Bonsai Techniques for Satsuki

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
This book is now 30 years old and is as rare as hen's teeth. It is the only book on satsuki written by the Great John Yoshio Naka with Richard K Ota and Kenko Rokkaku. It is the definitive book on creating satsuki Bonsai. We have a copy on auction now on Bonsai Basho.

This book is a collectors item. It was only printed in Japan and there are very few left.

http://www.bonsaibasho.com/micromarket/?url=/marketplace/marketplace/i180

Bonsai Basho

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Or, you can order "Satsuki Azaleas for bonsai and azalea enthusiasts" by Riobert Z. Callahan, sold wherever bonsai books are sold, and get up-to-date information on satsuki care and training.

Old books are fine for collectors of bonsai books -- like me -- but I certainly wouldn't rely on them for good info (especially if you don't live in Japan).

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When I looked there weren't any bids in on it yet, I assume it is in Japanese.

Whatever language it is printed in, number one is it is by Naka, then you have info from one of the MOST RESPECTED bonsai artist ever, I wager there is some very good info on raising these, regardless of the age of the book.

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi There

The book is most definitely in English, printed in Japan but In the English language. Secondly yes it is a collectors item but it is without doubt the difinitive book on creating Satsuki bonsai from raw material.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This book is listed on more than a few collector books sites online. Median price is about $250. Some copies are listed at $600. The book is in English and meant for the US market. The training methods illustrated are mostly traditional Japanese techniques.

I have a very hard time believing (even if John Naka wrote it) the information in such a book is worth that kind of money. This is simply a collector's piece with a little bonsai history in it. I'd bet John Naka himself would laugh right out loud at the prices it brings nowadays.

If you're looking for information on how to grow azalea bonsai, you can find it in more than a few drastically less expensive places. If you're a book collector it might be worth it.

Last edited:

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi

You are 100% right it is a book for a Naka enthusiast and you are right again John Naka would probably think the prices out there are crazy. But........ still a good book, still valid and this one is on auction with a reserve less than the figures on the book sites. Its there if anyone is interested.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree. It is a good book. If it's less pricey than the other book sites, it's even better.:D

Top Bottom