Bonsai Society Of the Carolinas Arthur Joura Visit

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
On Saturday, the Bonsai Society of the Carolinas hosted our annual visit from Arthur Joura, Curator of Bonsai for the Staples Collection at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, North Carolina. Arthur has been visiting us for the last 12 years in August. After the 97 degree temps this Saturday, he is thinking August might not be so good.

He visits with us, shares his growth as a bonsaist, the growth of the Collection and the Arboretum, and tell us about the October Bonsai Expo at the Arboretum.

Attached are some poor pictures I took of Arthur.

1st is a Trident Maple bonsai donated to the Arboretum by Dr Beverly Armstrong, retired bonsaist and life time member of the BSoC, who recently turned 90.

2nd is of a Pitch Pine bonsai collected from a pasture in Virginia and donated to the arboretum after many years as a bonsai in a personal collection. Arthur mentioned who collected and owned the tree, but I do not remember. If anyone else who was there see this and remembers, please remind me.

The third picture is of Arthur planting a satsuki azalea on a large slab of North Carolina stone and the last picture is of the "finished" product after the demonstration. Arthur did not wire as he did not want to bore us, which as he should know by now, could never happen.

The BSoC meeting was held at the Bonsai Learning Center in Charlotte, NC.

Regards,
Martin

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing those pics with us. Is that lichen on the bark of the Pitch Pine?

Ash

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ash,

Yes, it is lichen. I assume it came with the tree when collected and has been left on. I had my 2 sons with me at the meeting, so I did not get to pay as much attention to what Arthur was saying as I would have liked, but I believe the above to be correct.

Regards,
Martin

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chris,

I did not take any others. I will check local and see if anyone else has any.

Regards,

Martin

Top Bottom