bonsai soil vs high end potting soil such as "Ocean Forest" by Fox Farms

lorax

Sapling
Reaction score
I was thinking of using Ocean Forest because Ive used this soil before for my regular plants (not bonsai) and its pretty amazing (plants grow incredibly fast and healthy). I would add rocks or clay pieces for airflow and drainage. But, bonsai soil probably exists for a good reason.

pros and cons of each would be great.

this is for a bonsai rosemary btw...
thanks

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
This is a similar thread to one that was on here recently, except the "potting soil" was Miracle Grow. I think that the consensus was that commercially available potting soil was used for growing out trees. It is mixed with various inorganic items like pumice, perlite, lava, etc, for drainage. I think it would be fine for that, I fact, I do the same.. For finished trees, I am unsure.

John

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It all comes down to what you are trying to do with it. If you are just potting trees and plants into nursery pots trying to grow them out... Potting soil is fine! Reducing the rootball, planting into a Bonsai tray and starting to train the tree actively to give some slower growth, fine ramification... You want a small, tight rootball full of fine feeder roots... Which you basically need to get a looser more airy soil mix to produce. That is what Bonsai soil is for..

Besides that- You don't want to fill your 5 gallon bucket sized pots with $50+ worth of a Bonsai soil do you? I know I don't!

I basically mix my own bonsai soil and my own "potting mix" now. I just combines peat and Pearlite with a few other "soil conditioners" to get a light, airy mix that I can fill the larger pots with. The tree grow like gangbusters in it so far, and produce real happy, but THICK, roots... Then, once I get the trunks I want/ the vigor back to a high level/ generally a real healthy, mature tree that is ready for training, I start working them down to a Bonsai pot. Usually I do it over the course of a couple years and a couple repots depending on the species and size of the tree.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does it help to say - remember your core [ zone under the trunk for x inches filled with roots ] and how that highly organic material will age.
Good Day
Anthony

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have used it for three years in pots.When mixed with a hard aggregate it will decompose and wash out the drain holes in the second year which became an issue.I am moving to soft akadama this year for my shallow pots.It was 50/50 ocean forest and Dyna rok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 47

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ultimately a good bonsai soil is one that does not break down over at least three years and ten would be preferable. Most commercial potting soils turn into muck in less than two. Of course there are the probably exceptions to this assessment but one would have to be familiar with ever possible brand of commercial potting soil to accurately answer this question. Then it breaks down into what materials are being grown. Conifers need the really swift drainage and the others, not as much.

You can grow a bonsai in almost anything for a period of time if you know what you are doing according to water, fertilizer and replacement when needed. Here is the conundrum: if you have to ask; you probably do not know enough about fertilizer, water and the process of replacing the soil when it wears out to do this only as a gamble.

lorax

Sapling
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. much appreciated.

Top Bottom