Bonsai: Roots disconnected from tree. Help.

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
Hey guys!
So I got a Mini Schefflera a few months ago and I’ve had to cure it of mildew (some spray I got from the store). I’ve noticed that it has been living still but the leaves have been wilty (new growth keeps appearing).
I placed it in some water today for about 20mins and got to thinking that something with it’s roots MAY be the cause of the wilting leaves? I’ve heard things about root rot and such but I don’t know much about these trees in general.
I detached the pot from the tree (with all of the dirt/root and everything attached) to take a look at it and then about 2/3 of the roots/dirt fell off in one big clump. So now the tree doesn’t have much of it’s base to it.

I realize this probably wasn’t one of my most intelligent ideas.

Is this a big issue?
Will it die and is there anything I can do to make the situation better?

Thanks in advance.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is this a big issue? Will it die and is there anything I can do to make the situation better?

Toss out what fell off and repot it in fresh free draining mix. No idea where you hail from but it does not make a difference being an emergency repotting. I will most likely drop a lot of older leaf and produce new.
It would help us to help you if you update your profile so it shows a basic location - different methods on many plants so time of year is important where you are :)

Grimmy

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
Okay. Thanks.
I updated my information a bit too.
I have a mixture of potting soil, pea gravel and sand that I used to plant my sago palm. It drains well. That will work?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Okay. Thanks.
I updated my information a bit too.
I have a mixture of potting soil, pea gravel and sand that I used to plant my sago palm. It drains well. That will work?

Thank you, and yes it should be just fine with it - they are far from fussy - they as other plants just need good draining ;)

Grimmy

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
Alright! All is done.
Thanks again for the help.
I’ve added some pics (if it may be helpful to anyone or myself in the future)

We will see what happens!

Attachments

• E8546313-4763-4B0F-AAC4-147917FB541B.jpeg
    E8546313-4763-4B0F-AAC4-147917FB541B.jpeg
    559.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 7DEB8C54-B2EF-4BCB-9664-755CF92DED28.jpeg
    7DEB8C54-B2EF-4BCB-9664-755CF92DED28.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 113

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just in time!

Nice Lil trunk!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You should be fine for now. The photo of the roots definitely indicates root rot. Be careful not to keep the soil constantly soaking wet. Let it dry out a little between waterings. BTW, the pebbles seem a little large compared to the rest of the soil. They are not serving any useful function. They don't hurt either, so if you like their appearance, that's just fine, but the space they take up in the pot could probably be better used by the other soil. Keep in mind you have a rather water-retentive soil in the potting soil, and if the sand is relatively fine, as opposed to coarse, it will tend to hold water as well. Be careful!
Oliver

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
kept too wet, roots have rotted. keep on the dry side unless it's summer and out in the sun. It will be ok with well draining substrate and proper watering.

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
Good to know! I will water it less. This mixture drains much better than it was originally planted in.

Floridays

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Fun little tree!

The Schefflera's are pretty forgiving but definitely want a well drained soil, it should recover nicely though.

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
C4351154-F8F9-4D0A-8FF4-94A7D75C1A0C.jpeg image.jpg Update on the Schefflera:

I put a tad bit of regular potting soil at the top of the other soil mixture just because I felt as if it needed to be covered more.

I leave it in a western window and it’s been getting colder here (70’s during the day and 40/50’s at night). We do not have any north/south windows.

Watering has been done by leaving it in the sink for some time to fill the soil with water then placed back in window. I wait until the soil is most certainly dry now.

I’ve noticed the leaves are turning more wilty and brown.

I used to give it some fertilizer once a month but stopped because it was getting colder.

I’m sure that I’m doing something wrong but what?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of heating?

Sorce

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
image.jpg Alright.
So I’ve pretty much reached a dead end.
The tree is slowly dying from the top and I don’t know what else to do.
I’ll wait until it’s completely dead to throw it out (maybe there is hope...?)

Thanks for everyone’s help.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think your soil mix looks too wet.
The basic idea is to have a "free draining mix that stays moist, not wet".... in my experience, organic material is my enemy.
My substrate is all inorganic, and porous....so water goes in, the porous substrate soaks up water like a sponge, and all the excess water runs right out the drain holes...

Haydite, Lava, Diotomaceous Earth, Pumice, Turface....

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
I watered it right before I took the picture.

Good advice tho.
I just repotted not too long ago.
Not sure how big of a problem the soil is though. I’m getting different answers about that one.

You think it would just be better to leave it alone or should I change the soil again in hopes it’ll recover better?

If option two, I assume a mixture of some of those?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm still nailing down the "too wet" thing myself. Im a pine lover so there's not much room for error. you'll be surprised how well things like lava rock hold water below the surface.

Also... i don't mean to be rude at all, only trying to be helpful. Your tree is cool, but that price tag is alarming. I know buying trees in person is king but if you spent that much on a prebonsai on ebay I think you'd get a little more for your money.

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
I'm still nailing down the "too wet" thing myself. Im a pine lover so there's not much room for error. you'll be surprised how well things like lava rock hold water below the surface.

Also... i don't mean to be rude at all, only trying to be helpful. Your tree is cool, but that price tag is alarming. I know buying trees in person is king but if you spent that much on a prebonsai on ebay I think you'd get a little more for your money.

No. It’s fine.
I’ve realized I probably spent a little more than I should have on this (and my other) Bonsai.
I’ve never bought a plant on the internet. I feel as if that wouldn’t turn out well at all?

So, I’m kind of confused.
Is lava rock good or bad?
From just.wing.it’s response it seemed like a porous substrate (like lava ..as stated further down the response) was good but from your response it seemed bad due to it holding water.

Quite frankly I haven’t a clue on what soil to use.
The potting soil, sand and pea gravel is the mixture I started using because somehow I found that as a good mixture during my research.

I guess right now I just need to know if there is anything to do with this Schefflera.
I don’t really see it recovering.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I watered it right before I took the picture.

Good advice tho.
I just repotted not too long ago.
Not sure how big of a problem the soil is though. I’m getting different answers about that one.

You think it would just be better to leave it alone or should I change the soil again in hopes it’ll recover better?

If option two, I assume a mixture of some of those?
I'd leave it for now... don't want to stress it too much.
Just try to be careful with over watering.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The soil could be ok for a healthy plant with correct watering, but yeah it looks like a problem for you at the moment. Be careful with the watering (and stop dunking). The difference with the water retention for lava for example, than the potting soil that will stay sopping, effectively drowning roots.

Top Bottom