Bonsai South

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wanted to do a quick write up of my buying experience with Bonsai South (www.bonsai-south.com) out of Louisiana. At the suggestion of @rockm I decided to shoot Zach an email as I was wanting a piece of Sweet Gum material and he responded very quickly with pics a double trunk specimen. When I say quick, I mean quick, during the entire process I emailed him back and forth several times and he nearly always replied the same day, most of the time within a couple hours. I had him box up that sweet gum pre-bonsai and I went ahead and picked up a potted Cedar Elm from his site as well.

Due to the health of the trees he was able to ship them sooner than I expected (He originally quoted middle of July but deemed them ready to go on July). I received a shipping notice with Fedex Tracking numbers the morning of the 1st. Due to the 4th of July holiday they didn't arrive until Friday morning but no big deal, he did assure me that they would be fine in boxes for that long. Sure enough, I had two nice sized boxes delivered by fedex this morning and wasted no time unpacking the trees. Forgive the photo locations as I am working from home today and have my surface and spare screens set up in my normal picture location.

Here is a shot of the trees as boxed, I have only removed the first layer of packing peanuts in this pic.
IMG_20190705_083401.jpg

Once unboxed and all of the packing peanuts cleaned up (SO many peanuts - these trees were packed very well) The Cedar elm is already potted and he did a great job of protecting the pot for shipment.

IMG_20190705_084431.jpg

I also need to mention the care sheets and paperwork he sent out. I've ordered a few trees online and this has been the most comprehensive info I've seen sent with trees. Zach included basic care sheets for the species as well as a care sheet for what to do with them the first couple weeks after receiving the shipment.
IMG_20190705_085434.jpg

IMG_20190705_085510.jpg

All in all, I am 100% satisfied with the entire buying experience from start to finish with Bonsai South. He also has a ton of great information on his website via articles and progressions hes made on his own trees. I encourage anyone in the South who is looking for material to check out www.bonsai-south.com.

Here are a couple shots of the trees unpacked before I set them out on my shade bench:
IMG_20190705_085321.jpg

IMG_20190705_085202.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good for you. Nice trees. I have one of Zach's care sheets with species specific info that dates back to about 1998 or so...It's in black and white and scanned pics. Came with the BC I bought from him back then. Good to see those species specific care sheets. They can come in handy.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn, I thought he was taking a break from selling material until he had more developed stock. Maybe I'll send an email on of these days...

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn, I thought he was taking a break from selling material until he had more developed stock. Maybe I'll send an email on of these days...
Trying to split the baby. Lots of folks looking for stuff, so I put aside what I can for the future.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All in all, I am 100% satisfied with the entire buying experience from start to finish with Bonsai South. He also has a ton of great information on his website via articles and progressions hes made on his own trees. I encourage anyone in the South who is looking for material to check out www.bonsai-south.com.

Here are a couple shots of the trees unpacked before I set them out on my shade bench:
I really appreciate the kind words!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, I will chime in too. Zach is the man. I've got 4 of his trees now, with a 5th on the way. Everything I've received has been better than expected.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Best vendor experience ever. I received my first tree from Zach today. It was actually double boxed, and the pot carefully wrapped. It arrived in perfect condition, not even a dropped leaf, which is unusual for a bougie that is shipped. He is very helpful, and is quick to answer emails, which has not always been my experience with other vendors. Just an all around nice guy, I hope to purchase more trees from him in the future.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My phone takes horrible pics btw it looks 10x better in person :D

Top Bottom