Bonsai stamps to be unveiled.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Sacramento CA. the new bonsai stamps will be unveiled on January 23, 2012.

This was my email:

The bonsai clubs in Sacramento have been honored by the selection of our city as the site for the official unveiling of the new bonsai postage stamps. (invitation attached) The ceremony will be at the Shepard Garden and arts Center on Monday January 23 at 10 AM. I hope we can have a good representation from our club. Early purchase of stamps and hand cancelling will be available for collectors. See you there!

http://www.beyondtheperf.com/stamp-releases/bonsai

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
That's the email I sent out to our club and it looks like it got forwarded on to you. Good! This is pretty exciting stuff. Apparently they chose Sacramento because the Sacramento Bonsai Club is the oldest bonsai club in the U.S. Especially appropriate since the GSBF Convention will be in Sscramento this October.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually I was sent this by the GSBF President Gareth Shepard. He will probably be there as well as Kathy Shaner who was cc'ed on my email.

How far back does Sac. go? The Fresno club started in 1952.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The Sacramento Bonsai Club was founded in 1946 when a group of Sacramentans arrived home from internment camp. I went on a collecting trip to the white mountains with the club back around 1990 and several of the members I was with showed me where they had been imprisoned at Manzanar. I found it a very moving experience to hear their stories and was hugely impressed by their stoicism about the experience....

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty impressive....Naka's group didn't get going until 1950...they were at camp Ameche.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Should prove interesting to see how the response is from the regular people to the bonsai community.
Glad I signed the petition to help this along, nice to see our stuff has some appreciation.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Are these stamps going to be released to the general public? What I should be asking is, when will these stamps be in my local post office? Or do you have to buy them online or something?

-Troy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not crazy about the trident either... Who designed these, and were they based on actual trees?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like them all except the azalea...

Hmm. I was gonna say I don't think much of the pictures. Better, I think, if they'd gone with photos -- maybe some of the National Arboretum trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For heaven's sake, they're comemorative stamps, NOT display photos.;-) Quibbling about the artwork (and it's adequate, IMO) kind of misses the point....??

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm pretty geeked about it, to be honest. I shan't hide my shame...I will be buying many books of these to last my lifetime. lol -- Unless they get some with better pictures, at least. :D

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Exciting! I'm for anything that could boost the general publics knowledge of good bonsai. I think they did a decent job at least of showing good trees-could have been alot worse. I really like that they have a Sierra Juniper stamp. Now we need someone to make a good movie with really nice trees in it-to really get a boost in interest in the U.S.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I like them . I'd like them even better if they had commissioned Peter Adams to do them and used all native american trees instead of just one.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's what I was just thinking! I picked up Peter's book on Japanese maples recently and it has some of the best bonsai drawing's I've seen. Would've been awesome if he was commissioned for it!

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also like the fact that they used sketches of bonsai, instead of real pictures. A sketch is playful and informal. A picture is much more serious and less lively. In case of a stamp. I'd much rather go for playfulness and creativity, since that can reach out for a wider audience. I asked my kids, also showing them some pictures from the book Imperial bonsai of Japan, and they chose the sketches without even thinking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom