Bonsai sickle

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm looking for a recommendation for a bonsai sickle.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a couple Yoshiaki sickles. Don't believe they are still in business, though.

I use them, work good. Might be able to fashion something home-made.....but for sure, these puppies ain't butter knives!!!
23450-aint-nobody-got-time-fo-dat-me-dNtR.gif

Not multi-purpose, per se...…better off getting some different sized/blade configuration knob/wen cutters.:cool:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not multi-purpose, per se...…better off getting some different sized/blade configuration knob/wen cutters.:cool:

I just need the one configured for bonsai roots and um.... throats?

On second thought, skip the throats I don't need to do that like ever. Just bonsai roots only.

It's kinda funny. Here I have to look and hunt for one. Back in the old country I just have to go to the market. They have all kinds of high carbon sickles from tiny to big, slight slant/hook to half circle ones.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope, just looking to cut roots. No throats.:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sickles really only help to extricate a tight tree, not much else of use. Throat? Be a pretty grim, dirty job. Like buying a chef's knife at a dollar store.:oops::D:D:D:D:D

…...besides, much funnier to punch somebody in the throat, if'n the throat is your "thing"......:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nope, just looking to cut roots. No throats.:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sickles really only help to extricate a tight tree, not much else of use. Throat? Be a pretty grim, dirty job. Like buying a chef's knife at a dollar store.:oops::D:D:D:D:D

…...besides, much funnier to punch somebody in the throat, if'n the throat is your "thing"......:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
When I was little, we used small sickles with partial curve extensively for weeding the garden. It is so easy to snake the blade in and, with that little curvature, pulling the blade out slice the weeds clean off quickly. After being razed to the base a few times, the weeds just ran out of energy and died.

For the big stuff around my pond (or ankles J/K) I used a scythe. Sure beats my weedeater.

Last edited:

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you checked American Bonsai? I've purchased a few tools from them and have been very happy with their quality.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We’ve been using something really close to this at the Huntington to work around the container edge of large pots. I’m not sure where they came from, but they look identical. The edge is serrated but not saw-toothed.
I was giving a class to a garden club, just last night. I teach garden tool maintenance and sharpening. A question came up concerning sharpening one of these babies. At the price you show above, I'd just hang it on the wall and buy another.
However, I do remember my father teaching me to sharpen crosscut and rip saws back in the day. The difficult skill is learning to "set" the teeth. Even if a few teeth were done incorrectly, the saw would wander all over the place.
Sharpening a serrated edge is easy if you have the right diameter round file.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We’ve been using something really close to this at the Huntington to work around the container edge of large pots. I’m not sure where they came from, but they look identical. The edge is serrated but not saw-toothed.

In case people don't already know... Japanese saws cut on the pull. English saws cut on the push. I assume these Japanese sickles cut on the pull... which would allow you to slide it into a pot with minimal resistance.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought a Russian one. It took about 8 weeks in shipping. It wasn't worth the wait.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai sickles don’t have to be particularly sharp. You drag them alongside the inside edge of the pot. They hit lava and pumice. Which dulls them. Sure, they’re rough on roots. But who cares? You’re going to cut those roots off anyway!

That one that was pictured is perfect.

Top Bottom