Bonsai Related Health Risks: Things to do and not to do

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Ok ok that was actually pretty funny I am being a namby pamby.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The guy who died as a result of sporotochosis was Brian Batchelder. He died after becoming infected with the inhaled version of the disease, if I remember right. That form is apparently very rare. Batchelder used long-fibered sphagnum moss exclusively and termed his work "New Horizons in bonsai." He had a PBS TV series showing his techniques. It used to run here in the DC area on the public television stations back in the early 90's.

He contracted the disease after using the moss for years. There's some danger in using the stuff, but it's hardly a hazardous material if you're not exposing yourself constantly. The most danger comes from getting the skin infection from cuts. Simply using gloves to work with it will prevent that.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The guy who died as a result of sporotochosis was Brian Batchelder. He died after becoming infected with the inhaled version of the disease, if I remember right. That form is apparently very rare. Batchelder used long-fibered sphagnum moss exclusively and termed his work "New Horizons in bonsai." He had a PBS TV series showing his techniques. It used to run here in the DC area on the public television stations back in the early 90's.

He contracted the disease after using the moss for years. There's some danger in using the stuff, but it's hardly a hazardous material if you're not exposing yourself constantly. The most danger comes from getting the skin infection from cuts. Simply using gloves to work with it will prevent that.

What Mark said. For the record, you are much more likely to be exposed to biological pathogens (fungal or otherwise) working in your yard/garden then working with your bonsai. If you aren't immunocompromised and use common sense (using gloves or mask as needed, wash your hands like mom taught you, etc) I wouldn't worry too much.

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Honesty: Telling your spouse the amount you just spent on a tree or pot.

I couldn't agree with you more :D :D ..

In fact, over the last few days, I had to order few new pots, tools, soil, and plants. I tried smuggling them in somehow but nothing misses her eyes, so I'm in a tough situation here :(:eek:

All she gives me these days are cold stares and very matter of fact speech ... NOW if you are talking of Risk, I know what you mean ;):D

On a serious note though, if anybody uses "Rock Dust" in their Bonsai mix, definitely take the same measure as you would do for rooting hormone (wear a face musk)

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Another health risk that no one has considered is the danger we pose to ourselves, passengers and other drivers as we swerve across lanes. The road is never as interesting as the potential bonsai that you can spot.

Kathy Shaner once suggested to me that bonsai enthusiasts should have caution bumper stickers to warn other drivers.

Kirk

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Yenling, I'll bet you didn't think this thread would turn into so much fun when you started it, did you? And we're getting some good info/ideas/cautions, too.

(I love the swerving risk! Tom Brown once mentioned that he almost ran off the interstate, on his way to IN, eyeballing a roadside pine with great potential. I may need one of those stickers myself!)

Two things I haven't yet seen mentioned are toxicity and allergies.

Juniper sawdust is toxic to humans, according to Larry Ragle. (May just be some species, I'm not sure.) All parts of a yew, except the flesh of the aril, are toxic to humans. You don't want to get the sap on your fingers and then touch your tongue! Been there, done that.

Allergies of course are usually individual, and may develop over time. I no longer keep junipers, except the shimpaku I bought when my daughter was born: I have become allergic to them. (Just glad it's not a pine allergy -- then I'd be thoroughly bummed!)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Goodness! Reading this maybe I need my haz-mat suit back.

May I suggest that you apply lime sulfur with a brush; then you don't have to worry about aerosol mist. (I have found nothing anywhere but in rumor spread on bonsai sites any info on LS being banned anywhere -- tho since I no longer live near California, I don't really care.)

Pearlite dust doesn't exist if you don't use Pearlite -- and in 40+ years of bonsai I've somehow managed to not use it.

The risks from sphagnum moss are miniscule to vanishing if you use it when you have no cuts on your hands, and damned slim otherwise.

When you sift Turface and other soil, sit upwind so the dust blows away from you.

JKL, it's not often anymore that we agree on things, but you are right on target here, as well as your comment about the wife factor. It must be a generational thing: I grew up long before society started scaring people that every last little thing in life was dangerous. Sure, reasonable precautions are reasonable, but I can't imagine how terrifying and limiting it must be to live life worried about every little thing.

One maxim that guided my life came from one of my childhood heroes, Sgt Maj Dan Daly

"Posted on November 10, 2010 by mcns"

Badass:

Daly’s greatest moment in World War I came during the intense fighting at the Battle of Belleau Wood. Daly’s Marines…were outnumbered two-to-one, outgunned …They had been pinned down for hours by a non-stop hail of artillery and gunfire, and things were looking bleak as hell for our boys.

Well all of a sudden, just as things were looking hopeless, a lone figure jumped up onto the earthworks the American Marines had been using for cover. Sergeant Dan Daly looked down the line, clutched his rifle and shouted, “Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” before charging out to meet the enemy…

On 26 June 1917 the U.S. High Command in France received the following telegram:

“Woods now U.S. Marine Corps entirely.”

For his actions in the Belleau Wood, Daly received the Navy Cross and the French Croix de Guerre. For actions in the Boxer Rebellion and in Haiti he twice won the Congressional Medal of Honor:

The first Medal of Honor winner was Irish born and 257 of the recipients of America’s highest military honor were born in Ireland. Nineteen fighting men have been double winners of the Medal, eight being Irish-born or Irish-American. One of those Irish-American double winners of the Medal of Honor [was] the indomitable Marine, Dan Daly.

Daniel J. Daly was born on November 11, 1873, in Glen Cove, NY. He earned his first “combat medals” in New York City by whipping rival newsboys for the best corners and at the age of twelve became a semipro boxer in sports clubs while still selling papers. He enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps on January 10, 1899. Raymond T. Tassin’s chapter on Daly in his book “Double Winners of the Medal of Honor” describes Daly as a man “with jutting chin and flint eyes, he stood five-feet six inches and 130 pounds of rompin’, stompin’, destruction.”

Something, somewhere will kill me some day, but I doubt it'll be sphagnum moss or lime sulfur, and frankly I wouldn't care if it was.

Attachments

• daly.jpg
    daly.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 21

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
RIP
Dateline, Seattle, Washington 1/8/11

Grouper52 was found dead yesterday when it was discovered that a huge box of books titled "Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees" fell from a top shelf in his garage. It was discovered that this was the last box of books used to fill the last few orders. It was said there was a hint of a smile to be seen on his lifeless face.

In lieu of flowers donations to the "Bonsaial Bonsai Procurement Fund" would be appreciated.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
RIP

Grouper52 was found dead yesterday when it was discovered that a huge box of books titled "Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees" fell from a top shelf in his garage. It was discovered that this was the last box of books used to fill the last few orders. It was said there was a hint of a smile to be seen on his lifeless face.

In lieu of flowers donations to the "Bonsaial Bonsai Procurement Fund" would be appreciated.

That's funny fertilizer Big Al.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Someone try to steal mine could get ya kilt !!

Keep it green,
Harry

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
RIP

:D:D:D :D:D:D

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated, Al - though my wife might disagree.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Uhh oh....you are now under the curse of the Will....the other Will...not you Will

To paraphrase Gene Hackman in The Unforgiven:

"Hell, I even thought I was dead, until I realized I was just being mistaken for the other Will."

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personal experience - a heavy tree will result in a hernia one or other time. Use the correct technique and/or lifting and transport devices even if you are very strong.

That is the main reason I switched over to shohin sized trees. Picken up those big ones gave me the feelin I was gonna rip somethin:eek:

Attachments

• al thong.jpg
    al thong.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 69

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To paraphrase Gene Hackman in The Unforgiven:

"Hell, I even thought I was dead, until I realized I was just being mistaken for the other Will."

"Deservin's gots nothin' to do with it."

P.S. Lovin' the thong.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
P.S. Lovin' the thong.

oH NO, it's the Infamous pink thong, Ug, was thinking maybe that jpg got lost in a pc crash somewhere.:D

:eek: Thats why he's feeling a ripping, it's 2 sizes too small, wonder if it's because it was discovered in the glove box.:D

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Yea, thanks for that image. Now you just need a men's tramp stamp.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
For any expression, it seems that most languages can say it adequately, and then there is one language that manages to nail it. I think the Germans take the linguistic prize this time! :D

As for the visual -- no comment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom