wrap to keep the moisture in. The boxes usually take 4-5 days to arrive. I would think if allowed into UK, deciduous trees would happily survive 10 days without sunlight when dormant during winter. Not sure about the juniper though.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Plaza does offer shipping to the UK on their website. I would just contact them instead of working hypotheticals here on bnut. Bonsai Plaza is run by a professional in the field. He will know the consequences & delivery times. He has held trees for me in the past because shipping was suboptimal.

1644820748269.png

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
Bonsai Plaza does offer shipping to the UK on their website. I would just contact them instead of working hypotheticals here on bnut. Bonsai Plaza is run by a professional in the field. He will know the consequences & delivery times. He has held trees for me in the past because shipping was suboptimal.

View attachment 420431
Thanks. Yes, I have contacted them, but yet to recieve a reply.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Because the UK isn't part of the EU anymore you may be charged with import duties and/or other taxes if you buy stuff from the EU.
This is something to consider when comparing prices between the UK and the EU.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Before Brexit the UK was part of the "Schengen" countries.
The Schengen area covers 26 countries ("Schengen States") without border controls between them.
See the map below for the current countries.

schengen_map.jpg

Top Bottom