Bonsai Summer School

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got the go ahead to teach a bonsai summer school class at my school. YIPEE! It will be a 3 week long class open to 3rd-5th grade students. I will be teaching bonsai history, plant care, pottery, tools and other miscellaneous factoids. I plan on having the kids make their own mama bonsai pot and fill it with a portulacaria.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just got the go ahead to teach a bonsai summer school class at my school. YIPEE! It will be a 3 week long class open to 3rd-5th grade students. I will be teaching bonsai history, plant care, pottery, tools and other miscellaneous factoids. I plan on having the kids make their own mama bonsai pot and fill it with a portulacaria.
Its very admirable of you to do so....Those kids are lucky. Good luck and have fun.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks Carol!! Had an awesome helper yesterday! Potted up 100 cuttings in no time. Here she is with the example.View attachment 358247
View attachment 358248
That MIGHT be the coolest shirt I’ve ever seen.

This is a GREAT thing!

What a wonderful opportunity for those kids!

Do it well, my friend...

...Do it well.

🤓

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And have 8 pairs of eyes 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Kids will absolutely love this, good on you 👍🏻 Would love to hear how it goes!
Oof, I remember filling in for an arts teacher. The school decided that 34 kids in a small arts and crafts room full of sharp objects was a good idea. It wasn't..
Most of them turned out alright!

@AZbonsai keep an eye out for contact-allergies. Some people, especially kids, can have minor allergic rash responses to plant sap - it's rare but if you're dealing with a hundred kids there can be one or two. Water and soap is the best remedy. Just keep that skin out of sunlight for a day or two.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This class would have saved me from years of wasted time in the aquarium hobby. Can't even imagine where I'd be skill wise now if my timeline was moved up a decade or more

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Summer Bonsai Academy is shaping up. 40 students have registered so far! Doing a little advertising today to generate more applicants. Going to be great.
This is great. What an awesome way to get people into the hobby. The bonsai gods will smile on you with this excellent missionary work and witnessing the good news of the Holy Bonsai Spirit. Mr. Miyagi would be proud!

giphy (1).gif

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It's awesome you are doing this, get the kids away from the screens and doing something with their hands. If I would have had that opportunity in grade school, I would probably have some really good trees by now!.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This class would have saved me from years of wasted time in the aquarium hobby. Can't even imagine where I'd be skill wise now if my timeline was moved up a decade or more.

Yeah. After 20 years of keeping fish, I've concluded that it's a lot of work for little payoff. No matter how perfect you think your setup is, fish die sooner than they should. I've shifted to koi and goldfish ponds and bonsai. I haven't lost a single goldfish or koi after a full five years, and the fish breed like crazy when kept outdoors. Fortunately, the adults eat most of the eggs and juveniles, so the pond isn't overstocked.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's awesome you are doing this, get the kids away from the screens and doing something with their hands. If I would have had that opportunity in grade school, I would probably have some really good trees by now!.
I am looking forward to it! Kids and teachers excited about it. I will be sure to update with the latest.

Top Bottom