Bonsai Resources

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Hi, @Smoke posted some examples of works by Kimura on another thread and I just wondered where I can find more master bonsai works. Who are generally thought be the cream of the crop at creating Bonsai and where can I find examples of their work?

To my eye all the trees Smoke posted looked like Junipers with large amounts of gnarly deadwood and a small amount of foliage by comparison. Beautiful trees, undoubtedly, but not at all like anything I would find anywhere near me in nature. I live in the greenest of British countryside with strong deciduous Oak and Ash trees and hedges full of Hawthorn and Blackthorn, along with the usual suspects of Maple, Sycamore and Elm, with odd Beech and Hornbeam thrown in. This is where I am likely to find most of my inspiration for what can be achieved, so who should I be looking to inspire me?

Equally, I would love to know some of the Japanese and Chinese masters that inspired people in the west in the first place and the people continuing to do so now.

Thanks folks.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here are a few collections, artists and blogs specializing in trees that should grow in your area to get you started.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, @Smoke posted some examples of works by Kimura on another thread and I just wondered where I can find more master bonsai works. Who are generally thought be the cream of the crop at creating Bonsai and where can I find examples of their work?

To my eye all the trees Smoke posted looked like Junipers with large amounts of gnarly deadwood and a small amount of foliage by comparison. Beautiful trees, undoubtedly, but not at all like anything I would find anywhere near me in nature. I live in the greenest of British countryside with strong deciduous Oak and Ash trees and hedges full of Hawthorn and Blackthorn, along with the usual suspects of Maple, Sycamore and Elm, with odd Beech and Hornbeam thrown in. This is where I am likely to find most of my inspiration for what can be achieved, so who should I be looking to inspire me?

Equally, I would love to know some of the Japanese and Chinese masters that inspired people in the west in the first place and the people continuing to do so now.

Thanks folks.
Your best bet for the type of trees you mention is to look at the Blog of Walter Pall. Just google Walter Pall. Many places to find info. One of the things that is nice is Mr. Pall is not skimpy with the pictures. In fact you will probably see his trees from 50 different angles under all kinds of light and in all four seasons. But he is a gold mine of deciduous trees. Probably the most on the net. While most of the Japanese masters you will find like Kimura, Kobayashi, Suzuki and the like all favor conifers.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you very much guys. Please continue to add names and links if you think of anybody for the beginner to indulge in, everybody.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
following from what others have said, i would also suggest checking out Sandevbonsai on youtube and google or facebook Andrija zokic, Marija hajdic. Maros belan on here and on his blog.

kouyou

Sapling
Reaction score
Please continue to add names and links if you think of anybody for the beginner to indulge in

in november, january, and february, people begin sharing albums of pictures on facebook of taikan, gafu and kokofu. for me, this is the most exciting time of year for indulging in photos.

if you have not already, start following Omiya on facebook. They share quite a bit themselves, and this will lead you exponentially to other great accounts

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Would that I could, Kouyou. I’m not on faceache, never will be. My girlfriend and I started talking about an alternative to cling film (or shrink wrap or whatever it’s called internationally) then lo and behold! It appeared as adverts on her facebook account just a few minutes after. Not exactly a common product to be advertised. No searching, ‘hey Siri’ or similar rubbish and that’s not an isolated incident either. Too many people with too much power to deceive know too much about us for my liking.

Anyway... I shall have to miss out on that one but thank you regardless. Saying that, there’s a good few links on t’internet for them so the rabbit hole ain’t closed yet!

Nice one Bobby too. I’m off to grab my tin foil hat!

kouyou

Sapling
Reaction score
I’m not on faceache, never will be. My girlfriend and I started talking about an alternative to cling film (or shrink wrap or whatever it’s called internationally) then lo and behold! It appeared as adverts on her facebook account just a few minutes after

not to get too far off topic, but you think that software learning from your conversations is somehow threatening, and presumably more threatening than software learning from your clicks and the words you type online? Do you use credit cards? debit cards? GPS on your phone?

when it comes to surveillance, I agree with Zizek's that we should take a stance of arrogance 'i hope people are secretly listening to my conversations, maybe they will learn something about Hegel's dialectic'

i'm not trying to persuade you to use facebook, of course. the loss is completely your own. the bonsai community on facebook is strong, and it provides an infinite access to resources (pots, tools, plant material, and so on.)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Would that I could, Kouyou. I’m not on faceache, never will be. My girlfriend and I started talking about an alternative to cling film (or shrink wrap or whatever it’s called internationally) then lo and behold! It appeared as adverts on her facebook account just a few minutes after. Not exactly a common product to be advertised. No searching, ‘hey Siri’ or similar rubbish and that’s not an isolated incident either. Too many people with too much power to deceive know too much about us for my liking.

Anyway... I shall have to miss out on that one but thank you regardless. Saying that, there’s a good few links on t’internet for them so the rabbit hole ain’t closed yet!

Nice one Bobby too. I’m off to grab my tin foil hat!

yeh ive heard of this happening, happened to me too. you can turn off your PC microphone, ive read somewhere the mic can pick up key words.... funnily enough i always have the camera lens on my laptop covered with cut paste, never know who could be watching haha. i only really use face book for news feeds, bonsai resources whatever, dont share pics on there anymore, think i only have one single pic open to viewing. but yeh as someone said, its great for bonsai stuff. i can literally punch hornbeam in the search and tons of images would come up

Top Bottom