Bonsai/ pre- bonsai tree swap

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So, Mr. Fray and I have been talking about doing a little swap of some Elm cuttings we made last year and it got me thinking... Why don't people do more of this? Is it a lack of trust or something? Obviously I am not planning to swap $1,000+ trees with someone I do not know over the Internet ... But this might be a good way to get new material without a lot of expense!

Here is the thought process for me- I make cuttings/ layers/ seedlings... Like CONSTANTLY. I call it a propagation addiction! Obviously though, I can only really make cuttings of trees I own! (Lest I don the Ninja outfit and go snipe my neighbor's Crab apple...) so I wind up with a bunch of "baby" Maples, Elms, Juniper... Species I already own... And I have always had an interest in acquiring as many species as possible! So, Mr Fray and I worked it out where I will send him an Elm species he does not have and he will send me an Elm I do not have yet... Each pays only the shipping- even deal! We are only out of pocket the cost of shipping!

I would like to open this option up a little wider- I have Japanese Quince (I think it was labeled "Toyo Noshiki" but I bought it from Lowes... So who know REALLY, but it is a gorgeous, vibrant red blooming species that seems to have a nice, fine growth habit suitable for Bonsai, trunks up pretty fast, makes nice clumps... I made a bunch of cuttings last year, can post pics if anyone is interested...

I also have a nice variety of Pyracantha/ Fire thorn... Pretty easy to compact leaves, fast growing, blooms white of course with vibrant red/ orange berries... Made a bunch of cuttings last year- roots pouring out the bottom of the pot..

I could probably part with a small Trident Maple or two as well...

Have an almost endless supply of Acer Rubrum of various sizes/ ages if anyone wants to work with local species...

Shimpaku Juniper- limited supply, and small but well rooted and ready to move. Will be making a bunch more this year as I prune out a big bushy one!

Seargent Juniper- the more course close cousin of Shimpaku.. Make nice larger trees, the cuttings are well rooted but pretty small..

Crepe Myrtle- limited supply of a small leafed variety I found at an old nursery last year! It was in the "75% off, been here so long the tag was faded to white" pile... But I loved the growth habit for Bonsai.. Small cuttings...

satsuki Azaleas- Chinzan and Gunpo varieties. Mostly pink blooming, a couple whites, but until they bloom I will honestly not know which it is! The damn writing on the cups washed off after I labeled them! These are slightly larger cuttings... I have three Chinzan separated and ready to ship- all pink bloomers, I feel confident on those three!

So.. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can get some pics of the trees you want to look at!

What I am looking for-

Crab Apple, young stock obviously- again, we are talking trading cuttings right now! Not, massive, old bonsai! I mean, if you want to bundle and get a couple trees from me for one larger one or something, we can talk... I am not trying to get something for nothing, just thought this might be an easy way to trade and find species I haven't found easy to locate in my area.

JWP, JBP, SCOTTS PINE... NOt super interested in Mugo (sorry Vance!) I have heard they don't grow well around here and the growth habit is a little strange to me visually.. I will take BABY trees in exchange for cuttings.., plan on growing them out any way!

Chojubai. Not just "regular" Japanese quince.. I have found affordable Chojubai difficult to find, and prefer the red blooming ones. They seem to be such slow growing little buggers I am not sure I will love the tree when I get one so I am reluctant to spend loads of money on them, might prefer the trade route to get a little one to play with!

Always interested in adding cultivars of maple I do not own! Amur is one I do not own currently... I have multiple JM, but if you have a variety I don't- I WANT IT! Autopurperum, Chisoho, koto hime... Those are a few I do not own currently and would be interested in. Would swap a trident or a "regular" JM seedling for any of those... Or any tree above obviously...

Chinese Quince... I can probably get some of these locally, but if anybody has some to get rid of, we can work something out...

That is most of what I can think of right now, but if you have an intriguing offer, let me know! This is a little swap meet, so let's get some activity and get some tree relocated to appreciative homes! I think it could be done on a small scale with trusting individuals where we make an Internet deal/ electronic handshake and I send your tree, you send me one and we don't even have to exchange money! Working with small trees/ seedlings and cutting, shipping should be cheap and the risk of loss is low if someone flakes and doesn't live up to their end of the bargain!

Just an idea... A different way to get trees I guess... And maybe a way to turn some material I have many of into new species I don't own yet!

Let's make a deal!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the idea!

If I get an Amur cutting to root, or a lil one to dig for ya (constant access to where I got mine), I'd swap you for a Trident!

It would be nice if anyone who regularly ships cuttings, to write a bit on how and when!
Last thing I want is to send you a DOA!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be taking cuttings from my trees for this venture also.
Chinese elm: Seiju, Cork bark and regular.
Zelcova
Amur maple
Juniper:Shimpaku,Parsons,San Jose and procumbens
Kingsville boxwood
Maybe some seedlings.
Siberian elm and American elm
Tamarack.
Jack pine
Maybe Scotch pine.
White Spruce
This all depends on what made it through the winter. I think this is an awesome idea. Can't take credit for it though.
This is all Eric's idea. Good one too I think.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the idea!

If I get an Amur cutting to root, or a lil one to dig for ya (constant access to where I got mine), I'd swap you for a Trident!

It would be nice if anyone who regularly ships cuttings, to write a bit on how and when!
Last thing I want is to send you a DOA!

Sorce
Thanks Sorce! If you find a little Amur seedling, that would be great! I think the best way to ship these guys is to send them in little plastic bulb/ seedling pots wrapped in plastic wrap to keep the dirt in. You can wire them to the bottom of a box, and make sure it is tall enough to not damage the tree when you close it of course... Some people fill with styrofoam pnuts or something comparable, but for such small trees they are pretty pliable.. Probably won't be easily damaged unless Ace Ventura is delivering the package!

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I too like this idea. I plan on working on some Sango Kaku (coral bark maples) this season. I will post back here with a progress report and if successful look to barter.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good idea. I would like to grow about 36 'Toyo Nishiki' quince cuttings this year. I have some root cuttings read y, about 4 right now. I have Japanese red pine seedlings started; not ready. Will see how they fare later; just like bean sprouts right now. I have 1 Amur maple cutting from last year; just starting to leaf out. Will grow more just in case I need them for thread grafts and in case there's interest in them somewhere. I have an Acer japonicum that's just starting to leaf out. I don't know what kind it is, but it has large leaf and amazing fall color. I'll post pictures later.

I'm planning to grow the following:
Japanese Red Pine seedlings
Japanese Quince 'Toyo Nishiki' cuttings (4)*

Amur Maple cuttings (1)*
Trident Maple cuttings

Acer Japonicum airlayer (1)

I am interested in the following:
Japanese Quince 'Chojubai' red or white rooted cuttings
Chinese quince rooted cuttings
Ume rooted cuttings (Would like the red or pink flowers)
Shimpaku, Itoigawa, or Kishu

Last edited:

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is a great idea. I only wish I had more trees to trade. I will keep this in mind for next spring when this years cuttings are ready to go.
Thanks Eric for this post. It gives the forum a local club feel.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a great idea. I only wish I had more trees to trade. I will keep this in mind for next spring when this years cuttings are ready to go.
Thanks Eric for this post. It gives the forum a local club feel.
Exactly! It is a little more of a chore sending them to each other than just trading them in person, but I figure this will give people access to trees and making connections they would not otherwise have been able to get...

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good idea. I would like to grow about 36 'Toyo Nishiki' quince cuttings this year. I have some root cuttings read y, about 4 right now. I have Japanese red pine seedlings started; not ready. Will see how they fare later; just like bean sprouts right now. I have 1 Amur maple cutting from last year; just starting to leaf out. Will grow more just in case I need them for thread grafts and in case there's interest in them somewhere. I have an Acer japonicum that's just starting to leaf out. I don't know what kind it is, but it has large leaf and amazing fall color. I'll post pictures later.

I'm planning to grow the following:
Japanese Red Pine seedlings
Japanese Quince 'Toyo Nishiki' cuttings (4)*

Amur Maple cuttings (1)*
Trident Maple cuttings

Acer Japonicum airlayer (1)

I am interested in the following:
Japanese Quince 'Chojubai' red or white rooted cuttings
Chinese quince rooted cuttings
Ume rooted cuttings (Would like the red or pink flowers)
Shimpaku, Itoigawa, or Kishu
I'd sure love to trade you a Shimpaku for a Red pine seedling! If you are down and they get to a point you think you could ship one, let me know and we can exchange some pics to find a suitable trade!

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
i have some 1-year old JRP and JBP seedlings I could trade with. I will probably be potting them up individually this spring but could spare a couple. Maybe for some ume cuttings, or chojubi.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is an example of one of the Satsuki cuttings I have up for trade- pot is slam full of roots, has a ltitle trunk but small enough to bend however you would like... Suvived out mild winters outside most the year with no protection and hasn't shown a bit of stress from it:

This is my little Arakawa JM- finally got one! Not up for trade... Just excited it is finally leafing out! :)

I was not real excited by the Shimpaku cuttings I have left- most are quite small. Perhaps they will take off this year, I know there are loads of roots in there! I have more than this, but I have wire on most of them and/or have wired them together to make gnarly twisted little Frankenstein trees!

Like this:

This is one of the Jackie Hiller Elm cuttings I made last year.. Probably the best of the bunch for a single trunk style.. Made about 4-5 more you can see another tiny little shimpaku and Azalea cutting in a pot behind this one.. :

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm still learning propagation and stuff, so i don't need a wider range of species which can get killed by me.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great idea Eric. I will have to see what I have to offer. I also have to learn to get better at propagating from cutting!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm still learning propagation and stuff, so i don't need a wider range of species which can get killed by me.

You can never kill too many trees. The key is to not kill them the same way twice. Eventually you start running out of new ways to kill them, and that means you're getting better!

Top Bottom