Bonsai quotes

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Who let all the poors into this hobby? lol. Here's to the kinder, gentler Al... View attachment 201535
Bonsai is expensive.

When the economy crashed in 2007, I began buying ancient Roman and Greek coins. I bought lots and lots of them never paying much more than ten or fifteen bucks a piece for them. Now Trumps President , the economy is rolling, lowest unemployment in decades and I can't touch those coins with a ten foot pole. I have about 7 Pontius Pilate coins that I paid about 7 to 12 bucks a piece for. They now regularly "sell" not list on ebay for 120.00 to 150.00 a coin.

If I were to start collecting ancients today I couldn't do it. I would be buying the shit that is so worn you can't read it or see any detail. I would be bringing up the rear as a collector. I had it appraised last year when my wife died for insurance purposes and it is now worth about $12,00.00 dollars. Not bad for a couple thousand investment.

So apply that same thing to bonsai. If your budget is 20.00 for a tree, or your buying your deadwood tools at harbor freight and complaining about 40.00 for a quality tool, then yea maybe you don't have the money to do it correctly. Does one have to do it correctly from say a guys point of view that makes a 150,000.00 a year?

Hell no you don't, Do it for what you can afford and be satisfied with that. BUT, don't make snide comments about someone who doesn't see it the same way because they can afford how to do it better. Maybe send that guy a PM and ask what he might recommend on how one can save some money or what to look for in plant material, like buying cheap and taking out the best part. I see guys post shit on here all the time wasting their time trying to polish a turd when the best tree is sitting right in the middle or off to one side. I've seen enough twin trunk losers and half ass windswepts that I taste a little throwup in my mouth....

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most every hobby is better if you have money. Doesn't mean folks who are less wealthy can't participate. I have no delusions of grandeur. I doubt I'll ever make a tree worthy of you top level guys. But I'll have fun trying. :)

At least, unless mean folks take the fun out of it.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, then, back to quotes.....
"Money can't buy happiness--but it can rent thrills."--me.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
"I don't have hobbies; hobbies cost money. Interests are quite free."
-George Carlin

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
"If you can't find the front, instead find the back and rotate it 180 degrees." --John Naka

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bonsai is expensive.

When the economy crashed in 2007, I began buying ancient Roman and Greek coins. I bought lots and lots of them never paying much more than ten or fifteen bucks a piece for them. Now Trumps President , the economy is rolling, lowest unemployment in decades and I can't touch those coins with a ten foot pole. I have about 7 Pontius Pilate coins that I paid about 7 to 12 bucks a piece for. They now regularly "sell" not list on ebay for 120.00 to 150.00 a coin.

If I were to start collecting ancients today I couldn't do it. I would be buying the shit that is so worn you can't read it or see any detail. I would be bringing up the rear as a collector. I had it appraised last year when my wife died for insurance purposes and it is now worth about $12,00.00 dollars. Not bad for a couple thousand investment.

So apply that same thing to bonsai. If your budget is 20.00 for a tree, or your buying your deadwood tools at harbor freight and complaining about 40.00 for a quality tool, then yea maybe you don't have the money to do it correctly. Does one have to do it correctly from say a guys point of view that makes a 150,000.00 a year?

Hell no you don't, Do it for what you can afford and be satisfied with that. BUT, don't make snide comments about someone who doesn't see it the same way because they can afford how to do it better. Maybe send that guy a PM and ask what he might recommend on how one can save some money or what to look for in plant material, like buying cheap and taking out the best part. I see guys post shit on here all the time wasting their time trying to polish a turd when the best tree is sitting right in the middle or off to one side. I've seen enough twin trunk losers and half ass windswepts that I taste a little throwup in my mouth....

Money shouldn't be an issue but having deep pockets will certainly help to get higher quality material faster. One could easily propagate & develop basic trees that can be sold to generate funds. Elms, cotoneaster, hedge honeysuckle and a few others can be sold at fairs or Ebay. Just make sure you do a few every year to keep funds flowing. Those trees can also be used to improve wiring, pruning & styling too - win / win. Bananaman's real name is Eric Wimp btw...

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
“He said what could I tell him that would improve his collection. I told him to get a better job!” - Smoke ala BonsaiNut circa 2018

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
“It doesn’t matter how great the art is if the artist is an asshole. I’ll pass.” -unknown

It wasn’t said in the context of bonsai, specifically, but I think it’s widely applicable beyond the original context (fine art). Unfortunately, I don’t recall the name of the gallerist who said it.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I post this paraphrasing occasionally although both it and its author have been maligned recently. Whatever.

A bonsai should look like a tree in nature, only better. - Dan Barton

Cuz I drive by many many natural trees each day, only one or two of which I would use as models. Most are quite ugly in reality.

And for the record, I disagree that you need a lot of money to do bonsai “right”, which apparently means “like Al”. He is like a dog w a bone w that shit. But this thread isn’t about that.

Top Bottom