Bonsai Snob...

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bonsai-snob (noun) a person who actually knows about bonsai and upsets others by telling the truth.
Don't you think an expert can speak the truth with a tone and tenor that makes it instructive and encouraging, and not dismissive or condescending? Granted, some people are easily offended, but hammering a newbie who is excitedly displaying a recently acquired twig they paid too much for, seems unnecessary (not that I've seen much of that, recently).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leo, You are trying your best to become a Bonsai snob, a person here that thinks they know everything....
Now THAT is funny...Leo has given pretty damn good advice on a huge variety of things, without being an asshole...I doubt he thinks he knows everything. From what I've seen, he knows quite a bit however. Beware the green eyed monster Bolero. Not a good look on you

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't you think an expert can speak the truth with a tone and tenor that makes it instructive and encouraging, and not dismissive or condescending? Granted, some people are easily offended, but hammering a newbie who is excitedly displaying a recently acquired twig they paid too much for, seems unnecessary (not that I've seen much of that, recently).
I can respect that. I do think that it should be done as tastefully as possible. Some individuals however are overly sensitive and do not accept genuine help. I guess a lot comes down to the interpretation of what is said and the attitude of the giver. Let me tell you it hurts when the master tokd me 'what the heck is that' or 'that's just terrible' but at the end of the day I make good trees because I could handle critique and sometimes still do. To be a true artist in the field of bonsai requires buckets of humility and a mind open to learning.
Anyway thats my two cents

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I think a lot of times things may be written in haste to get the info out in case the one who has advise to give may forget later and things seem terse in print because there is no human component and then the receiving party perceives an insult where there may not have been an intention to insult?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think that being too frank is often not appropriate when dealing with strangers. Fathers often feel they have the right to say anything they want to their children because their intent is righteous. Sometimes, maybe most times, it would be better to be less frank and couch instruction in a way that is intentionally softer so the child concentrates on the instruction rather than the need for it. I think the same line of thinking applies here. Just because somebody is doing something stupid doesn't mean that they need to told it is so. It's better to skip over the insulting part and concentrate on what a better way would be. I try to convey what I do and not critique what other people do. Unless of course, I'm poking a dragon, but that's different. The dragon won't change his scales, anyway.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Years ago, my former boss counseled on the topic of emails, that before you hit send, you should read it aloud, as if you were sending it to your mom. If you would feel comfortable sending it to your mother, it would be okay to send in a business context. Seems to me that the same principle could be applied to posting on forums.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think that being too frank is often not appropriate when dealing with strangers. Fathers often feel they have the right to say anything they want to their children because their intent is righteous. Sometimes, maybe most times, it would be better to be less frank and couch instruction in a way that is intentionally softer so the child concentrates on the instruction rather than the need for it. I think the same line of thinking applies here. Just because somebody is doing something stupid doesn't mean that they need to told it is so. It's better to skip over the insulting part and concentrate on what a better way would be. I try to convey what I do and not critique what other people do. Unless of course, I'm poking a dragon, but that's different. The dragon won't change his scales, anyway.
Well said, Forsoothe!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
  • that only following the rules they believe in makes worthwhile trees;
  • that calling someone out to ‘show pics of your trees’ defeats someone else’s question, opinion, or effort;
  • that the anonymity of the internet is a license to be an asshole.

Sounds exactly like Frary and a couple other know it alls:rolleyes:!

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I can't help but roll my eyes every time I see a twig in a pot. Yet I am guilty of making every rookie mistake in the book.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds exactly like Frary and a couple other know it alls:rolleyes:!
Pots, you ‘be been asked multiple times to post pictures of your trees. And you never do.
Can you at least tell us why you won’t post pictures?

When I first started posting here, I too, didn’t post pictures of my trees. And, I’ll tell you, I got no respect! No respect at all! Until I started posting pictures. I now get at least a LITTLE respect! Lol!!!

seriously, pictures speak a thousand words.

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
Just a new guy perspective here. I started here last summer because imho there is no equal to help me on my journey. I look at it like starting a new job. There are those with seniority and experience, mid level and newbs mixed together. I tend to keep my mouth shut and eyes open, plucking wisdom where I can find it. I take screen shots, notes etc. I see who is helpful and although they dont know it, they are appreciated. I dont always have to "like" someone to gain knowledge from them either. For the most part I take the meat and leave the bones. Many of you have helped me and I thank you for it. And this thread was a landmine lol.

Top Bottom