Bonsai stamps

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this link from a friend on Facebook. A series of bonsai stamps is coming from the USPS, apparently. Exact timing to be announced in the fall...

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Very cool! I can't wait to buy a bunch of them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With all the wonderful native American trees that have been developed into bonsai wonder why the USPS chose plants from other countries? Sierra Juniper excepted.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Eunice Corp, who is the founder of the Sakura Bonsai Society in Traverse City, got the ball rolling on this. Her original paperwork to the USPS did specify honoring American Bonsai.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I don't know do you prefer wax on, wax off , or do you prefer paint the fence. Up, down.:D

The ones of Mr Miagi aren't preglued, you lick em.

Too bad the didn't go to Roy Nagatoshi for examples to shoot, he had been involved with the movie.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the post office went with drawings because they just look better in smaller format than photos. A reduced photo would look kind of amatuerish. An artist's rendering of the tree looks like artwork, rather than an attempt to reduce a photo to cram it on a stamp...It can also be painted to fit the format. Just look to the postage stamp treatments of Elvis, baseball players, wildlife and other "specialty" stamps by the USPS. They are all artists renderings for the most part.

And species don't really make much difference here. People don't really understand what "bonsai" is, much less "native bonsai."

rock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the post office went with drawings because they just look better in smaller format than photos. A reduced photo would look kind of amatuerish...

Disagree .lots out there,many many countries... ours are a sad representation... :mad:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 33
  • images1.jpg
    images1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 27
  • images2.jpg
    images2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Top Bottom