Bonsai shears & quality/price ranges

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I'm planning on buying a pair or two of shears this year and was looking at what was around. One thing I've noticed is that there are pretty significant price stratifications that supposedly correspond to quality level.

For instance, for "standard-size" shears in the major categories, there seems to be a $13/14 price range, then a $18/19 one, then $24/25, then $32-35, then everything $40 into over $100, which is out of my budget.

At what point is there a noticeable quality-level improvement?
Are the $13 and $18 shears practically the same, but the $24 are much better...or is there very little difference until you start paying $80? At what point is it worth paying extra? At what point should you suspect the price is "too good to be true"?

I basically want something that will perform its function well and last for several years. I don't mind if I might want to replace them with top-of-the-line tools later in life, but I don't want to feel that I *need* to replace them with something sturdier or better-working just because they wore out fast or were poorly constructed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
How many bonsai do you have? Would you label yourself as a beginner, intermediate, or advanced? The answers to these questions will determine your needs.

For most people, Joshua Roth makes some nice shears around the 30 - 40 range that suffice nicely and will do just fine and they are sold often at typical bonsai shops.

You can find information on Joshua Roth tool grades here and descriptions of all the different types here.

Will

Last edited:

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
How many bonsai do you have? Would you label yourself as a beginner, intermediate, or advanced?
About 20 pre-bonsai, including two-year-old seedlings. And I'm certainly a "beginner", though I've been at this for a few years.

Thanks for the info and links!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're welcomed.

Joshua Roth will have something for your needs and inexpensive enough to justify spending money on, since you will lose at least one pair and damage at least a couple more before you realize how valuable they are. ;)

Good luck,

Will

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Never dealt with them , but good rep., look at N1 down the page, these are typical, and have worked for me. Not sure of brand, but these with decent care will last a while.

http://www.natureswaybonsai.com/tools.htm#top

They say heavy pruning, I say if you are carfull, but this would be a good all around tool. Can you try the fit in your hand or are you e shopping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom